OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2nd Iowa youth tag filled

Started by chadly, April 11, 2021, 08:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

Really feeling blessed as many years do not go as this youth season has.  My oldest son tagged out early on opener and today the last of the three day hunt my daughter got her first bird.  We hunt all state ground and so thankful we have it to hunt.  We were in the woods and set up 530 this morning.  She killed her bird about 330 this afternoon.  It was a long day and I was beat.  I said to Makayla lets call it a day.  She said dad at home I have no chance of getting a bird.  If we try one more spot I might get one.  So one more spot we tried.  This bird is not mature but he was heavy at 25lbs.  It it always a blessing to be in his creation.

btomlin

Full Fan= Mature Bird in my book!  Way to go, young lady!!

Yoteduster

I agree..its a gobbled..congrats!

b wilt

JeffC

Congrats to the young lady, great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Muzzy61

Congrats to the young lady, her smile says it all.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

ArMtnHntr

Every once in a while they teach us something.   Congrats!

owlhoot

:icon_thumright: Congrats Makayla. :icon_thumright:

Great job on keeping your dad out in the turkey woods giving it one more try.

chadly

Thanks guys.  The reason I said not mature was his spurs were not very long nor was his snood.  It was fun spending some time with my daughter just the two of us.  She was really excited to get her bird.  I went out this morning for the adult opener and got another bird.  With my son filling his tag opening youth morning that puts us three.  Going to be some good eating around here.  We've been through some tough seasons and this one sure has been special with more to come.

MK M GOBL

Congrats to you all, and sticking it out! Can't kill them from the couch.

As far as "Mature" a bird is a jake for one season and the next spring is a mature, you can't judge age by spurs those are by genetics, yes there are a lot of guesses to age or "average" measurements people use to age. And don't even understand the "snood" measuring LOL, never have measured one or even thought about it.

The girl has a big smile, how can any measurements compare to that.

MK M GOBL

NCL

Congratulations to you both, great picture and even greater memory

chadly

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 12, 2021, 11:47:12 AM

As far as "Mature" a bird is a jake for one season and the next spring is a mature, you can't judge age by spurs those are by genetics, yes there are a lot of guesses to age or "average" measurements people use to age. And don't even understand the "snood" measuring LOL, never have measured one or even thought about it.

MK M GOBL
interesting on spur length and age.  I guess I always assumed longer equaled older.  When we call in our harvest we have to give the length of the spurs.  I thought this was to judge the age.  Learn something new everyday. 

owlhoot

Quote from: chadly on April 12, 2021, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 12, 2021, 11:47:12 AM

MK M GOBL
interesting on spur length and age.  I guess I always assumed longer equaled older.  When we call in our harvest we have to give the length of the spurs.  I thought this was to judge the age.  Learn something new everyday.
Always thought longer equals older in most cases. But have shot some 25 plus pound big birds with shorter spurs. Spurs can break also.
That bird looks kinda old to me with the dark wing patches, large fan and size. Anyway it is one very nice bird ! A fine trophy. And yes one very happy young lady.

bear hunter

3bailey3

very nice congrats to you all! Great pics and very mature bird!!