Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looks like the MDC is gonna get some of that YouTube money.

Started by Roost 1, June 01, 2021, 07:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyN

Quote from: owlhoot on June 02, 2021, 08:55:43 PM
Surprised more states don't do this.
Many do have that rule but it's not enforced very well.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Cowboy on June 02, 2021, 08:05:58 PM
Any way you slice this, it is another TAX. Government dipping into the pockets of Americans already paying taxes and hunting fees, etc. Filming a freaking deer or turkey shouldn't matter considering the folks already buying a hunting license to kill that freaking game animal. This is absurd. Wildlife will never see a nicke that money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They are not forced to pay the tax. They can choose to go to private lands where free enterprise is at play. Or not video for commercial purposes on public land in MO.

CALLM2U

Quote from: Spurs Up on June 03, 2021, 12:37:58 PM
They are not forced to pay the tax. They can choose to go to private lands where free enterprise is at play. Or not video for commercial purposes on public land in MO.

So they're not "Public land owners"?

FL-Boss

Other states will see this and follow suit, you can guarantee the government will jump on any new tax opportunity. With that said, I think it's near impossible to enforce. After all, you are talking about hunters miles deep in the middle of the woods with a small Go pro.

fallhnt

Quote from: CALLM2U on June 02, 2021, 03:54:34 PM
So...  Youtubers decide not to pay the fee and instead film somewhere else.  So the state doesn't get that money.  Then, since the Youtubers don't produce videos in that state, out of state hunters don't travel which means the state doesn't get their licenses fees like they did in the past.  So in the end, they actually lose money. 

Not to mention the hotels, restaurants, gas stations, local businesses ect that benefited from those traveling hunters.
What did we ever do before YT ? The struggle is real.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

arkrem870

Before YouTube.....People hunted turkeys. Killed turkeys. Most kept it quiet because loud mouthing about your public hunting spots is/was dumb.  Ever ask a turkey hunter if he has heard anything? .......answer. Nope haven't heard a thing. He has nothing to gain by giving up a spot. But youtubers need the attention. They need the likes. They need the clicks. They need more hunters. They need more Hunter scouring their videos for clues as the where they are. Because that's how they make money. They justify their actions because they need the $$. And it's at the expense of local hunters around the country through crowded woods and more strict regulation. 

Dtrkyman

Missouri will not see any money, because even the most popular tubers aren't making enough to pay 500$ a day for a turkey vid.

Missouri did not allow filming, so not sure what they are after, seems they maybe should have consulted some folks to see what they were willing to pay?   Maybe they did who knows?

Say THP hunted Missouri, hunt was a lil tough and they hunted 4 days, 2k for just the filming plus all there usual expenses, seems like too much overhead to me.

Which Gun

It just ain't you tubers. It's almost everyone now days. Facebook people have to put what they have for supper on there. Sure are plenty of game animals and fish on there to. It's all egos. You tubers are no different then Primos, the Knights and Realtree outdoors. The Bill Dance and Roland Martins of the day.  What about hunting magazines they do the same thing about areas they hunt do it yourself hunts. Don't you think people traveled to those areas they hunted and fished.  The you tubers are just small timers trying to make it to the big leagues.  Just so many out there now. Way of the times. Everyone trying to get recognized.

Can anyone tell me how This Bill got started.  Was it from local hunters or local anti hunters. Was there that many people running through the woods with cameras.

So is everyone with a tactacam or GoPro going to be guilty till he proves his innocence.

I've never hunted out the State where I lived. I would like to someday.  Be nice to research areas first.

This is the United States of America people have the right to enjoy all the States. I live in NC where people come from all over to bear hunt. Trains of trucks ten deep most of times. I don't like it but they're free people in a free country. 

I know I'm glad when I need to work on my truck or anything else I can go to you tube to see how it's done.

Cowboy

For the record, the last time I hunted MO, I watched some poaching jerk shoot the gobbler I had working to me from the middle of a gravel road out a jeep window. Shot it, ran out into the woods, ran back grabbed the loaded gun stopped looked at me shocked. Probably because I stood up , with his shotgun at port arms. Ran into woods second time, shot again. I left that PUBLIC LAND and never went back. True story. So I dont have any love losted for the Show Me state. And the Youtubers had nothing to do with this. Back 25 years or so ago. 

Howie g

So , what about the bass fishing tournaments that are filmed on public waters? How would that work ? Who would pay ? Just the producers , or all the individuals involved?

howl

Using public woods and waters for profit is taking more than your fair share. They should have to put more in if they get more out. Same with public roads. A trucking company should pay more tax because they use more of the road.

Fdept56

I'm glad Missouri is doing something but this will only effect a small amount of the public ground and will be easy to work around. Conservation areas will be subject to the payment but national forests won't.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Fdept56 on June 03, 2021, 03:31:07 PM
I'm glad Missouri is doing something but this will only effect a small amount of the public ground and will be easy to work around. Conservation areas will be subject to the payment but national forests won't.

Me too. The National Forests have long required a permit for commercial activities including video productions done for profit. Preaching to the choir, but if you're going to try to commercialize activities on lands we all own, it's fair to expect you to pay more than those of us who are not trying to make money off our lands.  Video all you want for free for personal use but pay if it's commercial. It's hard for me to understand why some think that's government overreach and they are entitled to more.

arkrem870

The forest service should do something about it then. They are clearly commercial filming for profit. The evidence is plastered all over YouTube.

simpzenith