OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dogwood Tree

Started by TRKYHTR, May 30, 2011, 01:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

In the early 90's I went to Alabama for my first trip to the south. I had never even seen a dogwood tree before. So the first time I saw a forest full of dogwood blooms I fell in love with them. We don't have many dogwoods in CA. I decided I was going to buy some and plant them and see if they would grow. My oldest tree is 6 years old now. Last year it had 5 blooms on it. This year was a little different. I also have 3 more that are planted and they will be 5 years old next year. Hopefully they will bloom. Here is a few pics I took yesterday.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

selinoid44

I love all different kinds of trees, their awesome. Some of them I don't like in my yard though, and a Dogwood is one of them. They are a bueatiful tree.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

redarrow

Dogwoods and Red buds will always remind me of the south.

wildturkey6

"The dogwood was the tree chosen to construct the Cross that would be used to take the body of Jesus. Even though His body may have been taken from this earth, His spirit remains and every spring we are blessed with a reminder of the events that unfolded on that fateful weekend. The blooms often appear in the shape of a Cross with holes in the tips of the pedals signifying the nails that were driven into the Cross. If you look closely at these holes you can notice a faint red stain representing the Blood. In the center you will find a green bloom symbolizing the crown of thorns placed on the head of Jesus. After the Crucifixion, God proclaimed that dogwood trees would never grow large ever again. This is the reason the trunks of dogwoods are skinny and often branch off low on the trunk. The dogwood is more than a tree...it is a representation of life. With every spring we are reminded of what God did for us and given the chance to be reborn and start a new life as "children of God". (John 3:1)"

Sherrell

I planted three on my north Florida property a few years back,turkeys love the fall berries and when they start blooming,so are the gobblers.

turkey slayer

Dogwoods are all over the place down here, I love em!

NCBigShot

Quote from: Sherrell on May 30, 2011, 12:51:23 PM
I planted three on my north Florida property a few years back,turkeys love the fall berries and when they start blooming,so are the gobblers.

...you can say that again, Sherrell. :icon_thumright:
When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

TnTurk

Quote from: wildturkey6 on May 30, 2011, 10:40:44 AM
"The dogwood was the tree chosen to construct the Cross that would be used to take the body of Jesus. Even though His body may have been taken from this earth, His spirit remains and every spring we are blessed with a reminder of the events that unfolded on that fateful weekend. The blooms often appear in the shape of a Cross with holes in the tips of the pedals signifying the nails that were driven into the Cross. If you look closely at these holes you can notice a faint red stain representing the Blood. In the center you will find a green bloom symbolizing the crown of thorns placed on the head of Jesus. After the Crucifixion, God proclaimed that dogwood trees would never grow large ever again. This is the reason the trunks of dogwoods are skinny and often branch off low on the trunk. The dogwood is more than a tree...it is a representation of life. With every spring we are reminded of what God did for us and given the chance to be reborn and start a new life as "children of God". (John 3:1)"

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Nimrodmar10

I hope one of the others you planted was a Pink Dogwood. They're really pretty when they bloom.

vaturkey

Dogwoods are really beautiful . The Va. state flower is the dogwood !

Good choice Joe !    vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

vaturkey

Heres a pic of a Pink Dogwood that I took this spring.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

LX_Trkyhntr

I am surprised they are blooming now.  Ours bloom right as the trees are budding out.  I have several around my house, I too love to see them in full bloom!!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

TRKYHTR

I don't know what kind they are. I know I bought 4 different kinds. 1 was red and 1 was pink. I think I remember 1 being a chinese. I thought this white one was a normal white dogwood. Maybe it doesn't have the red color on it because it is young.IDK.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

ghillie

Are the white dogwoods in your photos Cornis Florida??  I have tried to get them established up here in Iowa but with us being Zone 5 it has been a little difficult.  The only place around the house that I have had success is on the south east corner...protected from the cold north winds and snow.  I have also had problems with a blight that the are prone to have...I have heard that the blight has been very hard on them down south and one should beware when buying them from nurseries from down south.  They are very slow growing and are particular about what and where they grow...

Ol'Mossy

The Dogwoods here in Pa were blooming the first week of spring gobbler season, first week of May, that's a bit early around here.