OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My can of worms.

Started by Gooserbat, May 31, 2021, 02:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Turkey hunting is something I've done a long time. Only attend church on Sunday beats my record for lengthiest life long places to find Sam.  Now in the 37 years I've been doing this I've also been around bowhunting as well.  Bowhunting has evolved ahead of turkey hunting in a lot of aspects. Popularity, methods, tools...so the ranks of bow hunters have become divided into traditionalist, compound hunters, crossbow hunters, treestand hunters, stalkers, and so on.  Many of these won't hunt, communicate, or even break bread together.

Same thing is going to happen with turkey hunting.  Now we have fanners, callers, decoy spreaders, blinders, and run n gunners. We have sub-gaugers, lead is deaders, TSS is the way to the promised landers, and arrow slangers.

And a lot of each have forgotten that there two reasons you are a turkey hunter.  To have a good time and kill the turkey.  Simple ain't it.  You need to enjoy yourself and let the next guy enjoy himself.  Honestly I've killed birds about every method I've mentioned and some I find really exciting and others are, well slow.  The case in point is I find it exciting. 

We are going to become our worse enemies if we divide our ranks.  Just remember have yourself a good time, be safe, and kill the turkey.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Ihuntoldschool

You're quick to throw blame around but it's not the traditionalist's fault.  It's this new breed of hunter, this new attitude of kill at all costs that you should blame.

The ones that care more about the kill than the hunt.  Turkey hunting ain't what it used to be that's for sure.  As has been previously stated, lots of turkey killers but few turkey hunters. That's more true now than it ever has been.  The purist/old school/traditional hunters have respect for the quarry and know that the hunt is WAY more important than the kill.  The end result is somewhat anti-climactic to us.  So no, we don't just hunt to "kill" turkeys.  We know that turkey hunting is about calling the bird to you.  As one famous old school guy already mentioned, "Calling is Everything".  When it comes to Spring Turkey Hunting and how the game is to be played, that statement is 100% true.  But thanks for bringing this up again. It's refreshing to know that some people would rather us set back in silence and pretend that all of this is OK when we know otherwise. 

Gooserbat

You sir just made my point.  It's about your way being the right way.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 31, 2021, 02:40:15 PM
You sir just made my point.  It's about your way being the right way.
In spades...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

silvestris

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 31, 2021, 02:40:15 PM
It's about your way being the right way.

And often it is in fact, it is the right way.  And I believe that in this case, it is.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 31, 2021, 02:37:17 PM
You're quick to throw blame around but it's not the traditionalist's fault.  It's this new breed of hunter, this new attitude of kill at all costs that you should blame.

The ones that care more about the kill than the hunt.  Turkey hunting ain't what it used to be that's for sure.  As has been previously stated, lots of turkey killers but few turkey hunters. That's more true now than it ever has been.  The purist/old school/traditional hunters have respect for the quarry and know that the hunt is WAY more important than the kill.  The end result is somewhat anti-climactic to us.  So no, we don't just hunt to "kill" turkeys.  We know that turkey hunting is about calling the bird to you.  As one famous old school guy already mentioned, "Calling is Everything".  When it comes to Spring Turkey Hunting and how the game is to be played, that statement is 100% true.  But thanks for bringing this up again. It's refreshing to know that some people would rather us set back in silence and pretend that all of this is OK when we know otherwise.
You just verified absolutely every point Sam was making. I've seen your posts before on these topics, and I knew what your response would be as soon as I saw you replied. Ihuntoldschool. The username says all you need to know about the person.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Pluffmud

Lol wow. Ihuntoldschool was literally the first example in the OPs textbook.
Psalm 46:10

Roost 1

I expect this post to turn into dumpster fire..I'll side with the old schoolers on this one.  Social media, and the internet in general, has done more and will continue to do more harm to hunting than anything else mentioned above.  Used to guys knew how to keep their mouth shut when they had a good thing going.  BTW there aren't any birds left in KY and TN plan trips elsewhere.  :popcorn:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 31, 2021, 02:20:09 PM
Turkey hunting is something I've done a long time. Only attend church on Sunday beats my record for lengthiest life long places to find Sam.  Now in the 37 years I've been doing this I've also been around nowhunting as well.  Bowhunting has evolved ahead of turkey hunting in a lot of aspects. Popularity, methods, tools...so the ranks of bow hunters have become divided into traditionalist, compound hunters, crossbow hunters, treestand hunters, stalkers, and so on.  Many of these won't hunt, communicate, or even break bread together.

Same thing is going to happen with turkey hunting.  Now we have fanners, callers, decoy spreaders, blinders, and run n gunners. We have sub-gaugers, lead is deaders, TSS is the way to the promised landers, and arrow slangers.

And a lot of each have forgotten that there two reasons you are a turkey hunter.  To have a good time and kill the turkey.  Simple ain't it.  You need to enjoy yourself and let the next guy enjoy himself.  Honestly I've killed birds about every method I've mentioned and some I find really exciting and others are, well slow.  The case in point is I find it exciting. 

We are going to become our worse enemies if we divide our ranks.  Just remember have yourself a good time, be safe, and kill the turkey.
Absolutely Sam!! Excellent commentary. :icon_thumright:
I've made my feelings known on this subject many times in the past. As long as it's legal, and it makes you happy, then I say good luck to you!! I may not chose to shoot a jake, or a bearded hen, and I might not employ the techniques that others use, but I'll wish them luck and success.
We all don't have the same opportunities in terms of time off to hunt, money to spend on hunting, access to land, ability to put in a chufa plot, etc. Therefore I don't discriminate against those who have less opportunities than I do, or those that have more. I've killed birds with decoys and without, in blinds and sitting against a tree, I've called them in and I've bushwhacked them when I couldn't. I've never reaped or hunted a chufa plot, but I'd like to try it for the experience.
I also won't get into ethics. Legal is written verbatim, whereas ethics is up to individual interpretation.
As hunters we are often our own worst enemies, and we don't even realize it. So I support all legal methods, even if I don't use them. I don't agree with the holier than thou, do as I do or you aren't a real hunter BS.

zelmo1

Be safe and courteous, do your thing and let others do theirs. Nicely put Sam. Al Baker

Pluffmud

I'm beginning to think that some of y'all are using a different alias on the Refuge Forums. Tuleman, is that you???

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Pluffmud on May 31, 2021, 03:45:30 PM
I'm beginning to think that some of y'all are using a different alias on the Refuge Forums. Tuleman, is that you???
Not Tuleman but I can't help but wonder what there is to argue about with legal duck hunting methods?  I'm not on that forum but I've heard there's bickering with that bunch too.  Is it social media? 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Gooserbat

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 31, 2021, 03:34:21 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on May 31, 2021, 02:20:09 PM
Turkey hunting is something I've done a long time. Only attend church on Sunday beats my record for lengthiest life long places to find Sam.  Now in the 37 years I've been doing this I've also been around nowhunting as well.  Bowhunting has evolved ahead of turkey hunting in a lot of aspects. Popularity, methods, tools...so the ranks of bow hunters have become divided into traditionalist, compound hunters, crossbow hunters, treestand hunters, stalkers, and so on.  Many of these won't hunt, communicate, or even break bread together.

Absolutely Sam!! Excellent commentary. :icon_thumright:
I've made my feelings known on this subject many times in the past. As long as it's legal, and it makes you happy, then I say good luck to you!! I may not chose to shoot a jake, or a bearded hen, and I might not employ the techniques that others use, but I'll wish them luck and success.
We all don't have the same opportunities in terms of time off to hunt, money to spend on hunting, access to land, ability to put in a chufa plot, etc. Therefore I don't discriminate against those who have less opportunities than I do, or those that have more. I've killed birds with decoys and without, in blinds and sitting against a tree, I've called them in and I've bushwhacked them when I couldn't. I've never reaped or hunted a chufa plot, but I'd like to try it for the experience.
I also won't get into ethics. Legal is written verbatim, whereas ethics is up to individual interpretation.
As hunters we are often our own worst enemies, and we don't even realize it. So I support all legal methods, even if I don't use them. I don't agree with the holier than thou, do as I do or you aren't a real hunter BS.

Jim we're going to have to meet up and kill some turkeys together. Maybe in KS with a fan.
NWTF Booth 1623

arkrem870

Those who are attempting to monetize turkey hunting have a different view point.  The more turkey hunters the more likes on social media or more product sold benefitting their bottom line. Appealing to the masses through social media brings in scores of new hunters/and help making traveling to hunt a viral sensation. This adds stress to the resource resulting in more restrictions and less opportunity for all.  South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama etc etc. every action has a equal and opposite reaction. It elementary.  That's my bone to pick.....
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Pluffmud

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 31, 2021, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: Pluffmud on May 31, 2021, 03:45:30 PM
Not Tuleman but I can't help but wonder what there is to argue about with legal duck hunting methods?  I'm not on that forum but I've heard there's bickering with that bunch too.  Is it social media? 

Social media for sure. The hot topics lately are:

Pressure
Nonresidents
Extended range chokes
The Kansas subforum in general
Where are the ducks
There are no ducks
Habitat
Too many hunters
Not enough ducks
The gubmint ain't allocating tax dollars for ducks properly
DU isn't either
RM Custom calls vs $10 Handel's
Mud motors

You see, it's really just a bunch of like minded individuals, all who are passionate about hunting waterfowl, have seen a decline in recent years, and are scrambling to point blame on something/someone. This forum has trended that direction the past few months.