OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tick Spray

Started by WV Flopper, May 28, 2021, 08:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

I would like to give a review of a product:

I used Sawyers tick spray this year. I followed the directions to the best of my ability. I did do one side of my clothes let dry outside on the porch banister. Next day did the other side and let dry. I applied very heavily, wet.

I have multiple sets of clothes so over washing was not an issue (washing now, they Stink). I think they were only washed 3-4 at most all season, no soap, cold water.

I hunt one area that traditionally has few ticks. Other than that I hunted Florida, Oklahoma, Virginia and West Virginia this season.

I did not find one tick on me, my clothing, or truck, for the two month period I hunted.

Good product, probably die of cancer soon for using it. Other than the health issues it may cause humans and pets, it worked great. Tick diseases as all of us are aware, are very serious diseases that I take very serious. We all should.

Sir-diealot

You use it maybe what 3 months out of the year including deer season? I do not think your cancer risk is high using the kind you named or the kind I mix myself. Great stuff, spray the truck inside during trapping season as well as turkey and deer and we have never had a tick in the truck or on us since we started.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

lunghit

I don't go in the woods without it and have never had a tick when using it. Just the other day I had my gun laying on the ground while hunting and noticed a deer tick crawling on the barrel. I picked it up and put it on my treated clothes and watched it die in a few minutes.

I mix my own with Martins 10% and it will save you a ton of money. 1 ounce of Permethrin to 19 ounces of water is the formula.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Jimspur

Started using permethrin 5 years ago. Haven't had a tick on me in 5 years.
I did start mixing my own - way cheaper. I use the same Martin's 10% as
lunghit.

mspaci

Sir-diealot

Just a tip, the Martin's Permethrin that is water based has far less of an oder than the petroleum based one if you are also using it for deer hunting and I read here last year that you should not do it in the direct sunlight though I do not recall the reason why.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Greg Massey

Been using the stuff for years it's good stuff...no ticks

dah

I mix my own , same product , lay them out and use my sprayer and spray thoroughly , even socks and undergarments . Have had great success . Bought some waterproof pants and wore them at the start of season as was rainy . Noticed the spray was beading and running on the pants when spraying , but made sense , they are waterproof . Had my first ticks on my legs that I have had in a long time . Nothing close to socks or undergarments ( relief )  but below the knees and latched on . Put a pair of sprayed pants on under them and problem solved . The spray was not as effective on waterproof , this area has a lot of ticks .

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

aclawrence

I've also had great success testing my clothes with Permethrin. It works so good I can't believe some people don't do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

Yea I mix my own as well. I dunk my clothes in the mix and hang em.

Then for maintenance mode I will spray down once a week once the temps start going up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wvdanimal

Sawyers is awesome.  However,  last year when i spayed all my stuff, one piece of clothing was drapped over a cardboard box.  Couple days later, I transferred a bunch of baby ckicks I had hatched into that box until I cleaned their cage. Within 20 minutes they were all dead. Stretched themselves way out and went to sleep. No other explanation.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Wvdanimal on May 30, 2021, 11:23:16 AM
Sawyers is awesome.  However,  last year when i spayed all my stuff, one piece of clothing was drapped over a cardboard box.  Couple days later, I transferred a bunch of baby ckicks I had hatched into that box until I cleaned their cage. Within 20 minutes they were all dead. Stretched themselves way out and went to sleep. No other explanation.
That is because it is poisonous to avians and aquatic life, it should have a warning on the bottle, I know Martin's does. Also a neurotoxin to cats, when wet I am sure but not sure about dry.

Edit: About using it around cats, read the entire thing. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/07/11/627843581/if-you-spray-your-clothes-with-permethrin-be-careful-around-the-cat

Second Edit: About using it and birds. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/ant-poison-kill-birds-97571.html

Third Edit: Fish 

Q:
  Can permethrin affect birds, fish, or other wildlife?

A:
  Permethrin is highly toxic to fish and other animals that live in either salt water or fresh water. Permethrin is low in toxicity to birds, but some aerosol products made with permethrin may also contain other ingredients that can harm birds if they inhale it. Permethrin is highly toxic to bees and other beneficial insects.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PermGen.html

John Koenig:

TRG3

It's a lot cheaper to mix 2 oz. of Martin's 10% permethrin in a gallon of water, then thoroughly spray any clothing that will be on the outer surface of your turkey/squirrel outfit. I've been doing this for over a decade and can only remember 3-4 dog ticks that ever got thought this defense. It also kills chiggers. You can find the Martin's 10% permethrin at a farm supply store or via Amazon. A pint will last a couple of years or more.

WV Flopper

Thank you guys!  That is good info.

My cat loves my hunting pants, he is attracted to them. I will do better.