OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using the gobble in the woods ???

Started by Yoder409, May 15, 2021, 08:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Who uses the gobble in the spring ??

I gotta admit, the use of the gobble is basically a zero occurrence for me.  The very few times (like.....over a span of 40+ years) I've ever used it, I've had a grand total of NO positive results.

Do you use it ??  Often ??  Occasionally ??

Positive results ??

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

ScottTaulbee

The first time I ever used it was this season, I had a bird that stopped gobbling, it was later in the morning around 9:30 or 10. He gobbled all morning hot and heavy from about 150 yards away on the spur ridge directly across the holler from me while I was working another bird, all of a sudden he wouldn't gobble to any of my calls, neither of my 2 pot calls, not my trumpet, box, several mouth calls. Wouldn't gobble to my locators either. I was trying to figure out if this was a lost cause or if the silence was him slipping in. I gobbled on my mouth call and he gobbled back from further away up the other ridge and made the decision easy to come back the next day when he was more ready to die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

It can be an unfair advantage if you understand the breeding cycle and social structure. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ChesterCopperpot

Late season when the boys are getting back together it's an especially effective call. Last year I killed a LATE season bird gobbling on a Halloran box. Two came in both gobbling their heads off late afternoon. Nothing else had worked. I've also used it on occasion with a hung up gobbler. Another time last year me and a buddy were working a bird and he was hung up on a ridgeline. I signaled to him that I was going to call and when I did I wanted him to shake a gobble tube. He nodded and as I yelped he cut me off gobbling on that tube. To me a gobble tube sounds more like a jake than a mature bird. Well it worked and that old jealous boss come off the hill ready to put his spurs to that young bird's head. I think he was hellbent on getting that hen to come to him but the second he thought another, lesser gobbler had come into the equation all bets were off and he tossed caution to the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I won't for safety reasons. To many idiots in the areas I hunt and some of those idiots have rifles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HookedonHooks

Quote from: guesswho on May 15, 2021, 08:33:12 AM
It can be an unfair advantage if you understand the breeding cycle and social structure. 
Knowing their situation in whole in your area, I'd say unfair is a very accurate description. When they're coming to a gobble, they usually come running.

Greg Massey

I've used it for years with no problems. Also started using jake and gobbler yelps this season. Roger Parks makes awesome gobbler pot call... Just another item in your bag of tricks.

Chris O

It is usually a last ditch effort from me to try to make him mad and I can't say it has helped me. On a fall hunt a couple years ago I think it did help me and made the birds gobble back at me. I will also use it as a locator in spring with some success.

stinkpickle

I've tried, but it didn't work at that well.  Spitting and drumming have been much more effective.

paboxcall

Have used it cautiously. Rare occasions, it can turn a stubborn bird into a foolish bird. It can turn a quiet bird into a vocal bird. Jake yelps can do the same, which I rely on much, much more.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Mountainburd

I use it occasionally throughout the season. I hunt exclusively private in my home state with no other hunters. It has worked well over the years on certain days. I killed a bird 3-4 years ago just doing non stop gobbling late in the season. He came from over 500 yards away.  He gobbled every time I did and worked his way in. This was effective that day over hen calling.

g8rvet

Used it last year with great success.  Someone above me said it is last ditch and I guess that is true for me.  We had a bird right near us hen up and move away and heard two a couple hundred yards away.  They gobbled every once in a while and were skirting our calls.  I hit the gobble tube and they hammered.  Checked them again a few minutes later and they had closed the distance.  Set it down and a few minutes later in they came.  It was special op hunt and only one could be taken and my nephew killed him.  No doubt it made the difference. 

Only time I have ever used it for a kill. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

sswv

I was taught that you NEVER gobble in the spring woods and it's something I never done until about 5 years ago. The first time I actually tried it I killed a late season longbeard. He had a buddy and they stuck together like glue. They didn't gobble until about 8:30am and would not come to a hen call PERIOD. I got fed up with them after a few days and one morning I was closer to them than I had ever been before and they would not respond to hen calls so I thought heck, I'll just gobble. I did and the more dominant bird lost his mind. Within minutes he was coming and coming hard. He was the first bird I killed with a 20ga. It is not something I'd do often and to be honest I haven't done it since that day BUT, if the situation requires those measures I'd give it a try again.

Brad_Colvin

I have used it the past as a last ditch effort to locate a gobbler at roost time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk