turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting without diaphragm calls

Started by HillclimberWV, May 19, 2021, 09:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HillclimberWV

How many of you out there hunt without diaphragm calls. I ask because i struggle with consistency on them and have messed up several birds that i struck with other calls. I can make all the turkeys sounds individually but i struggle to put together solid calling sequences without having an off note or a terrible squeak in there somewhere.  I'm still going to practice with them but have been leaving them at home more often than not. So out of curiosity how many are successful without the use of diaphrams?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

johnski

I can't use them.  I start to gag, every couple of years I try and just can not get use to it, I am going to try again this summer with a smaller frame call.  I have got all my birds using pot and box calls.  The toughest part is trying to run the call with the gun up, but I manage to get it to work.   

davisd9

I carry one but use it very little. I am average on one and have no desire to improve.  I keep one in my cheek as I use a trumpet in case I have to cluck at him to get him to stop or break strut, other than that I do not have much use for one.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Meleagris gallopavo

I keep one in my mouth but rely on pot calls mostly.  I may throw some yelps out there now and then as I think I can do those pretty consistently.  Sometimes aggressive purring and clucking if a bird is hung up because I can do those with a diaphragm better than I can with a pot.  Cutting and quiet purring is reserved for the pot call.  I also use the diaphragm to make a loud cluck to get one to raise their head or just stop and look when I'm trying to take a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Greg Massey

Never use them anymore.. if i feel i need mouth call, i will use my push pin call instead. Push pin is way over looked in my opinion in helping kill gobblers.

wvmntnhick

Carry one quite often. Use it regularly. Won't leave home without it. I use pots too but I like to use a diaphragm to finish birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sswv

I have spring gobbler hunted for 46-47 years and have never carried a mouth call. I like boxes and pots but my go to or finisher I like to call them is always a push/pin of some sort. last couple years I have had great success with the barrel mount/gun mount types.

kloppy

Quote from: davisd9 on May 19, 2021, 10:17:43 AM
I carry one but use it very little. I am average on one and have no desire to improve.  I keep one in my cheek as I use a trumpet in case I have to cluck at him to get him to stop or break strut, other than that I do not have much use for one.

This is exactly what I have done this season. Cant see myself changing anytime soon.

Hobbes

The hell you say!!!  :) I wouldn't be caught dead without a mouth call or a half dozen.  I rarely carry a box but do carry a glass pot call that my brother gave me as a gift.  I use it about 10% of the time or less.  I've been practicing with a cane yelper that I believe could become quite useful but I've not mastered it yet.

bbcoach

I use a box, pots and diaphragms.  Mouth calls are IMO harder to master but it allows me to get soft without movement to finish with.  With most seasons coming to an end, I recommend starting to practice Now.  Get a mouth call and practice with it in your vehicle to and from work and by next season you'll be ready to add another tool for Ole 3 Toes. 

mspaci

J.D. Shellnut

I have never killed a gobbler when I didn't have a mouth call in my mouth. I carry a couple pot calls but never use them. And a mini jenny box call I only use as a locator call.
60% of the time it works every time!

HillclimberWV

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 19, 2021, 10:36:01 AM
Never use them anymore.. if i feel i need mouth call, i will use my push pin call instead. Push pin is way over looked in my opinion in helping kill gobblers.
I'm definitely going to invest in a good push pin this off season. Seems to be the simplest work around if i can't master the mouth call.

HillclimberWV

Quote from: bbcoach on May 19, 2021, 12:20:59 PM
I use a box, pots and diaphragms.  Mouth calls are IMO harder to master but it allows me to get soft without movement to finish with.  With most seasons coming to an end, I recommend starting to practice Now.  Get a mouth call and practice with it in your vehicle to and from work and by next season you'll be ready to add another tool for Ole 3 Toes.
Ive been practicing in my truck since the end of deer season and it definitely has made me improve but not to where i have confidence in it in the field. I will keep trying though.

Thanks everyone for your replies it definitely makes me feel better than more experienced hunters than I can get it done without them.

fallhnt

All I use

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy