Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looks like the MDC is gonna get some of that YouTube money.

Started by Roost 1, June 01, 2021, 07:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CALLM2U

So...  Youtubers decide not to pay the fee and instead film somewhere else.  So the state doesn't get that money.  Then, since the Youtubers don't produce videos in that state, out of state hunters don't travel which means the state doesn't get their licenses fees like they did in the past.  So in the end, they actually lose money. 

Not to mention the hotels, restaurants, gas stations, local businesses ect that benefited from those traveling hunters. 

deerhunt1988

Fairly certain MDC didn't allow commercial filming on their conservation areas before this. Aaron from THP had even mentioned something about it in a podcast a few years back. So their MO hunts had to be filmed on areas owned by other entities, i.e. Federal lands.

Hopefully Missouri's decision to allow filming with the pricey permit sets a precedent that other state's follow. Although I'm not even sure i'd agree that a $500/day permit would offset the damage done to our public land resources in certain areas caused by the YouTubers.

For those saying Missouri is going to lose a lot of money, government overreach, blah blah blah.... Missouri is one of the most well funded state wildlife agencies in the country thanks to their dedicated conservation tax. They weren't getting film permit monies from their conservation areas before, because they didn't allow it. So they only have money to gain from it now. And any money gained will be insignificant in their overall budget.

MDC is a model state wildlife agency that always seems to be one step ahead. They were one of the first to reap the benefits of a conservation tax. Their turkey season structure is slowly being emulated by various other states. Now they are getting ahead of the curve on commercial filming and protecting the public's wildlife resource. Doesn't surprise me a bit that MDC is the front-runner on this dilemma. Believe it or not fellas, not every state is concerned with raking in every penny possible!

Props to MDC

3bailey3

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: CALLM2U on June 02, 2021, 03:54:34 PM
So...  Youtubers decide not to pay the fee and instead film somewhere else.  So the state doesn't get that money.  Then, since the Youtubers don't produce videos in that state, out of state hunters don't travel which means the state doesn't get their licenses fees like they did in the past.  So in the end, they actually lose money. 

Not to mention the hotels, restaurants, gas stations, local businesses ect that benefited from those traveling hunters.

I believe this line of thinking will end up being incorrect. Me personally, I try to avoid the states the youtubers recently hunted because all the fan boys mindlessly follow them around like puppy dogs. I experienced it firsthand this year. Hunted a state where THP was the previous year and people were EVERYWHERE. 5 trucks at one gate, people camping at access points, etc. Just a complete sh*tshow. I will gladly hunt any state they haven't been to in the last 3-5 years. Y'all can have the crowds of guys wearing fanboy hoodies and hats. I'll go elsewhere.

CALLM2U

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on June 02, 2021, 04:34:01 PM

I believe this line of thinking will end up being incorrect. Me personally, I try to avoid the states the youtubers recently hunted because all the fan boys mindlessly follow them around like puppy dogs. I experienced it firsthand this year. Hunted a state where THP was the previous year and people were EVERYWHERE. 5 trucks at one gate, people camping at access points, etc. Just a complete sh*tshow. I will gladly hunt any state they haven't been to in the last 3-5 years. Y'all can have the crowds of guys wearing fanboy hoodies and hats. I'll go elsewhere.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the "yous" are much less than the "thems"  Which was my point. 

FWIW, I don't have a dog in this (YouTube) fight either way.  But I do pride myself on trying to see all sides of the argument.  There are downsides to every action-especially when there are penalties/taxes involved. 

Cowboy

Not that I'm taking sides with the Youtubers, but this Government overreach is getting ridiculous. And you all know this money will never flow into the needed areas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

They are welcome to go to private lands where they can video for free...

arkrem870

It's past time for this to happen.  In all states

Cowboy

Any way you slice this, it is another TAX. Government dipping into the pockets of Americans already paying taxes and hunting fees, etc. Filming a freaking deer or turkey shouldn't matter considering the folks already buying a hunting license to kill that freaking game animal. This is absurd. Wildlife will never see a nicke that money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: CALLM2U on June 02, 2021, 04:56:14 PM
Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on June 02, 2021, 04:34:01 PM

From what you're saying, it sounds like the "yous" are much less than the "thems"  Which was my point. 

FWIW, I don't have a dog in this (YouTube) fight either way.  But I do pride myself on trying to see all sides of the argument.  There are downsides to every action-especially when there are penalties/taxes involved.

That's correct, hence why I said it will "end up being incorrect."  There are definitely more folks doing the former rather than the latter right now and there will always be the fan boys trying to follow their idols. However, people that want to avoid crowds will quickly learn (and already have to some extent) not to visit states where the youtubers have recently been, broadcasting specific parts of states. And then the tax dollars and license sales will balance out. And yes, Missouri is ahead of the curve on this no doubt. I hope Florida follows suit. These bozos on YouTube are definitely taking more than they are giving back.

But hey, it's all about the content and merch sales. All under the guise of "hunter recruitment"

And it's all for the betterment of the turkeys fellas! Haven't your heard!

arkrem870

Hunter recruitment. Means more clicks. More clicks means more money. How dumb can people be supporting the outright pimping of public land hunting and turkeys.  South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia etc dropping restrictions directly related to this pimping that hurts both residents and non-resident that hunt public lands.   

St. Augustine Strutter

Quote from: arkrem870 on June 02, 2021, 08:22:15 PM
Hunter recruitment. Means more clicks. More clicks means more money. How dumb can people be supporting the outright pimping of public land hunting and turkeys.  South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia etc dropping restrictions directly related to this pimping that hurts both residents and non-resident that hunt public lands.

PREACH!

owlhoot

Surprised more states don't do this.
Also surprised that more states don't have a law that states if you don't have tag (filled or unfilled)  you may not assist another hunter.

Roost 1

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on June 02, 2021, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on June 02, 2021, 08:22:15 PM

PREACH!

Amen!!!

Neill_Prater

I live in Missouri. I don't hunt public as much as I did way back when, but I support this rule. I've never had a problem with non resident hunters, love to hunt other states myself, but there's a difference in an individual hunting for their own personal enjoyment and trying to make a profit. No difference on this and banning guides from taking clients to public land, which I also support.

Also, I think many are missing the point. It's rather obvious to me that the intent isn't to collect the fee, but rather to stop the practice altogether without actually banning filming.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk