OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My can of worms.

Started by Gooserbat, May 31, 2021, 02:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost 1

Quote from: arkrem870 on May 31, 2021, 04:04:12 PM
Those who are attempting to monetize turkey hunting have a different view point.  The more turkey hunters the more likes on social media or more product sold benefitting their bottom line. Appealing to the masses through social media brings in scores of new hunters/and help making traveling to hunt a viral sensation. This adds stress to the resource resulting in more restrictions and less opportunity for all.  South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama etc etc. every action has a equal and opposite reaction. It elementary.  That's my bone to pick.....

I'm in the same place as you, certain groups of people are exploiting a dwindling natural resource for their own monetary gain.  The bigger issue is that a lot of people are ok with it.

arkrem870

Spinning wing decoys are ground zero for the duck situation.....the wholesale slaughter of juvenile ducks up and down the flyway has consequences   
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Gooserbat

Quote from: arkrem870 on May 31, 2021, 04:18:30 PM
Spinning wing decoys are ground zero for the duck situation.....the wholesale slaughter of juvenile ducks up and down the flyway has consequences   

This is not a duck forum... No offense but
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Pluffmud on May 31, 2021, 04:13:30 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 31, 2021, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: Pluffmud on May 31, 2021, 03:45:30 PM
I'm beginning to think that some of y'all are using a different alias on the Refuge Forums. Tuleman, is that you???
Not Tuleman but I can't help but wonder what there is to argue about with legal duck hunting methods?  I'm not on that forum but I've heard there's bickering with that bunch too.  Is it social media? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Social media for sure. The hot topics lately are:

Pressure
Nonresidents
Extended range chokes
The Kansas subforum in general
Where are the ducks
There are no ducks
Habitat
Too many hunters
Not enough ducks
The gubmint ain't allocating tax dollars for ducks properly
DU isn't either
RM Custom calls vs $10 Handel's
Mud motors

You see, it's really just a bunch of like minded individuals, all who are passionate about hunting waterfowl, have seen a decline in recent years, and are scrambling to point blame on something/someone. This forum has trended that direction the past few months.
Okay.  It's not so much the hunting methods then.  I duck hunting a lot and I typically blame the weather for no ducks.  Not much to argue about there.  But honestly I get to shoot enough ducks.  We use decoys and calls and a jerk string.  We also have a dog that retrieves.  I didn't think there'd be much to argue about there either.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 31, 2021, 04:30:02 PM
Quote from: Pluffmud on May 31, 2021, 04:13:30 PM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 31, 2021, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: Pluffmud on May 31, 2021, 03:45:30 PM
I'm beginning to think that some of y'all are using a different alias on the Refuge Forums. Tuleman, is that you???
Not Tuleman but I can't help but wonder what there is to argue about with legal duck hunting methods?  I'm not on that forum but I've heard there's bickering with that bunch too.  Is it social media? 

Social media for sure. The hot topics lately are:

Pressure
Nonresidents
Extended range chokes
The Kansas subforum in general
Where are the ducks
There are no ducks
Habitat
Too many hunters
Not enough ducks
The gubmint ain't allocating tax dollars for ducks properly
DU isn't either
RM Custom calls vs $10 Handel's
Mud motors

You see, it's really just a bunch of like minded individuals, all who are passionate about hunting waterfowl, have seen a decline in recent years, and are scrambling to point blame on something/someone. This forum has trended that direction the past few months.
Okay.  It's not so much the hunting methods then.  I duck hunting a lot and I typically blame the weather for no ducks.  Not much to argue about there.  But honestly I get to shoot enough ducks.  We use decoys and calls and a jerk string.  We also have a dog that retrieves.  I didn't think there'd be much to argue about there either.

Uh oh.  I need to delete my post...

Happy

I just hope this thread lasts long enough for me to read it while sitting by my fire with a beverage. Should be entertaining.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

WOW from turkey hunting to duck hunting. Very interesting post .. lot's of opinions ..

Meleagris gallopavo

I do sincerely apologize for bringing up duck hunting.  I agree with the OP on this btw, if it matters.  If you've seen my comments on similar threads you know that.

owlhoot

Quote from: Happy on May 31, 2021, 04:39:44 PM
I just hope this thread lasts long enough for me to read it while sitting by my fire with a beverage. Should be entertaining.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Chug Chug Chug Chug   CHUG   ;D

arkrem870

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 31, 2021, 04:21:42 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on May 31, 2021, 04:18:30 PM

This is not a duck forum... No offense but

I'm not offended
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Pluffmud

I brought up duck hunting. I'm not sure which one I enjoy more... Waterfowl or turkey. I have a deep love for them both. They really are not at all much different from one another. I brought it up because It seems to me that turkey hunting is beginning to go through the beginnings of what the waterfowl hunting community is now... A House Divided. It will not stand. Take a step back and look at the issues amongst the waterfowl community, and look at what we can do to keep that from infecting the turkey hunting community as well.
Psalm 46:10

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 31, 2021, 02:37:17 PM
You're quick to throw blame around but it's not the traditionalist's fault.  It's this new breed of hunter, this new attitude of kill at all costs that you should blame.

The ones that care more about the kill than the hunt.  Turkey hunting ain't what it used to be that's for sure.  As has been previously stated, lots of turkey killers but few turkey hunters. That's more true now than it ever has been.  The purist/old school/traditional hunters have respect for the quarry and know that the hunt is WAY more important than the kill.  The end result is somewhat anti-climactic to us.  So no, we don't just hunt to "kill" turkeys.  We know that turkey hunting is about calling the bird to you.  As one famous old school guy already mentioned, "Calling is Everything".  When it comes to Spring Turkey Hunting and how the game is to be played, that statement is 100% true.  But thanks for bringing this up again. It's refreshing to know that some people would rather us set back in silence and pretend that all of this is OK when we know otherwise.
I agree with much of what you say, but to be honest I saw absolutely not one single place where he signaled out traditionalists. I do agree that the kill at all costs attitude is very bad, I blame mostly TV shoes and Youtube for that myself. That said I have started buying some of the old Primos Truth series videos from 2001 on back, I think it was far more laid back then than it is now.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Dtrkyman

If we stay within the limits of the law turkey will do fine, they will rebound from bad hatches and predators.

Habitat is the number one priority, prime habitat will have birds.  Anything we can do to improve some habitat would go a long way.

All these wildlife issues are complex and there is never a singular cause, typically death by a thousand cuts!

Bush Honeysuckle is becoming an issue in the Midwest, look at a stand of timber with that garbage in it, nothing but mature trees and Honeysuckle, no brush, briars, or anything for hens to nest in!

Loyalist84

Great points raised. I certainly think that killing for notoriety has no place in the sport. However, everyone here can surely count an excellent hunter they've met in their life who couldn't be called a sportsman in even the most generous terms. The unfortunate thing for our sport is that there are a great many who don't hold this great pursuit dear to their hearts and see it as a way to a rich life.

I don't have much time for those folks.

I also don't have much time for those who insist that if I do not hold to the turkey hunting customs of a certain class in a certain region of the United States, then my pursuit of the sport is a sham. I certainly admire the forbears in my sport, but as a Canadian, hunting turkeys who had been absent in my homeland for nearly a century, it rankles me to hear that some foreigner from a completely different part of the world has the gall to tell me how to hunt the birds on the land my great-grandfather farmed.

Decoy or no, blind or leant against a dead Ash, though I prefer the latter in both counts, it hardly matters to me that my neighbour may differ with me on those counts - he is still my brother, or sister, in this grand pursuit. The only thing stopping us seems to the the farmers clearing bush by the hundreds of acres every year as prices of land and new equipment go through the roof.

3bailey3

hey Sam you brought up church, front row baptist or back row Methodist? i sit at the back, i hunt land that i own, so no one can bother me to much!