turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting without diaphragm calls

Started by HillclimberWV, May 19, 2021, 09:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigriverbum

i hunted for 23 years with nothing but whatever hs strut diaphragm call the local shop had

the last few years i've branched out to other types of calls, but always had a call in my mouth as soon as i left the truck

i noticed in the last week that i started only throwing one in when a bird was coming in.  got my first birds with a wingbone this year and earlier this week took 2 in one day with a long box. only threw the mouth call in in the last few minutes before shooting

i like ghost cuts.

Gooserbat

I use what I strike the bird with.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bigriverbum

in my experience the most useful aspect of a diaphragm is being able to get the birds head up just before you shoot

Goodtimekiller

If you want to get good with any type of call, only carry that type of call into the woods, you will get much better. It also makes you use it in a higher stress event, not in your truck, relaxed with nothing to spook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutfisher13111

If you want to hunt without a mouth call then do it. You'll figure it out

HiIlbilly

I don't, but it's only because I'm terrible using one presently. That's one of my "things" I'm going to improve on before next season.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on May 19, 2021, 11:11:22 PM
If you want to get good with any type of call, only carry that type of call into the woods, you will get much better. It also makes you use it in a higher stress event, not in your truck, relaxed with nothing to spook.

Good post!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bear hunter

Never used one to kill a turkey not very good on one but getting better.

WildTigerTrout

Killed my first spring gobbler with a pot call and one with a box.  The rest without exception have been called in with diaphragm mouth calls.  Big advantage IMO is no movement needed to call.  I carry other calls with me hunting(box, scratch box, pot etc) but very seldom use them.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

wvmntnhick

This might be the truest words ever spoken. Lots of guys sound good in the house or driveway. Put them in a situation where their stress level rises... you'll hear a call make sounds it never should. Present company included.

HillclimberWV

Quote from: wvmntnhick on May 20, 2021, 08:20:37 AM

This might be the truest words ever spoken. Lots of guys sound good in the house or driveway. Put them in a situation where their stress level rises... you'll hear a call make sounds it never should. Present company included.

This is my biggest problem. I sound good enough in the truck but when I'm out of breath from climbing ridges and my hearts pumping from the gobbler i can't produce the same sounds. This has lead to more than one gobbler packing up and taking off.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

NCL

I have always struggled to use a diaphragm call. Friend once said I sound like a grey squirrel. Anyway decided a few years ago I was going to get better with the diaphragm call and purchased a program called Conquer the Call, I followed the directions and actually started to see improvement in the call I was practicing, the program does each individual call separately, so you practice one then move to the next sound. For the past couple of years I used a pot and or box almost exclusively so have not used the diaphragm. Decided to pull out a mouth call this year and I need to go back and practice.   

sswv

the silly looking thing on my gun barrel is a Primos Bombshell. It can be locked to avoid unwanted noise and it can be adjusted for different tones. I also use a K&H T-Bones Turkey Magnet push/pin that magnets to the receiver.  Both are very good for sealing the deal.

sswv

bobk

I don't use a diaphragm. I use a cluck that I make with my mouth. This has worked for me to seal the deal for countless years.