OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red vs Green

Started by ChesterCopperpot, June 06, 2021, 08:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

I recently put a red dot reflex sight on my wife's gun. First one I've ever tried, used, put on a gun. Kind of like it and thought about adding one to a dedicated shotgun of mine and at first I was entertaining the idea of a green dot rather than red. I've read the differences in how our eyes respond to the colors, read that some folks love them and some hate them, etc., but my question is this: has anyone running a green dot encountered blending into the background? Where I live and hunt looks like some place Rambo's about to come crawling out of, just a solid wall of green, so it's pretty important to me that the contrast be clear. The red is a fuzz harsh on my eyes and I'd prefer green, but hate to go that route and encounter issues after green up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Ward

I don't think it will be a problem.I am using a green fiber optic bead and it is not an issue. It will show up fine on game animals, unless you are targeting iguanas lol! I find green dots work better with my astigmatism than red. Going to go that route when i build a dedicated turkey gun eventually.

HookedonHooks

On a low brightness I could see it having some trouble, but at mostly full magnitude it should still pop against backdrop, and especially pop when on the birds neck.

I find that green is also much more preferable for me in low light early in the morning or late in the evening. I have a couple deer guns with illuminated cross hair in the scopes. Last year my buddy thought he'd prefer red and it was drizzling and low light early and when he pulled the scope up he said it was totally red and couldn't see through the scope very well at all. Unfortunately we didn't work out that kink prior to him pulling the rifle up to a deer, and what could have been his first buck kept on going.

GunRunner

I use the green dot in the first few hours of the morning only. The green is easier to see in low light.
I will switch to the red after the sun is up a ways as it is easier to distinguish in the brighter day time light.

GunRunner
:turkey:

Greg Massey

For the last several weeks i have looked at both the red and green circle dot, the red was little disordered and the green was a lot better. I've looked thru several different brands and yesterday our Local Academy Sports had one of the Swampfox green circle dots and it was great looking thru it ... I new i had 20 percent off code on the Sawmpfox Kingslayer so i order it last night, it's just a good simple optic.  The 20 percent off code is SARGE20

the Ward

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 06, 2021, 10:07:31 AM
For the last several weeks i have looked at both the red and green circle dot, the red was little disordered and the green was a lot better. I've looked thru several different brands and yesterday our Local Academy Sports had one of the Swampfox green circle dots and it was great looking thru it ... I new i had 20 percent off code on the Sawmpfox Kingslayer so i order it last night, it's just a good simple optic.  The 20 percent off code is SARGE20
I've been seeing quite a few positive posts on those sights. I really like how it has a circle dot, i much prefer those to a plain dot.Let us know how it works out for you when you get it mounted up.

Greg Massey

Quote from: the Ward on June 06, 2021, 10:59:44 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on June 06, 2021, 10:07:31 AM
I've been seeing quite a few positive posts on those sights. I really like how it has a circle dot, i much prefer those to a plain dot.Let us know how it works out for you when you get it mounted up.
Wii do... i talked with couple of the guys in that department and they both had this optic in green on there guns.. they were really happy with them for the money.

the Ward

Happy

Personally I am a fan of a green circle dot. I have the ability to switch one of mine from green to red and I have just found I use green more and more often. My boy used my gun this year some and he said the same.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Neill_Prater

I much prefer green. Unlike some of the posters, I find green even more desirable in bright light as the red, even when set at full intensity, tends to wash out and isn't as easy for me to see.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

grayfox

I've always preferred green. I do have both on my Truglo Trubrite but run the green about 98% of the time. When everything turns really green later in the season I have used the red a few times but honestly could have been ok with the green. To me the green is just more pleasant to look at & seems easier on my eye. It's probably preference just like dot size.

guesswho

I prefer the green as well.  Blending has never been an issue.  Check out Holosun.   This is my first year usin one and I have zero complaints.   I like the three sight picture choices.  I've about settled on just the green circle.  Do a little experimenting and you can use it as a rough range finder.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: guesswho on June 06, 2021, 04:02:52 PM
I prefer the green as well.  Blending has never been an issue.  Check out Holosun.   This is my first year usin one and I have zero complaints.   I like the three sight picture choices.  I've about settled on just the green circle.  Do a little experimenting and you can use it as a rough range finder.
That's what I'm planning on is a Holosun (kinda torn between two models), but I was thinking that same thing this morning about ranging with that circle. At 50yds the average eastern ought to be right about twice the height of that 32moa circle, maybe a fuzz bigger. In other words I think you could safely assume as soon as they're twice the height of that circle you'd be in range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Back around 95-98 era I had a red/green scope, I found the green much easier in all conditions myself including in foliage which surprised me.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

CALLM2U

Back in the day, our bows had metal pins with the tips of them painted normally red or green.  I always hated the red ones because I could see the green better.   But then I wouldn't use green dots in scopes because I could see the red better.   :z-dizzy:

Humans are funny, fickle creatures.  ;D