turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Public fanning video

Started by zeke632, May 16, 2021, 02:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeke632

I've watched these guys hunting turkeys for a little while and for the most part have admired how hard they work and never quit attitude.  I don't remember ever seeing them use a decoy, but I haven't seen all of their videos. 
I'm really disappointed seeing them stoop to using a fan. The guy who uses it claims that he only used it to make a move with his gun.  You've got to move a bunch more getting something out of your vest than you do moving a shotgun.  You carry a fan for hiding movement?  Yeah right
They have a huge following and have the ability to influence new hunters.  Turkeys are so vulnerable to the fan that it cheapens turkey hunting. IMO   
99% of the comments on that video are positive, that is sad to me. I really hope that isn't the direction turkey hunting is going. 

quavers59

Pluffmud

Do yall find any fault in Knight and Hale? What about Will Primos? There is a lot of condemnation towards the social media community lately. Remember the Outdoor Channel? Sportmans Network? They were doing the same thing social media guys are doing. There was no condemnation towards them.They set unrealistic expectations that influenced beginners, as they often hunted world class private hunting grounds. They touted all the big name brands. They used the latest and greatest technology as an advantage. Why is mainstreem cable media accepted in the hunting community, but social media is considered bad?

Psalm 46:10

Sasha and Abby

decoys and fans, while legal, are just tools for those who cannot kill one by the call.  very sad to cheapen the hunt with them...

zeke632

Quote from: Pluffmud on May 16, 2021, 05:17:04 AM
Do yall find any fault in Knight and Hale? What about Will Primos? There is a lot of condemnation towards the social media community lately. Remember the Outdoor Channel? Sportmans Network? They were doing the same thing social media guys are doing. There was no condemnation towards them.They set unrealistic expectations that influenced beginners, as they often hunted world class private hunting grounds. They touted all the big name brands. They used the latest and greatest technology as an advantage. Why is mainstreem cable media accepted in the hunting community, but social media is considered bad?
If Primos or Knight and Hale were using a fan then yes I would find fault.
What I have seen on fanning videos, it's as lethal as corn is.  Would you be in favor of legalizing hunting turkeys over bait?
If hunting turkeys is ALL about the kill, then I'd say that you just don't get it.

Hooksfan

I have pretty much had an attitude that I wouldnt judge the methods another hunter used as long as it was legal.  My attitude on fanning has been that it would be something to do once to say ya did it if you feel you have to and then never do it again.
What does concern me is that it seems 90% of the new turkey videos I see are using fanning as their go to method.
Those guys are NOT turkey hunters. Sorry.
Kinda like going to a strip club and thinking you are a ladies man, IMO.

lowoctane

:morning:
Marketing and sales: where the "sport" is being led? I was mentored by a hunter that stressed abilities over the actual kill. Many times I heard this phrase "that's hunting" when neither of us would bring home our quarry. "What did you learn?" was also said equally to emphasize the importance of growing into my abilities. This season I had the privelage of taking out a 17 year old hunter who has been brought up with the same mindset, and it was a blessing to help him along with his new found passion: turkey hunting. He's already an accomplished deer and duck hunter so he said those words "that's hunting" a few times as we weren't successful in bringing one home with us. He has been brought up to appreciate what all is involved in the hunt and understands the importance of his role in being able to be successful with respect to the final moments of his quarry's life. It's about the hunt: safety, have fun and if you bring one home, that's a plus! I built on his abilities and we had a great time in the woods, safely. I cannot understand how anyone can use a fan safely, much less market these things as a necessary tool for a successful tool. It's like putting on a deer costume during deer season and walking through the woods to me. Utter stupidity and totally irresponsible. :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Mountainburd

I saw the video, and it really did not bother me all that much.  If you watch hunting public semi regularly, you can't help but have respect for Aaron, the hunter in the video that used the fan.  He has more than proven that he can kill birds in all terrain and scenarios and is just an all around likeable guy.

Now with that being said, and aside from this video, the surge of fanning should not be a surprise to anyone.  Everything in today's world is about going big or going home.  Everything is in grandiose fashion, in many ways to feed into social media on many levels.  Think about how openly people talk about belly crawling a turkey now, and how accepted it is? My gosh growing up in Pennsylvania that would have been considered stalking and you would have been shamed.  Those days are gone.

There's no doubt people are killing a lot of turkeys now, and by any means necessary aside from shooting them out of the roost. This is coinciding with the reduction of the resource.  I think sometimes we need to take a step back and decide how bad we really want to kill "another" turkey.  We've come a long way from the tactics of Gene Nunnery for sure.

gergg

I had a guy and his son/nephew sneak up on me "fanning" on public land (I was hen calling only). I had to yell at them as I was afraid of getting shot. I am sure it works wonders, but in my mind that is not hunting.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

arkrem870

The reason people are alarmed over the youtubers vs tv guys ......youtubers are pimping public spots and screwing up local hunters with added pressure. Making public land hunting and traveling a fad/trend.

Waddell and the outdoor channel bunch are fanning nearly exclusively.....it makes for good tv and the products they push. Its comparable to spinning wing decoys in duck hunting .... it was cool at first then we realized the problems associated with it.

Same can also be said for youtubers.....it was enjoyable to watch at first then we saw the added pressure and toll it's taking on the resource. Just like with spinning wing decoys they need to disappear. But with $$$$ involved the powers that be look the other way

bonasa

Those guys live by the " even a blind squirrel finds a nut " and are turkey hunters IMO. Sometimes ambushing jakes, shooting bearded hens and embellishing a justification i.e. covering up a movement with a fan are all that bring views. Good on them, promote your brand, not for me though.

You just want to point your finger and say, " there he is, that's the bad guy."

Then again shoot one bird behind the fan at 2 yards and your an immoral, cheater that lacks knowledge, values and skills to hunt the 'ol boy on his own terms. Is fanning the biggest metrics that are used in this activity to discern those credible from others and used as a qualifier to separate the wheat from the chaff?

guesswho

I like turkey hunting videos, but unfortunately for me there are not many out there.    I've not seen the video this thread mentions, read enough here to know it would be a waste of time for me to search it, so I won't comment on it.  I haven't seen many turkey hunting videos at all.   Have watched very few to the end.   I usually make it to the first scene with a decoy, or some fool doing the happy dance because he just took the life of a gobbler.  Usually that's within the first 30 seconds.   The videos I enjoy are kids, and first timers showing the excitement of the hunt not necessarily the kill. 

I wish I could go back 50 plus years when I started as a kid, and be able to take the social media technology with me.   I wonder what the videos would be like.   Typical conversation with a hunter back then was you hear or see anything?   Nope, ain't seen or heard anything since last season.  Peak in the bed of their truck or Jeep and chances are good you would see a turkey feather or two, or sometimes a hunting jacket with a turkeys foot or the tip of a wing sticking out.    I'd like to see if the social media machine would have changed that mentality or if they would have remained the same.   I have a feeling not many turkeys would have been posted back then.   I always wonder if people have changed on their own over the years or if social media helped change people.   I'm guessing social media played a big part.  The positive for me is I've noticed a small trend where a few hunters seem to be reverting back to those haven't seen or heard anything all year tendencies.   They share with a small group of people and not the entire google machine.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ChesterCopperpot

Unlike a lot of folks here, I actually really enjoy The Hunting Public typically. And they're all stupid woodsy. If you don't believe that try to consistently spot and stalk mature bedded whitetails. 99.9% of people couldn't do what they're managing to do each fall. Aaron seems to be a super genuine guy. Hell of an outdoorsman. A great advocate for the sport, and more importantly for the bird. That said, they've made mistakes and aren't infallible by any means. There have also been piles of, perhaps unintended, consequences as a result of their popularity. I haven't seen the video this post is referencing but if concealing a movement is the justification given, here's my objection: sometimes the turkey just wins. And that's okay! Matter of fact, that's the best part of it! In the past they've done a great job of not only showing kills, but showing the tough days and the days they get whooped by the quarry. Honestly that's what I enjoy most about them. It ain't all slow mo footage of five yard head shots. The Florida footage at the beginning of this year, they got whooped for days on end, and that's what they aired, them getting whooped. Aaron knows that, so maybe it was just a lapse of judgement. Personally I'd rather watch a good bird pin him down and whoop him than I would him use a fan to get away with things he couldn't get away with otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimspur

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 16, 2021, 09:05:51 AM
Unlike a lot of folks here, I actually really enjoy The Hunting Public typically. And they're all stupid woodsy. If you don't believe that try to consistently spot and stalk mature bedded whitetails. 99.9% of people couldn't do what they're managing to do each fall. Aaron seems to be a super genuine guy. Hell of an outdoorsman. A great advocate for the sport, and more importantly for the bird. That said, they've made mistakes and aren't infallible by any means. There have also been piles of, perhaps unintended, consequences as a result of their popularity. I haven't seen the video this post is referencing but if concealing a movement is the justification given, here's my objection: sometimes the turkey just wins. And that's okay! Matter of fact, that's the best part of it! In the past they've done a great job of not only showing kills, but showing the tough days and the days they get whooped by the quarry. Honestly that's what I enjoy most about them. It ain't all slow mo footage of five yard head shots. The Florida footage at the beginning of this year, they got whooped for days on end, and that's what they aired, them getting whooped. Aaron knows that, so maybe it was just a lapse of judgement. Personally I'd rather watch a good bird pin him down and whoop him than I would him use a fan to get away with things he couldn't get away with otherwise.

I watched the video. The only issue I had with it was he said he was going to use the fan so he could move his gun. He then proceeded to fan the turkey all the way to the gun. If you're going to fan a turkey just be honest about it. Don't try to BS me.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Jimspur on May 16, 2021, 09:16:34 AM
I watched the video. The only issue I had with it was he said he was going to use the fan so he could move his gun. He then proceeded to fan the turkey all the way to the gun. If you're going to fan a turkey just be honest about it. Don't try to BS me.
That's a shame.