turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Had a good ride

Started by WV Flopper, May 29, 2021, 08:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

5:30 first morning, 3/20/21. Had to get pulled out, but did make to location on time. Had a nice week of hunting, called up a bunch of turkeys this week. Only took one last day I hunted. Central Florida

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

Home for a week then to Oklahoma. First morning 7:11 flopped a turkey, of coarse it found some water to flop in. Had to let it hang for a couple hours just to get this pic. They sure are a thing to see soaked in water.

grayfox

Not a great start but looks like you finished very well. Congrats!

WV Flopper

Went to a different WMA in Oklahoma and the second day there ran into several turkeys. Actually was in Jake's all morning until a little after 1:00 I found this one.

Jimspur

Nice birds. I'll bet there were some 4 letter expletives being thrown around
at 5:30am that first morning in Florida!

WV Flopper

Back home, but 19 hours of driving and I slept in on the first day of Virginia season. Second day I had to return the rental truck and was in a big hurry to get out of the woods as the women was waiting at the rental place. Sad tailgate picture!
Second trip to Virginia I enjoyed my woods time a little more.

WV Flopper

Then WV season. Missed one the first day, he snuck up on my hard left and I just plain out shot over him. He was tight to me.

Second day found one later as I was covered up in other hunters. This turkey would gobble then run the other direction. I stopped calling and followed him for 250 yards when he stopped, gobbled for 10 minutes, turned around and backtracked himself. I never made a call after he started running.

WV Flopper

Got my son out for a day, it's hard to get him to go anymore.

Showing off my Old Boney patch

WV Flopper

A couple weeks went by and I went back to the spot I missed the one on the first day. Turkeys were still flocked together, this time I didn't miss.

WV Flopper

I had a lot of fun, hunted hard, probably harder than any other spring.

Would have loved to went and tried to find a Merriam's but, it just wasn't meant to be.

Seen more people in the WV woods than ever before, typically I see very few people. By the second day I had seen a seasons worth of hunters.

Oklahoma was a blast. I seen a 8 point buck on 4/3 that still had both horns attached. Seen several coyotes and a couple porcupines. Also found a few mushrooms after cleaning a bird.

I meant some guys from Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama. The Florida guy is on here as JJ from FL I think. All the guys I spoke with were real nice guys. Seen license plates from all over the country.

Hunted in 40 mile an hour winds on day one, day two 40-50 winds and 38 degrees. I almost froze and did call the day after setting in the truck to warm up. Day three was almost perfect.

WV Flopper

The mud puddle ordeal was something. My buddies 4 wheel drive was broke, so we took my 2 wheel drive rental. Got to that mud puddle and I asked, left, right, middle? Middle was a mistake, should have been on the right.

Laid down in the water to hook up a rope, I was very wet.  When done changed into a new set of clothes and off we went. The return trip through we had no trouble on the right side, but I sure didn't like it.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats on a good season

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Mathews.1

Congratulations on an awesome season

WV Flopper

4/3 at my first spot I pinned for a turkey location I see this scouting...

Then realize it's this...

At another roost location I had pinned, as the gray started to take over the black, I seen a pile of turkeys on the roost. Turned out they were buzzards! But, there were 5-6 turkeys roosted behind them. Hens and a jake, called up the second day 4/7,  cold, windy day.

Cowboy

Congrats.  Sounds like adventure. Gotta love that travelling turkey huntin!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk