turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stupid thing you done while turkey hunting

Started by jhoward11, May 25, 2021, 12:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

I think back to when I began turkey hunting and I wander how I made it this long! Some of the stupid things I did. Get all the way to the blind 350 yrds...No Shells!!! Get in a hurry to set up on a bird...Set down in a pile of cow crap!!! Start to draw down on a bird...phone goes off!!! I imagine we could all go on and on with stories...So let's see how stupid we really are! BEGIN.

Sir-diealot

First bird I ever worked came for several hundred yards, gobbling all the way, all of a sudden the gobbling stopped, it stayed silent for what seemed like forever, I knew better but I turned and looked behind me, it was maybe 20 yards behind me and we saw each other at the same time and he started to run, I started to lift my gun to take a shot but I remember reading how tough the feathers could be to penetrate and I did not shoot. That day hooked me as a turkey hunter, I will always remember it because I got so amped up hearing him come in that I nearly puked.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

nativeks

Sat through a tornado warning in my pop up blind because lightning was crashing hard and I didnt think it would be wise to be the tallest thing around as 1/2 mile of winter wheat was between me and the truck.

Sat up against a tree while getting pelted with hail up to about nickle sized another day. Killed the bird shortly after the storm abated.

sswv

just at daybreak one morning a few years ago I heard a gobbler gobbling non stop over the break of the hill about 300 yards from me. I grabbed everything I needed and cut the distance in half and within minutes he was coming. things were happening fast so I got the gun up, safety off and just waiting on the head to pop up. couple minutes went by and I saw a gobbler running across the wide hollow just to my left and never heard another gobble. I was clueless and decided to go back to my SxS and head over the mountain. just as I opened the door I noticed my reflection in the side mirror. pollen was terrible that year and I had worn a white dust mask in. when I hopped out that morning (not thinking) I put in on top of my head just like I do in the garage. I guess when that gobbler spotted that bright white cone head he knew he better get to running. my buddy still rides me about that.

derek

Killed a bird. Got all the way back to the truck to realize my gun was leaning against a tree where I took pictures.

Stopped to take a piss. Was a half mile+ away when I realized my gun was still leaning against a tree where I had stopped.

First bird I tried to shoot with a bow, sight was clear of the blind, arrow was not. Wondering why I missed I renocked and did the same thing again.

Mounted a camera on my gun that was barely hitting the forearm keeping the bolt from being all the way forward and causing a misfire intermittently.. took misfire on 4 birds to figure it out.

I could keep this going for a while. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

springtime_overland

Roosted a bird from one side of the canyon in the evening, propped gun against a tree.. Drove around (35 minutes) to the other side of the canyon.. Reached into my case the next morning and realized it.. Drove back around to the gun,, got it,, dropped down on the bird and ended up killing it..

Was my slam Merriam's this year.. I grinned the whole drive back because i knew the day could only get better from there!

Greg Massey

Back in my younger days, one afternoon just before dark on some new public ground i could hear a gobbler, gobbling across the woods. This was all new hunting ground, so i had not checked it out like i should of have, anyway that next morning sure enough he was gobbling before daylight and as i may my way to him across the fields and woods i came upon this fence row and there he was in a pen and gobbling his head off.. he was pen raised domestic turkey that a farmer had in his pen.. the walk back to the truck was no fun at all... LOL... You do have to realize back them we didn't just have a lot of turkey's ... I still laugh about that turkey in the pen..omg....

Brian Fahs

I went back to work because they did not gobble for a day or 2.

You guessed it, the pictures from my buddies killing them blew my phone up the next few days.

TRG3

While the turkey continued to gobble at my hen yelps, he did not move any closer. Frustrated, I slowly began to move in his direction while keeping to the woods, eventually coming to a creek about 10 yards wide and up to my waist. Continued calling on my part did not move him my way, so I decided to wade the creek which in early April was very cold. As I continued to slowly move in his direction, a barn roof came into view soon followed by a barnyard full of chickens and a few turkeys. I'd come all that way and waded a cold creek only to discover that a domestic tom had been the source of excitement. Knowing that I'd have to re-cross that creek put a damper on the morning's hunt.

catman529

I used to miss at least as many as I killed, every year from my first bird in 2011 up until 2019. I switched sights, choke and shells several times and finally confirmed the obvious, it was me, not the gun. Then last year I started shooting good for some reason. Same thing this year. I'm not sure why but I'm not complaining either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChesterCopperpot

Stupidest one this season, last day of season and had my wife out trying to fill her tag. Nothing at our first spot so I decide to throw a Hail Mary and hike in deep to a place I knew hadn't been touched. We start getting close and I show her a ridge where I chased a bird for two seasons that would always bugger. As we climb the ridge I crow call a few times just to try and make sure nothing's up there (we're trying to get past this spot). We come up on the ridge and she says, "Dang, it looks like a turkey should be here." I point to a lot of fresh scratch and say, "He has." No sooner than those words left my mouth a good gobbler shot straight up at about twenty five yards, set them wings, and off he flew, his beard just a swaying. Lesson I knew but didn't follow: always sit a spell at places that have historically held birds. Wouldn't have cost us anything to have wasted ten or fifteen minutes sitting there, and that day we likely would've killed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derek

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 25, 2021, 04:55:28 PM
Back in my younger days, one afternoon just before dark on some new public ground i could hear a gobbler, gobbling across the woods. This was all new hunting ground, so i had not checked it out like i should of have, anyway that next morning sure enough he was gobbling before daylight and as i may my way to him across the fields and woods i came upon this fence row and there he was in a pen and gobbling his head off.. he was pen raised domestic turkey that a farmer had in his pen.. the walk back to the truck was no fun at all... LOL... You do have to realize back them we didn't just have a lot of turkey's ... I still laugh about that turkey in the pen..omg....
Did that one this year as well. Spent an entire morning trying to figure out why this bird wouldn't leave the yard. Convinced myself he was going from one side of it to the other at that. Guess he was just facing different directions. Finally got to where I could see him. "Penned up"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Meleagris gallopavo

This year one morning I got so caught up with calling and watching the gobblers I was trying to pull in I forgot all about shooting one.  All I could think about was getting them to come my way.  So I stopped calling and started rustling the leaves and they made a beeline to me so fast I didn't have time to get situated for a shot and my gun was hard to get to.  I did get the gun and take aim but I was in such thick brush I couldn't keep the red dot on a red head long enough to pull the trigger.   And it really doesn't take long for me to pull the trigger.  They eventually became spooked and walked off.  If I had been ready with the gun in less brush the outcome may have been very different. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Happy

Someone I know left his gun on the ground next to where he parked his truck and didn't realize it until he got home that evening........2 hours away.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

aclawrence

Wow I've never left my gun, but I did one even worse this season. I got to the gate, got ready and hopped on my bicycle for about a 1 mile pedal. When I got off the bike I unslung the gun from around my back and realized the safety was off.  I'm not sure if I forgot to put the safety on or if it pushed off during the ride. Needless to say that was stupid, and I won't ride my bike ever again with a loaded gun.