Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your favorite pellet smoker and why?

Started by Chris O, May 01, 2021, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

I am wanting a pellet smoker and it seems there are many choices. I know there is something special about a stick burner but I want a pellet one for ease of use. Which brand do you like and why? Has it worked well for several years? Is it consistent on temperature for extended hours during a cook?Do pellets feed well through it? Thanks for any information

aclawrence

I believe Rec Tecs are at the top of the heap of pellet grills. They have the best computer compared to the other brands. I've had mine for 3-4 years now. It has worked well. There's been a couple times something hasn't been working right and I've called them and they helped me get it fixed over the phone. It's usually a setting that needs adjusted. They packaging was not real great when I ordered mine and the grill was damaged. They picked it up and sent me another one. Mine has been great for smoking butts, whole chickens and stuff like that. I'll usually throw a smoke tube in there for those types of cooks. It will hold temperature within 1-2 degrees all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gergg

I have a Rec Tec as well, I believe it is the RT-700 model. I've had it for approx 3 years and it has worked great, never any issues, keeps temp right on the money for as long as there are pellets in the hopper. The Rec Tec is so easy and almost impossible to ruin anything you put on it due to the indirect heating.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

yelpy

I will say the pitboss pellet smoker I bought is terrible for temp fluctuations. Id never buy another pitboss.

nitro

Pitts and Spits from TX. Super nice . Rec Tex gets good reviews .
Royal Slam 2008

Shiloh

I've had good luck with my Yoder, but haven't had it but about 6 months

WV Ridge Reaper

I have had a trager for about 4 years now..It works when it wants to...Seems like to me I shouldn't have to clean it out every time I grill something but in order for it to be reliable to the point of turning it on and walking away it has to be shop vac  before using it.

A trager grill goes hand and hand with the yeti coolers some of the most over priced junk a person could have..And yes I own both

Trager customer service has been helpful when called upon but I'll never own any their

Chris O

Thanks for the information so far guys. I have heard good things about Yoder and Rec Tec. Anyone running Green Mountain? That's what is starting to be sold locally around me? Thanks for everything so far. I have heard good and bad about Traeger and Pitboss. I was also wondering about camp chef if anyone has an opinion.

JeffC

New to the smokers also, went with the RECTEQ T-700, name changed. We love it, had it for 1 month, have used it every weekend, only complaint so far is having to buy a sear kit to cook a steak. Did the research, biggest thing is too buy quality pellets.  Best thing is sitting out there smelling it while it smokes.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

g8rvet

My son in law went with a Pit Boss grill smoker and has cooked on it a ton.  Very few problems.  Does need to be kept clean, but he would anyway.

I went with a Pit Boss vertical 5.  I have cooked 5 butts and beans at one time and another time I cooked 8 racks of ribs and beans.  Have had folks brag on our ribs and butts and beg us to cook again.  Super easy. Thanksgiving turkey was very good (I am gonna try again, I think I can do it better).

They are not as well made as the over a grand smokers, but I keep mine in garage and he keeps his under porch. I would never leave either model outside in weather.  Even with a cover.  No issues with temps, but I just got rid of a stick burner that was a nightmare to keep at the right temp, so anything like this would be easier to me. All smokers have temp fluctuations.  Heck, even your oven does. 

I honestly think most of them are more about the quality of the pellets you use and how much smoke flavor you want.  No matter which you decide, research your pellets as much or more than your smoker.  You just gotta learn the difference from the stick burner.  My old ribs were great, but were a terrible chore and an 8 hour time commitment.  My family says these are just as good (probably not, but I ain't entering a competition).  It is definitely more fun for me - loads easier.

I do agree Yoder or Rec Tec have the best reputation.  But for as little as I use mine (maybe 10-12 cooks a year) I am very pleased.  The reality is a better cook than me could get better meat off my Pit Boss than I could off a Rec Tec I am quite sure.  Just follow the rules of smoking and get you a meat thermometer and write down every cook and grade your results and you can't go wrong. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

I put my butts on as I go to bed and pull them in the morning.  So simple.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Chris O

Quote from: g8rvet on May 01, 2021, 10:00:39 PM
My son in law went with a Pit Boss grill smoker and has cooked on it a ton.  Very few problems.  Does need to be kept clean, but he would anyway.

I went with a Pit Boss vertical 5.  I have cooked 5 butts and beans at one time and another time I cooked 8 racks of ribs and beans.  Have had folks brag on our ribs and butts and beg us to cook again.  Super easy. Thanksgiving turkey was very good (I am gonna try again, I think I can do it better).

They are not as well made as the over a grand smokers, but I keep mine in garage and he keeps his under porch. I would never leave either model outside in weather.  Even with a cover.  No issues with temps, but I just got rid of a stick burner that was a nightmare to keep at the right temp, so anything like this would be easier to me. All smokers have temp fluctuations.  Heck, even your oven does. 

I honestly think most of them are more about the quality of the pellets you use and how much smoke flavor you want.  No matter which you decide, research your pellets as much or more than your smoker.  You just gotta learn the difference from the stick burner.  My old ribs were great, but were a terrible chore and an 8 hour time commitment.  My family says these are just as good (probably not, but I ain't entering a competition).  It is definitely more fun for me - loads easier.

I do agree Yoder or Rec Tec have the best reputation.  But for as little as I use mine (maybe 10-12 cooks a year) I am very pleased.  The reality is a better cook than me could get better meat off my Pit Boss than I could off a Rec Tec I am quite sure.  Just follow the rules of smoking and get you a meat thermometer and write down every cook and grade your results and you can't go wrong.
One of my friends has a pit boss and has used it quite a bit with good results but had his first problem with it last weekend. He figured it out that he needs to clean it more. Thanks for the pellet info

aclawrence

I don't have any experience with a camp chef pellet grill, but I just bought their four burner griddle to compliment my rec tec.  I really like it. It seems to be high quality and is another super handy cooking tool to have. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gergg

Quote from: Chris O on May 01, 2021, 10:24:48 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on May 01, 2021, 10:00:39 PM

One of my friends has a pit boss and has used it quite a bit with good results but had his first problem with it last weekend. He figured it out that he needs to clean it more. Thanks for the pellet info
The B&B Championship Blend pellets at Academy Sports are a pretty good deal, $14.99/40 lbs....they are good quality and priced fairly.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls