Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looks like the MDC is gonna get some of that YouTube money.

Started by Roost 1, June 01, 2021, 07:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Glad to hear this will not stop the private individual (in theory) but it will be interesting to see how things go, as a person that takes pictures (I do not feel I deserve to be called a photographer yet) it would be quite bad if they restricted your normal citizen from coming in and taking pictures or taping.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Happy

Figured that was coming and more will follow. I only hope that money goes directly back to public lands and habitat improvement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TonyTurk

Never underestimate the ability of a government entity to find new and creative ways to take someone's money.

Crghss

Quote from: Happy on June 01, 2021, 08:16:21 PM
Figured that was coming and more will follow. I only hope that money goes directly back to public lands and habitat improvement.

We can only hope.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

GobblinNC

Did I read this correctly that the "Youtubers" on MDC lands will have to pay of fee of $500 a day?

HookedonHooks

Quote from: GobblinNC on June 02, 2021, 08:51:38 AM
Did I read this correctly that the "Youtubers" on MDC lands will have to pay of fee of $500 a day?
The article is basically saying those that have been filming hunts on MDC property and monetarily gaining from it have been doing so illegally, but they will make a more established and legal language law that would require them to pay for a video and photography license to film on MDC property for the future. It made reference to "indirect monetary gain" so that would include self-filmed hunts that you upload to a viewing platform even if you don't expect them to get views and render any monetary gain. You couldn't say well I have no followers, if they are truly for your self you can private videos and make them no longer viewable to the public. It said $500 / day for the videography, for most the YouTube guys they're not making that much money on their videos due to YouTube policies that limits their ad revenue and gives them a creator cut far less than any "family friendly" channel.

If other states follow suit, expect the YouTube hunter to struggle to survive, - couple very large channels will make it, but all the guys with just a couple thousand subscriber won't. They are making enough money to just pay for their tags and some gas is all for many of them.

the Ward

CALLM2U

Quote from: TonyTurk on June 01, 2021, 08:20:49 PM
Never underestimate the ability of a government entity to find new and creative ways to take someone's money.

You beat me to it. 

Jmbradt3873

Probably means less money in the long run. These guys who have video platforms won't go there anymore, hence neither will the masses that follow them. I have not gone on an out of state hunt, and prefer to hunt close to home, but there are lots of people trying to do the "Super Slam", or whatever they call it. Unless the state is Wisconsin, out of state licence and tag fees are a lot more than the locals pay. If they lose money generated by out of staters the cost will be deferred to the locals, so their fees will have to go up to cover the loss in revenue. Let's face it Big Brother doesn't have the best interest of hunters in mind when budget planning time comes around.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on June 02, 2021, 12:44:53 PM
Probably means less money in the long run. These guys who have video platforms won't go there anymore, hence neither will the masses that follow them. I have not gone on an out of state hunt, and prefer to hunt close to home, but there are lots of people trying to do the "Super Slam", or whatever they call it. Unless the state is Wisconsin, out of state licence and tag fees are a lot more than the locals pay. If they lose money generated by out of staters the cost will be deferred to the locals, so their fees will have to go up to cover the loss in revenue. Let's face it Big Brother doesn't have the best interest of hunters in mind when budget planning time comes around.

I think the point is they dont want them coming and profiting off the resource... once again MDC sets the standard when it comes to wild turkey management.

GobblinNC

I agree. I'm glad to see it and hope more states follow suit.

Jmbradt3873

Not saying it is a bad thing. I live and hunt in Florida, so everybody who wants to kill an Osceola has to come here. I have no problem with that. However this year, a whole lot less was done for the turkey management than in other years, blame whatever you want, covid 19, etc. I did not see a single game warden at all and I only missed a couple days in our almost 6 week season. There were a huge number of people hunting and most followed the laws. The gas pipe line and easements are normally planted with food plots by the NWTF, but weren't this year. That said I still killed my one turkey, allowed 2 for the season, but I never kill two. Instead I spent the last 5 weeks of the season watching turkeys move from area to area or tried to fool one for my wife and son, no luck. I think you tube and hunting videos are responsible for people wanting to try it and covid gave them the time. But charging money for videoing may end up backfiring on them, more people will just avoid those states, and people who post videos for friend and family will be left holding the bag. I don't mind paying more to hunt, and I never video, just a couple of pictures to remember the hunt, but that's just me. My son on the other hand would love to video his hunts, not sure where he posts them but he enjoys it. Too much stuff to tote in the woods, I switched to a 20 so I had less weight, and walk farther, not to carry more junk. Just my .02, ymmv.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Roost 1 on June 02, 2021, 01:20:17 PM
I think the point is they dont want them coming and profiting off the resource... once again MDC sets the standard when it comes to wild turkey management.
Exactly. I expect many states to follow. MDC is one of the best funded departments in the country and if this is a move they look to make I can only assume many will follow as they receive even less tax %.

Dtrkyman

Most places require these guys to have film permits, lots of guys talk of it in their videos.  500 a day will eliminate em all!

Guys can work out better deals with an outfitter and film their hunts on private.

I kind of like it but kind of don't, uncle sam dips into our cash enough!  As stated if it is directed back into habitat that would be good, but not many are going to fork up the 500 a day.

I have not seen a youtube crew anywhere I have been, and I hunt a lot of public for turkeys.