OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I may have to move. Call Packing Tips Needed

Started by Sir-diealot, June 04, 2021, 12:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

With my landlady dying the kids have told me they intend to sell the house, I am not sure what is going to happen with me but I have ordered a bunch of totes, some bubble wrap and tape to start putting my calls and hunting gear away. Is there any certain way I should pack stuff, I am most worried about my "box calls" if you will as well as all my wood calls which are most of them. Would it be wise to get silica packs to toss in with the calls? How could I waterproof the totes? I was thinking of wrapping in duct tape when they are packed and then getting some kind of calking, maybe silicone to seal them better. The totes I got are a different color from all my other totes so I will know they contain hunting gear of some kind, I would rather not write what is in them on the totes. On a side note please say a prayer for the family, the service for their mother is on Sunday and it is going to be hard for them. Please say a prayer for my situation as well, I have lived here for 30 years and do not want to move, unless it is downstairs to save my poor knees. I have a very difficult time with stairs so I can't even carry my own stuff out, hills are little problem but stairs are dangerous for me, I am not sure how things are going to go if I have to move, that is why I am starting to pack things now.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

crow

First off I would check what the laws are for them making you move out in a hurry, pretty sure they can't just force you out.

Cowboy

Quote from: crow on June 04, 2021, 06:38:06 AM
First off I would check what the laws are for them making you move out in a hurry, pretty sure they can't just force you out.
Agreed.  Prayers sent up for all involved. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

captpete

For the silica packs, check with your local pharmacy. They get them in medicines and probably just toss them out. I bet they would save them for you for no to little cost. I did that when I was into building my own trail cameras. In a week I had more packs than I would use in a couple of years.

Tom007

Prayers for all, best of luck Steve........everything will wok out.
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Cowboy on June 04, 2021, 06:59:25 AM
Agreed.  Prayers sent up for all involved. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I do not feel they are going to ask me to move themselves, it is whomever buys the place that I am worried about. They are pretty good people and the daughter that lived with and took care of her mother has told me I have two months anyway, they are just finishing up their house they are building next door. I am out of checks and do not even intend to order those until I know the address is going to remain the same, the only people I ever wright a check to is them for the rent anyway.

Quote from: captpete on June 04, 2021, 07:06:20 AM
For the silica packs, check with your local pharmacy. They get them in medicines and probably just toss them out. I bet they would save them for you for no to little cost. I did that when I was into building my own trail cameras. In a week I had more packs than I would use in a couple of years.

That's a great idea, thank you.

Quote from: Tom007 on June 04, 2021, 07:07:09 AM
Prayers for all, best of luck Steve........everything will wok out.

Thanks bud.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

the Ward

I think you will be fine with some good totes. Slip them inside some big garbage bags and you should be fine. Don't put anything susceptible to getting wet on the bottom of the tote when packing, so if water does get in items won't get ruined. And make sure to get rid of stuff you don't really need or use in yard sale. I have moved several times, and every time we have moved stuff that we ended up getting rid of at new home. Pare down before you pack. Sorry to hear about your situation, hope everything can work out for you.

Dtrkyman

foam packing peanuts.  I would also put a piece of green scotchbrite under the lids of box calls.

X1000 on unloading un needed things!  Felt like being born again when i moved from my home of 15 years, man did the wife and I stack up some useless stuff!  I am not a facebook guy, she had an account and stuff under 100$ was gone quick!

Gooserbat

Wrap in bubble wrap, put a rubber band around the box calls pack snugly in a box and use news paper for filler.  You should be fine.  That's how I shop and if the post office don't break them I'm 100 percent sure you won't.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Old Timer

Quote from: Gooserbat on June 04, 2021, 09:24:55 AM
Wrap in bubble wrap, put a rubber band around the box calls pack snugly in a box and use news paper for filler.  You should be fine.  That's how I shop and if the post office don't break them I'm 100 percent sure you won't.
Steve I think this is the way to go. Take your time and do a little at a time. God bless and good luck my friend.

Greg Massey

Just wrap them up best you can and put them in totes .. that should be fine..

Sir-diealot

Well my landlords daughter has started to send me adds for apartments for rent, I guess I know what that means. It is going to take me at least 4 months to get up the money I need to move, I am in deep trouble.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: the Ward on June 04, 2021, 09:10:16 AM
I think you will be fine with some good totes. Slip them inside some big garbage bags and you should be fine. Don't put anything susceptible to getting wet on the bottom of the tote when packing, so if water does get in items won't get ruined. And make sure to get rid of stuff you don't really need or use in yard sale. I have moved several times, and every time we have moved stuff that we ended up getting rid of at new home. Pare down before you pack. Sorry to hear about your situation, hope everything can work out for you.

Quote from: Dtrkyman on June 04, 2021, 09:21:07 AM
foam packing peanuts.  I would also put a piece of green scotchbrite under the lids of box calls.

X1000 on unloading un needed things!  Felt like being born again when i moved from my home of 15 years, man did the wife and I stack up some useless stuff!  I am not a facebook guy, she had an account and stuff under 100$ was gone quick!

Quote from: Old Timer on June 04, 2021, 09:36:21 AM
Steve I think this is the way to go. Take your time and do a little at a time. God bless and good luck my friend.

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 04, 2021, 09:38:34 AM
Just wrap them up best you can and put them in totes .. that should be fine..

Thanks guys, I will try all of this, the things that matter most to me as far as material things are my firearms, my turkey calls, my camera gear, my computer, my entertainment equipment, my recliner, my bed and my ham radio equipment.

John Koenig:

West Augusta

Bubble wrap may stick to the finish on some calls.
I go to the Dollar Store or any discount store and buy large packages of socks.  Slip your box calls in socks first to keep them from getting scratched.    Plus that gives them some protection.  Then bubble wrap and totes.   I store many calls that I don't display in totes for protection and have a different tote for each style of call.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: West Augusta on June 04, 2021, 10:32:18 AM
Bubble wrap may stick to the finish on some calls.
I go to the Dollar Store or any discount store and buy large packages of socks.  Slip your box calls in socks first to keep them from getting scratched.    Plus that gives them some protection.  Then bubble wrap and totes.   I store many calls that I don't display in totes for protection and have a different tote for each style of call.
Thank you for that information, especially about the finish. I should have added that I do have the boxes that the calls from Mr. Watkins, Mr. Fetters, and Mr. Snoddgrass came in so I will put those in those, but it is good to know not to use bubble wrap against the finish. I will still wrap the boxes in bubble wrap as well for protection. I have a 30 liter dry bag and I think I will add as many as can safely be added into that as well for additional protection. I am sorry, I am thinking as I go here. I also just bought a bunch more Tupperware Little Wonders bowls to put some pot calls in.

John Koenig: