OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drones for scouting?

Started by lowoctane, June 09, 2021, 10:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

Curious about this for turkeys. Have used mine for deer and after they get familiar with the noise and visual, they settle down. Usually takes a few days. Turkeys tho?
                                               :funnyturkey:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Dtrkyman

lowoctane

I have a friend who is in charge of 3 Missouri Dept of Conservation areas, so I'll be contacting him with the legalities of flying over state and private land, but I am curious about how turkeys will respond if they are legal to do so... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Greg Massey

illegal in my state during hunting seasons .. just opening another can of worms..

GobbleGitr

Whether legal or not, not the quality I am looking for in how I hunt.  Less technology is more if you are able bodied.  Unless you own the land, that is a disrespectful way to harass wildlife as well as the people who also use the land.  Shouldn't have to be illegal to see the issues here...this time of year with hens on nest, and with the threat aerial raptors are to turkeys, keep your drone out of the woods.

chadly

Some of the state ground I hunt have large open fields.  The birds like to strut in those fields in the afternoon if its not too hot/sunny.  I've been wondering how long it will be before people start flying drones to see if the birds are there as opposed to taking the time to sneak in.

jhoward11

I kind of chuckled at this...you know it won't be long and we won't even have to go out of the house to "hunt/scout". We can have technology scout/shoot/and bring the bird to us.lol. I'm not knocking what others do, I just laugh when I think about it all.

owlhoot

Not legal in Missouri.
As with most things , wise to check before you do it.

rakkin6

Here in Tennessee illegal on all public and private lands in season. If caught using during season $5,000 fine.

Now if it is legal and you want to do it I am sure it could be effective. Just fly has high has you can. We used those little drones a lot in Syria and Iraq and the
a$$holes we were looking for never knew it was there.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

ChesterCopperpot

If my "scouting" required drone intel I'd sell my gun and take up origami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Boots on the ground scouting is half the fun.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Meleagris gallopavo

I'm not sure it would be a big advantage.  Where I hunt they're very unpredictable so far as day-to-day patterns.  Seems like you'd be going to a lot of trouble for nothing.  I'd just assume scout from the ground and use binoculars. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

lowoctane

Quote from: warrent423 on June 09, 2021, 04:42:11 PM
Quote from: lowoctane on June 09, 2021, 10:00:21 AM
Curious about this for turkeys. Have used mine for deer and after they get familiar with the noise and visual, they settle down. Usually takes a few days. Turkeys tho?
That's all I need to know about you as a "hunter"

So judged without qualifying?
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Meleagris gallopavo

So, it's okay to hide a camera in the woods that can take pictures of a deer in a given location that also records the time and "may" give you a live feed over the phone if you shell out the $$$.  But fly over and see them with a drone is terrible?  I don't see people bashing trail cams, but maybe I'm on the wrong forum for that.  I'll find out in a few minutes I'm sure.  I'm sure there are problems with using drones around game and all that, but using remote cameras to watch game movements isn't a major difference.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

rakkin6

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on June 09, 2021, 06:15:42 PM
So, it's okay to hide a camera in the woods that can take pictures of a deer in a given location that also records the time and "may" give you a live feed over the phone if you shell out the $$$.  But fly over and see them with a drone is terrible?  I don't see people bashing trail cams, but maybe I'm on the wrong forum for that.  I'll find out in a few minutes I'm sure.  I'm sure there are problems with using drones around game and all that, but using remote cameras to watch game movements isn't a major difference.

^^^THIS^^^

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER