turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tricks for Hung-Up Toms?

Started by BDeal, May 25, 2021, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDeal

I've had some decent action in the last couple of weeks but have had Toms hang up just out of range or sight about 5 times. One actually walked within 45 yards and then turned around and rejoined his flock on the other side of the fence on private land. In my two best spots, I have to call the birds off of other property that I cannot get permission on. Last year between my son and I, I called in 5 birds that we killed and I just can't seem to seal the deal this year. I can get them to 60-70 Yards and even much closer in the brush (I've had a couple around 35 Yards where it was so thick I couldn't see or shoot them). I've tried aggressive cutting and yelping as well as softer stuff when being locked up with Toms that won't move that last 10-30 yards and keep coming up empty. I know part of this is just turkey hunting but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions here other than hand grenades??

Thank You!

guesswho

Million dollar question!    Sometimes all it takes is silence, other times the thought of another gobbler may do the trick, others may break to the subtle sounds like purrs, scratching etc.   And some just ain't coming (that day anyway).   Just have to do what you were doing and play it by feel and hope you hit the right combo that day.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkeyman

Quote from: BDeal on May 25, 2021, 11:29:22 AM
...then turned around and rejoined his flock on the other side of the fence on private land...

Therein lies your problem...same as I've had every time out this year. Every tom I've encountered has been with hen(s). When they decide to depart the toms haven't hesitated to join them. Gobbling like crazy for me to join them, of course. Hen(s) in hand better than reluctant one in the bush. Still haven't found that lone tom.

Paulmyr

Call from 30/40/50 yards behind your son if you are confident in your son's ability to be safe. silence is good choice as well. Make him come looking for you. If he's thinking your just over there he expects you to come to him. Make him think you lost interest or even left. good chance he'll come check it out to make sure.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

jhoward11

Scratching has worked for me in the past, but as guesswho stated...sometimes they want none of your loving!!!

Meleagris gallopavo

Nothing really works if there's live hens involved.  That period when they're henned up can be a doldrum unless you can find Toms that are alone or with another Tom.  Or call the hens that bring the Tom with them.  If there's hens, try a lot of cutting to make the boss hen mad or the opposite, which are contentment clucks and purrs.  Sometimes the hens will bring him to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

BDeal

Yes I think every situation involved hens except one and I think he was an older bird that saw us walk in from the roost as we could see him when it was light enough. He would gobble but not get closer than 90 yards or so. The others have been with hens and I have done a lot of cutting and mimicking their calls....

redleg06

It really can depend on quite a few different factors... Terrain, is he alone, obstacles maybe in his path, etc.  It's pretty hard to give a specific answer to each situation and each particular bird, on a particular day.  Experience is just one of those things that gives you more answers but until you get that, persistence will get you in the game often enough to have it all line up for you!

Turkeyman

I've been at this game longer than most. If there's one thing I've determined over the years it's that whether or not you get an opportunity depends more upon the mood of the turkey than anything you do.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

perrytrails

Quote from: Turkeyman on May 25, 2021, 02:24:29 PM
I've been at this game longer than most. If there's one thing I've determined over the years it's that whether or not you get an opportunity depends more upon the mood of the turkey than anything you do.

X2. What didn't work today might just work for you tomorrow.

Be a little louder than the surrounding hens on roost, may get him to pitch down your way.

Go try a different area at daylight. Slide back in on that guy later in the morning or afternoon if legal.

Scratching in the leaves is as deadly as any calling if he can hear it.

2-3 Jake yelps immediately after he gobbles may help too.

Obviously property lines may prevent movement or coming in from another direction, but be in a different place than you called from the day before.

BDeal

Quote from: perrytrails on May 25, 2021, 02:37:32 PM
Quote from: Turkeyman on May 25, 2021, 02:24:29 PM

X2. What didn't work today might just work for you tomorrow.

Be a little louder than the surrounding hens on roost, may get him to pitch down your way.

Go try a different area at daylight. Slide back in on that guy later in the morning or afternoon if legal.

Scratching in the leaves is as deadly as any calling if he can hear it.

2-3 Jake yelps immediately after he gobbles may help too.

Obviously property lines may prevent movement or coming in from another direction, but be in a different place than you called from the day before.

Yes I have thought about this but there are really only a couple of spots I can call from based on where I have permission and the lay of the land. I also feel that the height of the clover in the fields is prohibiting them from seeing the decoys well.

perrytrails

Maybe give him a few days and try to get on a different bird in a different area.

Maybe he will loose some hens in that time period. Makes for a whole new ball game.

It's fun and challenging to work birds like that. It can be very frustrating at times. Hard to beat the real thing.

But another bird in a different area maybe ready to run down your gun barrel. Give him some time if nobody else is hunting that area. Go back and try again.

Greg Massey

You could try hen decoy. Also if you start calling for one location and he's pretty much pin pointed you from your calling, move toward him and go silent. Also you could try using the terrain in your favor, to lure him closer for a shot. I'm thinking more than likely he's just not seeing another hen and he's going back to the hen's he knows are closer.   Good old soft purr's and clucks might help also..

Turkeyman

Quote from: BDeal on May 25, 2021, 03:50:34 PM
Yes I have thought about this but there are really only a couple of spots I can call from based on where I have permission and the lay of the land. I also feel that the height of the clover in the fields is prohibiting them from seeing the decoys well.

Well, I don't use decoys so perhaps a deeker could comment. But I feel that, once the clover or hayfield gets above a certain point, they don't feel comfortable being there. A coyote or such could be hidden and grab them by the neck. I see turkeys in hayfields early...as the season and growth progresses...not so much.

jbrown

If the gobbler can't see your decoy, put the decoy on a stick that's tall enough for your decoy to be seen. I've killed several gobblers with my decoy on top of a six foot stick!! Sounds crazy, but it works for me!