OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 11-87 SP Turkey year,,,need help!,,,UPDATE : )

Started by kdog, May 28, 2011, 05:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

I have three  11-87's in my safe  -one is a original from 1987 and is my dedicated waterfowl gun , reliable and soft shooting - i will note that the 1187 is slightly heavier than the newer and way more expensive auto's

I noticed a advertisement by the versi-max where they had a chart of all the recoil, and the 1187 beat out many of the newest models , and I don't even think the 1187 had the supercell recoil pad on it

If you get it , get rid of the factory plastic magazine shell follower , these will eventually bind up the cycling 

If I lost all my guns , I think a 11-87 with 3.5 in synthetic with a 26-28 bbl would cover me for a all in one sportsman's shotgun
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

kdog

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an  WOW,,,,I guess sometimes u just fall into a good deal and i just got a smokin deal i believe.Not to boast or anything but when i went back and looked it over again i asked if they would drop the price.Well the gun has been in the shop for roughly 30 days and the salesman would only budge $30.I really wanted this gun after looking at it again and seeing it was in pristine shape.No marks or scratches on it whatsoever,,,Barrel and chamber were excellent as well as the action.I noticed the numbers and letters on the left side of the barrel and we dated this gun back to Feb of 1992 and was the NWTF Gun of the Year for that year,,,not important but kinda cool fact.

I himhawed around awhile and was looking at a few other guns,,,Mossy 935 and a few 870's when one other salesman came up to me and asked if i seen anything i liked?I told him i was looking at that older Trebark 11-87 and he says to me "Yea some older fella brought that in about a month ago and is in great shape,,,It also comes with 2 other barrels,,,,,,a 21" cantilever deer barrel and a 26" field barrel and has 5 chokes total and a choke wrench."As soon as he said that i told him SOLD!!!

I figure theres at least $400 in the 2 extra barrels plus the gun itself and 5 chokes total! I walked out of there with a HUGE smile on my face.Im sure glad i spoke to the other salesman because the first 2 that i spoke to knew nothing about the extra barrels.

Heres a few other pics that i took for the forum to enjoy.It really is in excellent shape,,,the 2 extra barrels are blued not camo but i dont think the game i shoot will mind.It also came with a 1 year warranty from the shop and one free cleaning.

I just want to thank everyone that helped me out with this purchase,,i really dig the old school TreBark pattern it looks like it will disapear in the woods.

Sincerely,
Kdog

P.S.

One last thing any reccomendations on a aftermarket choke,,,Probaly will be shooting heavy shot out of it.

Sherrell

sugarray

Jelly head .660 and shoot hevi 3" 2 oz # 7.  Turkey killer for sure

DUCKDIGGLER

Nice score, I am green! May she bring you many long spurs! :you_rock:

Longshanks

Nice gun and an awesome deal with the barrels. You are set!! :z-guntootsmiley:

vaturkey

Kdog

Indian Creek .665 choke shoots real good in mine with hevi 13 3" 2oz. # 6's . Good luck with it. You got a smokin deal with 2 extra barrels.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

kdog

Thanks for the responses guys,,,i took it out and shot some winchester Supreme 3" 6 shot lead that i had laying around it shot terribly with the factory choke,lol.I have some Hevi-shot mag blends here but i dont want to waste them shooting it through the factory xfull choke.

It looks like the JH .660 and the Indian Creek .665 are the way to go.I believe i saw the JH at a local store for $20 but im not sure if it was one for the Remy.If it fits the Remy i'll go the cheap route and try the JH first.Im shooting a JH out of a H&R Topper deluxe and am happy with its performance.

Thanks,
Kdog

ILIKEHEVI-13

You might want to try a Pure Gold .670.  They throw a killer pattern. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's a killer pattern out of my 870 Express 3" 2oz #7 load with my Pure Gold .670 choke just to show you what I'm talking about.  That's the backside of the turkey target at a tape measured 40yds.

kdog

Thanks for the info Ilikehevi-13,,,id be happy with that ALL day,,,EVERYDAY!!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: kdog on May 29, 2011, 10:52:11 PM

Congratulations on your new gun. I currently have two 11-87s and one has had thousands of 3" turkey loads through it over the last 20+ years. It's a very tough gun.  

I have replaced several parts but no gun is made to absorb that kind of punishment.  I have 24", 26", 28" and 30" barrels for those guns and the 26" delivers the best patterns, consistently.

You have a gun that should last you a lifetime and deliver excellent service to you, no matter what the purpose.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: kdog on May 29, 2011, 10:52:11 PM

Your welcome. 

And I forgot to tell you nice gun.  I have a Rem 1100 that I bought like in 1984 that is just a great performing shotgun that shoots very well.  I love Remington guns period.  The 1187 is just a great functioning, shooting gun that will last a long, long time. 

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase