OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who’s rolled a atv on yourselves...?

Started by lowoctane, May 02, 2021, 07:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

and lived to tell the story?!  :TrainWreck1:
I have and I'm happy that I'm alive and still hunting! Got turned around (lost) and was trying to stay on my side of the blue line here in MO, so was carefully picking my way through the hills and woods. Was very close to a recognized trail and was going down a rock infested hill when my right front wheel slipped on a flat rock and then caught on the dirt and twisted the handlebars out of my hands and threw me sideways on the down side of the fall and then the bike rolled over me. Happened in a flash. Lay there for a second trying to assess what might be broken but aside from some bumps on my head and small abrasions there too, I seemed ok. When I managed to stand up I realized that I had jammed my right hand/wrist and my left hip/buttock, as well as twisting my lower back. The bike landed right side up and had stopped running so had to see if it would start again and it did, thankfully. Now I had to drive the bike out of the hollow and up a fairly good sized hill to get on an established trail. Not fun with my right wrist screaming at me. Well I made it back to my truck after a while and have to say that I am very blessed to have been able to survive my lone trek through the hills of MO.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

nitro

A friend's Dad just had an ATV accident.  Rolled over on him, trapping him in a river. If it wasn't for a neighbor hearing him screaming, he would have drowned. He did get a compound tib/ fib fracture which resulted in his leg being amputated from the knee down.

He has a long road to recovery.  This man was in pretty poor health condition before the incident. Be safe.
Royal Slam 2008

lowoctane

I'll add that this happened during my scouting time prior to hunting this particular area, so I did have some time to lick my wounds and count my blessings!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

wvmntnhick

Many moons ago, I was headed down a steep hill. Front tire grabbed a rut and launched me over the handlebars. Bike rolled over me but other than being a little banged up, I was in pretty good condition overall. The bike, which dad had for a whopping 12 days prior to the accident, didn't do as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Twice acutally.
First one I was riding on the back and my brother was driving.  We came to a big hump and he said "hold on" and gassed it over the hump.  Too steep, we rolled over backwards.  He and the wheeler came down on me.  Broke ribs front and back.
Second one I did to myself.  I was riding sideways near the top of a steep hill. and the front tire went into a hole, rolling me sideways down the hill.  I managed to get a leg up and keep the bike from squishing me.  Had a minor stab wound in my back from a limb that I rolled on.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

paboxcall

In the 1980s, with the old Honda 3-wheeler that belonged to a buddy. There's a good reason they don't make them anymore and I was lucky.

Trying walk it up over a deadfall, which I'd done several times prior, and gave it too much gas. The front went over the log and stuck, and it rolled to my right as the back wheels caught traction on the log. I hit the ground perfectly, right behind the log which protected me from most of the weight of the 3-wheeler. I was able to push it over and off me. It landed upright, I jumped back on, and went on my way. No injury other than scared.

That incident years ago cured any interest in ATVs for me. Hike it or ride a mountain bike.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

guesswho

Yep.   My Wife has the pins and plate in her left wrist to remind her to never get on one with me again.   I was unhurt, but she crushed her wrist.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3bailey3

long time ago, Honda 185s three wheeler, went up a steep creek and it flipped back on my chest, lucky i wasn't hurt..

bigriverbum

rolled 3 wheelers quite a few times. luckily they were tiny vehicles

in 6th grade i was riding a friends 4 wheeler on a hill way to steep and it rolled downhill on me. my helmet cracked when the engine block landed on it.

twyatt

I believe that's how Tim Grounds died a couple years ago. World renowned goose caller/call maker.   He was spraying weeds at his hunt club and his 4 wheeler flipped over and landed on him and killed him.

bear hunter

I have many times mostly do to stupidity.

bigriverbum

Quote from: twyatt on May 02, 2021, 10:22:56 PM
I believe that's how Tim Grounds died a couple years ago. World renowned goose caller/call maker.   He was spraying weeds at his hunt club and his 4 wheeler flipped over and landed on him and killed him.

yup. very sad. his d "overhauler" is my favorite game call of all time.

i just don't like atv/utvs. as laws around here become relaxed, people are just driving around all weekend on highways, county roads, town roads, etc. while drinking

not to mention how many people think they need them to drive 300 yards to their blind/stand.  sorry most hunters suck.

bigriverbum

bear hunter

bigriverbum

Quote from: bear hunter on May 02, 2021, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: bigriverbum on May 02, 2021, 10:32:53 PM
Quote from: bear hunter on May 02, 2021, 10:30:37 PM
I have many times mostly do to stupidity.

it's "due" stupid   :goofball:
Yes your correct I didnt catch that.

it was a very lighthearted response. no offense intended

i broke my foot in college in madison and rode a little honda spree moped across town in the middle of winter with 2 ski poles to go to the doctor. stupid is as stupid does..... in most cases. i look AND act stupid  :bike2: