OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Motivation Drives Action – US Slams: the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Started by Garrett Trentham, June 03, 2021, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett Trentham

Motivation Drives Action – US Slams: the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Over the past 3 years, I've begun traveling more to turkey hunt. There's a variety of reasons behind this. Primarily, a good friend of mine brought the idea of a US Slam to my attention. I hadn't heard of such a feat so I started doing some research. My buddy bought me Vol I and II of Doc Weddle's Turkey Tails and Tales from Across the USA. As I read the books, the romanticism of chasing turkeys for the entire spring, living out of a truck, and experiencing the various landscapes that turkeys inhabit grew on me.

As he and I dug further into the motivations behind completing a US Slam, our discussions came to several dead ends. Questions of "why" became burdened with "how." If you kill a gobbler on the first hour of the first morning in Mississippi, logistically speaking, you'd have to immediately take off to another state. After all, knocking off five to ten new states a year is a major feat of logistics and luck. This turn-and-burn methodology begs to question the motivation behind chasing a US Slam. Did you really experience Mississippi turkey hunting if you were only there for a night in the truck and ninety minutes of hunting? Did you get to build any relationships with other turkey hunters while there? Did you give more than you took from that area? These are questions that need answers before I could dive into such a monumental goal.

No doubt, there's plenty of good that's come from the increased popularity of the US Slam. More people hunting turkeys in more places should be a good thing. Turkey hunting, when done legally and ethically, is always a positive. Completing that slam in one lifetime is a massive undertaking. It requires an incredible amount of logistics and planning, hard work, dedication, budgeting, and stick-to-itiveness. Pursuing and accomplishing big goals like that builds character – and the world needs men with character. Even if the entire process is all turn and burn, you'll still come away with priceless experiences. The license and tag sales will benefit the conservation of wild turkeys in every state you hunt and the money you spend locally benefits rural economies and helps underline the importance of having turkey hunters on the landscape. I fully concede – it's not all bad.

That being said, there are some negatives that weigh in as well. Hunting pressure on many public areas has increased dramatically - particularly as more information becomes available to hunters. Smartphone apps give you every single little piece of info you'd ever need from licenses and regs, to maps and real-time weather. Finding and killing turkeys in unknown areas is easier than it's ever been. YouTube channels share success all the way down the online map pin in some cases. I've personally seen a YouTube series hunting an area successfully one year and a ten-fold increase in non-resident hunting pressure the following year. Is correlation causation? Hard to believe the two aren't closely tied together. Along with this increase in hunting pressure comes an increase in harvest. Trying to call up and kill pressured turkeys is one thing, but when the majority of the two-year-old gobblers are killed by mid-season, it takes tough to a whole new level. Can these public areas sustain this level of pressure long term? Is this hunting pressure keeping local hunters at home? If so, that could wreak havoc on the funding and management of these areas. As we all know, it's the local voters that have the most weight in driving the management of public hunting areas.

It seems as though this fad is rearing its ugly head. My perception is that ego is the driving motivation behind most of these folks' pursuit. Perception is reality. When we behave one way, others perceive that behavior and respond accordingly. Their perception of our actions drives their actions and all actions have tangible consequences. Ego also drives men to throw ethics out the window. Multiple times this spring I had turkeys bumped out from under me by hunters that knew I was there. After speaking with them, they were there chasing the slam and had a limited and decreasing amount of time to kill a bird. This type of behavior is not a good thing, and the other side of the coin is just as ugly. I've spoken with several folks that were chasing the slam and were knocking off one state each year. What's the point? Why chase a goal and half  it? This underlines the modern American dilemma of apathy towards productivity. If you set out to do something, and you share your goals with your peers, but make no real attempt at succeeding, what is the benefit in that – for you or anyone else? I believe these folks need to reevaluate their motivations or their actions will suffer.

This year, while traveling, 90% of the trucks I saw parked at public hunting areas were from out of state. Of the non-resident hunters I spoke with, all but two of them told me within a minute of meeting that they were trying for a US Slam – whether it was relevant to the conversation or not. It conjured up jokes about vegans and crossfiters. That, to me, was a bit stomach churning – and, to be honest, I'm not totally sure why. We're both there as non-residents chasing turkeys – why does it matter why we're both there? My best guess is that their need to tell others about their intentions made it clear to me that their motivations were less than sincere. They weren't there to simply chase turkeys and enjoy it, they were there to "knock off another state." Gag me.

Personally, I'm not interested in it. Hunting transplanted turkeys on an island in the middle of the pacific that have to roost in bushes doesn't spike my emotions enough to pay for the plane ticket out there. Sure, if I were there already and had the opportunity, I'd give it a whirl. I'll try anything once, and I don't knock anyone else for wanting to try it either. Also – is there really that much difference between killing a turkey in Rhode Island and killing one in Massachusetts – or Vermont vs. New Hampshire? Where do you draw the line? Why not try to kill a turkey in every county of every state?

The bottom line is that motivation drives action. If your motivation behind pursuing a US Slam is to share it on social media or brag about it, it's going to lead you down a dark path. Your behavior will suffer, your mental state and stress levels will suffer, and you'll be a leach on the resource.

However, if you're purely in it for the personal challenge and the experiences it will undoubtedly gift to you - I say more power to you! Chase your goal, climb your mountain, enjoy the experience, but don't post about it on social media until you're done and then go write a book about it so I can buy it and read it myself.

So, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter?

Am I being hypocritical and judgmental? Definitely and I do try to keep that at a minimum, but I also believe this is something that needs to be thought out and discussed by anyone passionate about chasing wild turkeys outside their own backyard. My opinions can be changed.

My ultimate hope is that our actions ensure that we can all continue turkey hunting, have viable populations of turkeys to chase, and that in 50 years folks are still doing the same thing with the same level of vigor.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Tail Feathers

It is strictly a personal challenge I think.  Those who take it on better have a lot of drive and time to get it done.  I know a couple who have done it and/or are in the process.  I figured out that I just don't have the drive at my age for such a task. I still travel to hunt each spring but not at the pace that challenge requires. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

arkrem870

The influx of non-resident hunters is from social media and YouTube hunters creating a viral sensation over traveling to hunt. Turkey hunting has been sold out by your YouTube heros. All there is to that
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

turkeyfool

I did 5 states this year. It's pretty stupid to roll in somewhere and shoot one the first morning. If the state limit allows for it, in that particular case, I hang around for a few more days to continue to hunt, but also get the taste of an area. I probably like that just as much as I do the actual hunting.

In fact, I don't mind if I have to go back to a state for a second year in a row-with the exception of Mississippi. I shouldn't have to explain why that is lol. But to answer your question, it is pretty ridiculous on what it's becoming. One of my closest friends rolled into a state for like 1 hour this year and got it done. Seems pretty crazy to me, but if that makes him happy, I guess that's all that matters. What I would say is that 1. it's really not easy and 2. the fad will go away when something new comes along. I do think we over-exaggerate the amount of people doing it a little bit. I hardly ran into other hunters this year

Dtrkyman

I just simply love hunting these birds, hunting them in new places is always interesting and typically challenging.

I hunted 4 states this year, I typically hunt 5 to 7, added two new one's and it was basically out of convenience, I have virtually no interest in the US slam or even a grand slam for that matter, Florida is not high on my list.

I can hunt a cluster of states in a 10 day period and have the opportunity to shoot quite a few birds, I hunted a new area of a familiar state this year, one I wanted to try a new area for the challenge and two it was closer to home, I have killed birds in 3 completely different areas of that state. 

I spent twice as much time in one particular state this year, tough hunting but also a nice place to stay and good friends kept me there even with the tough hunting and weather.

Just go out and enjoy the spring, if you want to puff out your chest and act like "Pro Joe" turkey hunter have at it, but that is not what it's about! 

Gooserbat

I personally see myself eventually getting a US slam but it's a crawl not a sprint.  I get to hunt 3-4 states each year and at that rate it's going to take time. 

I enjoy going new places, I mostly get to hunt later so by the time I get to a location it may be the last week of season and the odds of tagging out quick are so slim.  It takes some doing to find, figure out and kill a bird. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

howl

All fifty states? Even the ones with yankees in them? Pass.

I get more out of hunting flocks in specific areas over multiple seasons. Getting to know the birds and having a picture of the comings and goings adds a lot to the hunt. Just blowing through and killing one doesn't really do much for me. In fact, if I travel and kill too many temporally close together turkey hunting loses some of the appeal. Never have understood the appeal of running around from state to state taking the cream off before heading to another motel to do it again. It seems immature.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: arkrem870 on June 03, 2021, 11:52:37 AM
The influx of non-resident hunters is from social media and YouTube hunters creating a viral sensation over traveling to hunt. Turkey hunting has been sold out by your YouTube heros. All there is to that
The internet May have fanned the flames but I was traveling for birds before I could watch YouTube. Remember dial up internet?  :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Mountainburd

Good post by the OP. I've been thinking a lot about this lately as well. It's really getting ridiculous. Am I the only one left that still gets great satisfaction out of trying to fill my 3 tags in my home state, and then maybe hunt an adjoining state or two with some friends for a couple days? Sheesh. Everything today is about going big in grandiose fashion or go home.

The idea of blowing through states with no sleep, no enjoyment other than killing a turkey just isn't for me. When I do my trips with my buddies, we stay for a few days. Hunt hard all morning, trout fish or golf in the afternoon, and then dinner and some beers in the evening. That's fun to me. Some years we do well, some we don't

I do wonder what's the motivating factor for the push for the slam? It's really quite ridiculous when you think about it. The money spent , time away from family, killing just to knock that state off the list. No thanks.

I respect the time talent and perseverance it takes to do this. I just fear it's ruining the sport and depleting a struggling resource.

Garrett Trentham

Quote from: turkeyfool on June 03, 2021, 12:36:42 PM
I do think we over-exaggerate the amount of people doing it a little bit. I hardly ran into other hunters this year

Interesting. It could very well be that my anecdotal evidence doesn't line up with reality. I'm primarily hunting states that are popular "travel to" areas like TN, MO, and KS.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

guesswho

As much as I enjoy turkey hunting, I have zero interest in a US slam.   I've hunted turkeys since the 60's and have only killed 3 varieties or species, or whatever you call them.   I'm sure at some point I'll probably kill a 4th, but that's not a goal I have.   For the people who have done it or have it on their bucket list, more power to you.   I hope you had or have a blast in your pursuit. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Garrett Trentham

Quote from: Mountainburd on June 03, 2021, 04:00:44 PM
Good post by the OP. I've been thinking a lot about this lately as well. It's really getting ridiculous. Am I the only one left that still gets great satisfaction out of trying to fill my 3 tags in my home state, and then maybe hunt an adjoining state or two with some friends for a couple days? Sheesh. Everything today is about going big in grandiose fashion or go home.

The idea of blowing through states with no sleep, no enjoyment other than killing a turkey just isn't for me. When I do my trips with my buddies, we stay for a few days. Hunt hard all morning, trout fish or golf in the afternoon, and then dinner and some beers in the evening. That's fun to me. Some years we do well, some we don't

I do wonder what's the motivating factor for the push for the slam? It's really quite ridiculous when you think about it. The money spent , time away from family, killing just to knock that state off the list. No thanks.

I respect the time talent and perseverance it takes to do this. I just fear it's ruining the sport and depleting a struggling resource.

People definitely enjoy things differently. I'm all for anyone that wants to go at it as hard as they'd like. Sometimes thats the only way to truly accomplish a goal. Running a marathon doesn't make sense on paper, but people do it all the time and some get an incredible amount of benefit from it.

The issue I'm seeing is the folks wanting to chase the US slam but not truly going at in an organized and reasonable manner. Instead they're primarily after the hashtags and social media likes instead of truly working towards accomplishing their goal and enjoying the battle/experience of it. If they hunt a state and leave empty handed their ego is hollow - which at times pushes them beyond the limits of ethics. If they were in it for the right reason, they would take their licks and adapt without sacraficing integrity - because to do so would crumble the entire motivation behind it.  Do they really want to finish a US Slam or do they want to be able to tell everyone they're working on the US Slam? These are two entirely different motivations.

Again, I could be dead wrong on this, but I don't believe I am. It's impossible to climb inside another person's head and know their intentions. I make a concerted effort to treat everyone I run into with respect. Me being a jerk about it isn't going to help the issue from any angle. We all know where making assumptions about people on first impressions can get you...

I hope it is a fad and that these folks that are doing it to be or at least appear to be "cool" are going to fall out of it in the coming years. We'll see.
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Turkeyman

I also have zero interest in a US slam.  I retired in February several years ago thus bought several NR licenses to hunt several states. I killed 13 toms that spring starting mid-April and ending in May. I didn't enjoy it near as much as I thought I would. It seemed I was always in a hurry to get a bird and then on the the next state. Anymore if I plan on just a few birds in a few states and I'm satisfied. Now...granted the YouTubers and Facebookers want to kill birds everywhere they can to promote their channel and ego...that's fine...but it's not me.

GobbleNut

Great write-up, Garrett.  Your assessment of the various motivations is well thought out and equally well conveyed.  I have thought about the subject some myself, but because my reasons for turkey hunting are apparently different than some folks, I have never really attempted to "get below the surface" in truly evaluating what motivates people to do the U.S. slam thing.  I personally just can't relate.  I do, however, look at it from perhaps an entirely different perspective than maybe other folks here do.

Simply put, I love to turkey hunt,...but I am not obsessed with it to the point that I am willing to abandon the other responsibilities and relationships I have in my life that deserve attention to a greater degree than my desire to go turkey hunting.  If I was single, had no obligations other than fulfilling my personal desires in life, and had the financial wherewithal to do it, I might consider spending two or three months a year galivanting across the country,...but the fact is that I do have other obligations in life and, in my mind, they override my desires to turkey hunt at will. 

Unless someone is completely independent and void of interpersonal relationships, as well as possible financial obligations that supersede the not-insignificant costs of running about the country to turkey hunt, there reaches a point,...or at least there should,...where a person has to ask themselves whether they have gone too far with their passion such that it has become an addiction that needs an intervention.

Having said all of that, if anybody truly fits the parameters I've outlined of total independence and lack of personal obligations,...and their goal is life is to focus singularly on turkey hunting as their "end all, be all", then more power to them.  Quite honestly, and perhaps apologetically, I find myself having more sympathy for them than I do admiration.

arkrem870

I've killed turkeys in a lot of states and spend 5-6 long weekends every year on the road camping and hunting. Been doing this for the last 17 years. It's a balance.  That said the us slam doesn't appeal to me. I just want to hunt.....where doesn't particularly matter
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS