turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Public fanning video

Started by zeke632, May 16, 2021, 02:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archivist13

Interesting conversation. I enjoy the Hunting Public and appreciate what they have done for the hunting community. I've been hunting since I was 12 years old in 1988. Turkey hunting was still pretty basic with limited calls and your all-purpose shotgun. Sure things have changed over the years, some for the better, some worse. That's how the hunting and fishing world are. I have never used a fan, and never will being I hunt turkeys on public and prefer to come home alive. Yes, there has been a surge in public land hunting in the last couple years, most likely due to the YT craze, but honestly I think the biggest reason is because people are priced off of their old hunting grounds with crazy lease prices. I know I have. Fads come and go, so I don't see many of the people that are just getting into the game due to YT sticking around for long. Give them a couple yeas of unsuccessful hunts and they will be selling off their equipment and entering the next big thing. Hopefully some of these new hunters stick around to keep the sports going now that many of the old timers are stopping to drop off. It's a sad reality, but despite the appearance of all these new people showing up in your favorite hunting spot, most won't be around in a year or two. We really need to recruit and keep some of these people for our futures sake. I know I went off a tangent on the fanning issue, but I see it as just one of the examples of the resistance of many to anything new that may trespass on their well worn ways. I personally love OnX and use it every time in the woods, even though I can read a printed out topo map easily. To me it's the same as saying depth finders or GPS shouldn't be used in fishing. If it helps motivate you to go to places your used to be nervous about and get you home safely, than I'm all for it. But yeah, fanning just seems overly dangerous for me.

OJR

If it's legal, safe and you like it....more power to you. I don't have to do what you do, but I'm not going to condemn you for enjoying the sport your way.

Bennett

I guess the thing I find most interesting about some of these replies is the lack of concern and respect for the turkeys. If it's legal then it's ok? I guess so if all you are worried about if it's legal or not but you are obviously not concerned about the science and biology that has been brought to light in the last couple years regarding dominant toms and breeding. I think fanning and reaping should be outlawed personally and  I think it will be a contributing factor to some lean times ahead for turkey hunting.

Kygobblergetter

Personally I didn't have any problem with him using a fan in the video. It's not something I do but it didn't bother me. With that being said I do believe that fanning or reaping or whatever you want to call it, should probably be illegal. It's just too effective and often results in the death of the dominant "field birds" that seem to do much of the breeding. The hunting public are one of the few groups that I will watch on YouTube along with Dave, catman, and Shane Simpson. They are true turkey hunters but I don't expect them to be perfect. I would have preferred them not use the fan but it also didn't really bother me that they did. All of this being said, I think it would probably be best for the turkeys, and eliminate a lot of bad hunters if decoys were outlawed all together. I feel that would have a much greater effect than pushing start dates back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie g

The But but but but it's legal crowd has crawled out there double bull blinds to speak up !!

zeke632

Quote from: Bennett on May 17, 2021, 03:49:19 PM
I guess the thing I find most interesting about some of these replies is the lack of concern and respect for the turkeys. If it's legal then it's ok? I guess so if all you are worried about if it's legal or not but you are obviously not concerned about the science and biology that has been brought to light in the last couple years regarding dominant toms and breeding. I think fanning and reaping should be outlawed personally and  I think it will be a contributing factor to some lean times ahead for turkey hunting.

Very well said

I would encourage everyone to read "Issues Concerning the Decline of Wild Turkeys by Dr Jim Miller.
Mississippi St University

stinkpickle

Shiloh

I would be for outlawing all decoys 100%.  How do we get it done?  Whining about it on the innerweb ain't gonna do it. 

Howie g

Quote from: Shiloh on May 17, 2021, 07:33:22 PM
I would be for outlawing all decoys 100%.  How do we get it done?  Whining about it on the innerweb ain't gonna do it.

. I'm afraid where out numbered my friend ...

Shiloh

MS TurkeyHunter

Quote from: Bennett on May 17, 2021, 03:49:19 PM
This 100%!

Just because it's legal dose not mean it's ethical. What concerns me the most about THP showing this on there channel is it will modivate even more people to do the same. With the already crazy crowds of people on public land someone will possibly get shot. I could just see a kid watching this and thinking because his favorite YouTube hero did it they got to now. Lastly, it really looked like all they cared about in that video was getting a kill on film to promote there channel. Therefore the fan came out!

Hell the next thing I know some YouTube rock star will shoot one off the roost in a video and people will defend it saying " How dare you tell anyone to hunt. if it's legal it's always ok".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

I think spring season should be outlawed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

Quote from: fallhnt on May 17, 2021, 09:49:55 PM

Don't forget FALL also...

Howie g

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 17, 2021, 10:31:53 PM

Don't forget FALL also...
Hey hey ,, simmer down fellas  :cowboy:

stinkpickle

Back in the 80s, an old timer told me it was cruel to hunt turkeys in the spring, because they're just looking for a little action.   :TooFunny: