turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

ISO Kansas Rio info will swap info for eastern and merriams

Started by rgref522, May 01, 2021, 03:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mkeller

I live in the se part of the state and our turkey hunting in our zone were we hunt is only eastern and went from 2 birds to 1 for the last 2 seasons and I'm still amazed at the out of state pressure in our zone.  When I really noticed a jump in hunting pressure was when tourism dept was added to ks dept of wildlife dept.  We still harvest our birds and have a good time doing it.  I will say that the out of state hunters help the economy in the small towns just as I do when we go ice fishing in sd or nebraska.  I feel they have just as much right to come to ks as I do to go to their state and hunt or fish, it's not my place to tell people how and where they can go and spend their time and money.

nativeks

Now this is not a fair comparison since they shut off tags to NR hunters last year, but NR tags sold were up 347% from from the 2020 covid year to this year while residents dropped 13.8%. Again you have to take those with a grain of salt and I am trying to get the 2019 numbers for a more fair comparison.

AndyN

Quote from: nativeks on June 17, 2021, 09:13:02 PM
Now this is not a fair comparison since they shut off tags to NR hunters last year, but NR tags sold were up 347% from from the 2020 covid year to this year while residents dropped 13.8%. Again you have to take those with a grain of salt and I am trying to get the 2019 numbers for a more fair comparison.
NR numbers have ranged from 14k-16k over the last 10+ years. The real issue is pushing everyone into the only two units that allow two birds. Just based off tag sales and available land area, hunter pressure doubled in units 1 & 2 in 2021 from 2019 numbers. If you look at available public land I'd guess pressure has increased 4x or more. And that would match up with what I saw this spring.

nativeks

They do seem concerned that resident numbers continue to fall. Ill be a statistic next year. I won't be purchasing a tag. Waiting on my fishing boat to come in, should be here next month. Ill still do my part improving the habitat I have so if they ever do come back I will be ready. Ive got a loan hen that has been at the pond picking clover the last few mornings. No poults seen.

PNWturkey

Visited family in Kansas last week.

Drove from Kansas City to around Russell, including ample time on backroad highways, and the only turkeys I saw were on my small family farm.

Granted, most hens are probably not in open fields right now, but would have thought I'd see a few jakes/gobblers here and there...