turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stupid thing you done while turkey hunting

Started by jhoward11, May 25, 2021, 12:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

The stupidest and the greatest thing I ever did was going on my 1st turkey hunt. Been a life long springtime obsession for me.
  By the way, I did the calling to a penned turkey deal for an hour and a half during that 1st trip.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

3bailey3

Zobo

I've never done this thank God, but my friend who works for Fish and Game Dept convinced his wife to go hunting with him. Together they were able to call a nice gobbler into close range in front of them and then he shot it.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

TonyTurk

Stupidest thing I've done was join this here Forum, because it has cost me a small fortune in calls, accessories, etc.   :funnyturkey:

Just kidding, I love this place...

tomstopper

Got the days mixed up in regards to the season opener

Sasha and Abby

I also have bushwacked through a thick creek to a bird in someones yard.  It's been 25 years ago and I had completely forgotten the incident until I read the previous posts about others doing the same thing. 

Thanks for the memories...

btomlin

I had a guy come in on a bird I was working on some public a couple of years ago.  I could hear him calling and approaching from another ridge.  I should have just shut up and crawled out, but I stayed trying to work it.  Ended up being a pretty dangerous situation as the bird ended up between us.  I had positioned myself on backside of the tree because I could tell what was going to occur.  The other guy got it, but I got to watch him chase the bird around the woods ending with a tackle that would have made Mike Singleterry proud!  I normally concede in those situations and should have that day. 

jhoward11

Here's another...lol, me and my bud were walking and calling when all of a sudden he says "Bird" and squats like a catcher and I'm right behind him like the umpire with my gun up and after 10 min. of not seeing one, he  says" your going to have to shoot me in the head, because I can't feel my legs anymore' LOl
When I first took him turkey hunting he didn't know anything. We sat facing different directions because we didn't know where the bird would come in from...all of a sudden he said in a loud voice, "sounds like someone started a motor, guess that will scare the birds away" lol. I said that's drumming  and I'm sure you just scared him away!

Tail Feathers

I've boogered birds in so many ways it's not funny.  Some I'm sure I never knew where there.

This spring I was hunting in NE and had seen some birds using a specific little area.  I was in well before daylight the next morning and set up with a good hide.  In the dark I didn't realize quite how steep the spot was.  When I sat down I rolled it backwards and did a flip in the woods.  I''m getting a bit old for backward somersaults. ;)
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

turkeyfool

Last year drove 6 hours home on the last day of the season after shooting a bird that morning. Everything was awesome except I realized I left my gun in the case at the launch ramp I used to put my kayak in/take it out that morning. Called the police/local game warden and that gun was long gone. Someone got a brand new Franchi 12 gauge

WV Flopper

There has been sooooooooo many!

The one that has taught me the most, that I have done several times.... Don't waste days playing with the same turkey. If I go after the same turkey now two days in a row there were circumstances on the first day that were not from the Tom.

Usually if I hunt the same Tom now multiple days, it's a week or two apart.

GobbleNut

The real question for me would be,..."what have you done that was SMART while turkey hunting"?  It would take me much less time to answer that question.   ;D

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 25, 2021, 04:55:28 PM
Back in my younger days, one afternoon just before dark on some new public ground i could hear a gobbler, gobbling across the woods. This was all new hunting ground, so i had not checked it out like i should of have, anyway that next morning sure enough he was gobbling before daylight and as i may my way to him across the fields and woods i came upon this fence row and there he was in a pen and gobbling his head off.. he was pen raised domestic turkey that a farmer had in his pen.. the walk back to the truck was no fun at all... LOL... You do have to realize back them we didn't just have a lot of turkey's ... I still laugh about that turkey in the pen..omg....

Yep.

Worked a hard-gobbling bird for a couple hours before I came to find he was pure white and perched atop an Amishman's outhouse.

BTW............. On a whole other subject of stupidity............ do yinz realize that 20 gauge 2 3/4" Walmart low brass #8's from the 100 pack are the same exact color as Federal Heavy 7's ??? 

Just sayin'..................
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gooserbat

Do you want an example from this year or from years past?

I once left a perfectly good 870 laying beside the road and lucky me it was still there 1 1/2 hours later.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wigsplitter

I leaned my gun up against my truck ( passenger side)to throw a gobbler in the back and get him squared away for the ride out... got distracted and Drove off driving over the gun in the process with the back tire... realized it about an hour later and believe it or not it was still laying in the road when I returned with a few Rock indentions in the wood stock!!