turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

cicada hatch and poult production

Started by JMalin, May 14, 2021, 01:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

any studies on this?  are we in for a bumper crop of toms two years from now in the eastern US?

bigriverbum

I noticed grasshoppers yesterday. That's 2 months early. We just been so dry. Wpuld think that will help poults

AndyH

Anytime there are cicada's in Ohio the kill numbers go up the following two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

turkey_slayer

I've noticed population trends the couple of years after cicadas. Good hunting and the turkeys are healthy. I killed my top 3 heaviest turkeys after the last cicada hatch

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mihunte

I was pretty excited when I first read about the brood X hatch a couple months ago. Unfortunately, the hatch won't be as widespread as some articles might have you believe. Some made it seem like cicadas would be swarming everywhere east of the Mississippi, but it really is in pockets in several states. Indiana and MD I recall being two that are pretty well covered by this brood.

Vintage

I believe Ohio and Ky is in on them also.

catman529

There's a map of all the broods and their distribution and what years they hatch. We don't have this years hatch in my part of tennessee. Our next big hatch is 2024.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gobble!

Quote from: catman529 on May 16, 2021, 08:51:55 PM
There's a map of all the broods and their distribution and what years they hatch. We don't have this years hatch in my part of tennessee. Our next big hatch is 2024.

Didn't know this. I'll need to look that up.

bbcoach

Some false or miss leading information here concerning Kentucky.  If the last hatch was 2008 and they come out every 17 years, Do the Math???

Vintage

I'll let you know this week should be here Thursday or friday. Maybe different in different parts of the state.

catman529

Quote from: bbcoach on May 17, 2021, 09:16:06 AM
Some false or miss leading information here concerning Kentucky.  If the last hatch was 2008 and they come out every 17 years, Do the Math???
There are multiple different broods, some 13 and some 17 year.

Will

My oldest son killed a bird a week and a half ago and his crop was filled with them. They were larvae stage without the wings. This was in Maryland and the bird was killed in a field.   

HookedonHooks

Don't matter how many cicadas there are to eat if the raccoons eat all the eggs. I'd imagine on places where coons are still trapped there could be bumper crops on those particular properties.