OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do turkeys get alarmed by seeing your breath

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, April 18, 2021, 09:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

It's been getting pretty cold here in the mornings and I can see the fog or steam from my breath float off.  If I were a turkey that would send an alarm, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sixes

I wouldn't think so, if he is that close, he needs shot already, plus lots of stuff has condensate form off of it in the AMs.

RutnNStrutn

I've often wondered the same thing while deer and turkey hunting. It's never caused me any issues though.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

I think after read this post, I've just about seen and read it all now on Old Gobbler...  :TooFunny:

Tom007

Plays heck on glasses and optics lenses.....
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 19, 2021, 05:22:40 AM
I think after read this post, I've just about seen and read it all now on Old Gobbler...  :TooFunny:
I just make it a point never to breathe while I'm turkey hunting. My head turns colors just a like a strutter. All natural.

Meleagris gallopavo

So when wafts of steam that I can see rise up over and over again from one spot, that isn't something a turkey can see?   Maybe it was a stupid question, but to me anything you can see that moves could be an issue.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on April 19, 2021, 08:39:12 AM
So when wafts of steam that I can see rise up over and over again from one spot, that isn't something a turkey can see?   Maybe it was a stupid question, but to me anything you can see that moves could be an issue.

So long as nothing else is moving I don't believe an animal can tell what's breath and what's moisture burning off, unless it's a deer and they're in a position to wind you. Don't think it's a stupid question at all. Just don't think it matters so long as nothing else is moving. Eye blinks on the other hand, I've seen that bugger plenty of animals.

grayfox

It's not a stupid question. I've wondered the same thing on cold mornings. I don't think it's something to worry about though. Like someone else said if he's that close to see your breath you would probably have already shot him.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: grayfox on April 19, 2021, 10:58:28 AM
It's not a stupid question. I've wondered the same thing on cold mornings. I don't think it's something to worry about though. Like someone else said if he's that close to see your breath you would probably have already shot him.
A lot of times I'm set up on a field edge so they could potentially see it out of gun range if they're in the field.  It wasn't something I was terribly worried about but it was something I was wondering about.

GobbleNut

Interesting question.  This is just another factor in the age-old question about whether turkeys can learn to associate danger with certain stimuli they encounter in their lives.

Point one:  With their eyesight considered to be exceptional, there is no reason to believe that they cannot see steam rising from any animal. 

Point two:  Are turkeys capable of becoming conditioned to avoid rising steam they see as being potentially dangerous?  I suspect they would if they had enough repeated negative encounters with it such that they began to associate that steam with danger. 

In my mind, there is no doubt that turkeys are capable of "learning" to associate breath steam with danger IF humans (or other predators) were the only source of that steam.  Because there are many innocuous sources of breath steam in the woods (any significantly large mammal) that turkeys do not associate with danger, it would probably take quite a number of negative "breath steam" encounters for a turkey to become conditioned to avoid it.

I suspect they probably learn to look closely at the source of the steam and then make a determination as to whether it might be friend or foe after a while,... but who knows for sure what goes on in that little turkey brain.

Marc

Yes...  They can see the steam from your breath.  If you want to be successful, you should not breath while turkey hunting.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Ihuntoldschool

I assume this was posted as a joke at least I hope so. 

Spring Creek Calls

Yesterday morning it was 29 degrees, a hen standing 10 yards in front of me with gobbler 40 yards behind her. You bet I was trying to breath down into my jacket.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com