turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting without diaphragm calls

Started by HillclimberWV, May 19, 2021, 09:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfool

I think you're going to kill a lot more if you learn how even be somewhat proficient at putting together a few yelps. That's all you need. You can use the pot all you want, but when he's drumming inside of 100 or something like that, you're really killing yourself in some situations when you have to keep your gun up while making those last few sounds. Everyone situation is different. You may have just as much luck snapping a few twigs and scratching some leaves when he's inside of 100. There's no two situations that are alike, but overall, i'd say if you could put together a few yelps you're best bet is to have one in

Southerngobbler

I used one for over 30 years on elk and turkey but mostly use them to finish off turkeys as I have more luck striking up a turkey with a box call. I couldn't imagine not having one in my mouth at all times.
This year I really took a liking to pot and trumpet calls and when I killed my fist gob this year I was surprised to see i didn't even have a diaphragm in place. Three gobblers latter and I still didn't use a mouth call, I just left them in my pack all season long and didn't really miss them.
On a side note I did pull one out the other day to see if I could gobble with a mouth call and after a few hours was producing some of my best gobble ever. Ill be working on this over the summer and next year may keep one around just for that.

Paulmyr

Quote from: HillclimberWV on May 19, 2021, 01:01:21 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on May 19, 2021, 12:20:59 PM
I use a box, pots and diaphragms.  Mouth calls are IMO harder to master but it allows me to get soft without movement to finish with.  With most seasons coming to an end, I recommend starting to practice Now.  Get a mouth call and practice with it in your vehicle to and from work and by next season you'll be ready to add another tool for Ole 3 Toes.
Ive been practicing in my truck since the end of deer season and it definitely has made me improve but not to where i have confidence in it in the field. I will keep trying though.

Thanks everyone for your replies it definitely makes me feel better than more experienced hunters than I can get it done without them.

Sometimes it helps to take a break from practice. Call it a plateau if you will. Your working on muscle memory that's not working properly. Take a break and start again after a week or so maybe longer. I was in the same boat. Put the call down for a maybe a month or so. When I started back up it was like where did that come from. sounded pretty good compared to before.

I use mouth calls 99.9 percent of the time. A pot call might come out on a super slow day with no gobbling as a locator.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

jhoward11

Never leave home without one. As far as a good sequence....I was hunting with a friend who couldn't hardly use one, but he kept trying. It was the low of the day about 11:30 and I told him to try it, we weren't hearing anything anyways. He started calling and almost choked on the dang old thing, Bird gobbled 150 yrds away. I couldn't stop laughing. All the money and practice I go through...If I only knew gagging gets responses. The bird got shot BTW. lol

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: jhoward11 on May 19, 2021, 02:41:58 PM
Never leave home without one. As far as a good sequence....I was hunting with a friend who couldn't hardly use one, but he kept trying. It was the low of the day about 11:30 and I told him to try it, we weren't hearing anything anyways. He started calling and almost choked on the dang old thing, Bird gobbled 150 yrds away. I couldn't stop laughing. All the money and practice I go through...If I only knew gagging gets responses. The bird got shot BTW. lol
Priceless! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

THattaway

I use everything but a scratch box these days. Diaphragms are great in early season but I use them less as the season progresses where there has been pressure.

The worst callers I ever heard, convinced it was some nimrod on a squeaky box call several different times, turned out to be a hen each time.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

btomlin

I use my mouth calls on nearly every bird.  I travel for work and basically have one in the car starting in January every year.  I've used them for nearly 30yrs so it is 2nd nature.  I'd wouldn't give up on them if I were you. 

I bought a couple of push pins calls off ebay from ozark ridge for 2 youth hunters a few years ago when they got their 1st bird.  They are a nice cheaper push pin that both kids have used to call birds in on their own.  Not sure if the guy is still around but maybe an option?

HillclimberWV

Quote from: btomlin on May 19, 2021, 04:24:20 PM
I use my mouth calls on nearly every bird.  I travel for work and basically have one in the car starting in January every year.  I've used them for nearly 30yrs so it is 2nd nature.  I'd wouldn't give up on them if I were you. 

I bought a couple of push pins calls off ebay from ozark ridge for 2 youth hunters a few years ago when they got their 1st bird.  They are a nice cheaper push pin that both kids have used to call birds in on their own.  Not sure if the guy is still around but maybe an option?
Yeah i'm not going to give up on them, may just take a break for a while. I just recently glued up a couple wingbones from a gobbler i killed. They will give me somethin to play with in the mean time.

Also thank you for the suggestion on the pushpin. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

quavers59

I Hate the Horseshoe calls. I have learned to use my natural voice as a closer.

TrackeySauresRex

I can use one pretty good. However... I found myself in the last couple of years only using when there in tight.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Crghss

Have been practicing with Gooserbat mouth calls. Finally felt confident too use one this season. I never had a chance too use it. Hopping to be up too snuff next year. Keep it in my center console to practice until next season.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Howie g

I use one 75 % of the time .  But this year I had some major dental work done rite before our season ,  I used my wingbone / tube / and slates ,, I still got a few , but sure missed my mouth yelpers !!!

Wigsplitter

Have one in my mouth every time I sit down on a turkey and it is my closer call- I want both hands on the gun and ready when he is coming in- one thing I haven't seen on any of the post above and I figured I would is the diaphragm is usually my only call to carry on a rainy day when I don't want to get my good pot calls soaking wet - I don't carry a box but wouldn't carry it in the rain if I did- I know you can put the pot calls in Tupperware and such but I'll stick with the diaphragm... weather don't affect it imo

Tail Feathers

I've killed most of my turkeys using diaphragm calls over the years.  But this year, I struggled to be consistent.  I need more practice.  I used a pot some to get me by and it worked pretty well for me. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

J Lacey

Just completed my 32 spring season. Don't own a mouth call.  I envy those that can run em well.
2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner