OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stop complaining. Killers gonna kill

Started by JohnSouth22, April 11, 2021, 01:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crghss

You have 9 posts and this what you throw out there?

You don't like constant complaining but what you do? Complain.

Maybe you can find another site to visit with less complaining.....just a thought.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Kylongspur88

It's been my experience that people who see themselves as "killers" are usually anything but; and those that actually do kill birds on a regular basis know it's about so much more than just that.

Greg Massey

Regardless how you hunt, age, health and other conditions may mandated how you hunt. So as a older hunter, i think some of use have paid our due's. Hunt the way you feel best let's you enjoy the sport of turkey hunting. I remember the days of maybe hearing 2 gobblers in the spring.  Just because you feel this is the only way to hunt these birds and your missing out on how to hunt these birds without any aid's is your own opinion, just like others have opinions. It's awesome some morning just seeing that sunrise and hearing a gobbler sound off in the distance regardless if you kill it or not. Hearing a gobbler is better than not hearing one any day. I spend all year working the land for turkeys and playing my calls pretty much all year long.  IMO... good luck this spring. I said i wasn't going to post..omg..

ManfromGreenSwamp

I like turtles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

JohnSouth22

Great points Paulmyr! I myself don't use decoys but did in my younger years like you. I was really using that point to push the hunt how you want to hunt but don't complain about how others do. Which seems to be a lot of recently.

Howie g

Most of the " true killers " i know don't feel the need to explain there selves . 

KentuckyHeadhunter

Another newbie expert.  This is why I avoid OG during season.  I check it for messages and I see this crap. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Vintage

Sounds like the OP was doing a lot of complaining himself.

tha bugman

Kill or no kill, I feel blessed everyday I can get up and be in the woods to hear it wake up!

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 11, 2021, 03:41:30 PM
Quote from: JohnSouth22 on April 11, 2021, 01:18:28 PM
Seems the complaining is constant on here. People speaking of the old days when grand pappys spot on the wma where you used to hear 10 birds now only hear one or two. Complaining that the YouTube boys have "ruined" your state. That people can shoot too far and people shouldn't use decoys. That you have to wake up at 3AM to get the gate you want. At the end of the day the killers are still gonna kill and you'll find something  to point your finger at as to why you can't. People want to kill turkeys then won't get up at 3 to be at the gate. It comes down to nut cutting time and there aren't many people that wanna cut nuts no more.

Boy that was a mouthful. Mind you now these are just my opinions. I think grouping hunters together in one category of complainers is a mistake. Some are lazy and have taken hunting turkey's for granted. Most have an its all about me attitude. They started hunting during the boom in turkey populations. To say they were spoiled with a gluttony of wild turkeys is probably an understatement. Grand pappy's favorite spot probably did hold 10 gobblers. For guys my age and older grand pappy was lucky if he was even able to find a gobbler or for that matter be able to legally hunt wild Turkey's. Now when the hunting gets tough most in the spoiled crowd don't what to do so they complain. Some on the other hand see what is happening on a broader scale. They are concerned and see a need for change. They don't want things to be like when their Grand pappy grew up.

Killers gonna kill! I think that statement might have aged you a bit. I think what gets lost in all this is a lot of hunters , and I bet this is mostly separated by age groups, are just out to kill. Most miss out on the greatest part of hunting this fine bird. I know I'll be stepping on toes with this next statement. You don't get this from sitting in a gobbler lounger behind a flock of decoys eating snacks and sleeping until a tom comes running into your spread or by reaping. Effective tactics for sure. Maybe too effective. For some it's probably the only way they can participate. I can't bring myself to understand why an able bodied person would choose to use these tactics more than just a couple times. I don't hunt open areas. My opinions are based on the areas I like to hunt. Grasslands and open country or not on my list of destinations.

I have used decoys in my younger days during a period when I felt the need to validate myself as a turkey hunter. I've lain in wait for a Tom to come running to spread without calling. I felt empty inside compared to gobblers I shot coming to the call. There was no feeling of accomplishment. As I matured as a turkey hunter I knew how I needed to hunt them.

I'm not claiming all hunters need to hunt how I hunt. I feel you're missing something great if you don't. Again my opinion! I think the need for all turkey hunters to step back and see what is happening on the broader scale is definitely in order.
Ga is likely changing their starting date for the next couple years. Sucks for me as a northern boy. The Ga start date will likely coincide with the start date in my home state. Also the start date will be around the time poison oak starts to leaf. I can't for the life of me hunt later in the season in southern states without coming home with a nice rash from that stuff.

Thinking of more than myself I say let's see how it goes.
:D Oh boy. Here we go. Again.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: ManfromGreenSwamp on April 11, 2021, 04:53:00 PM
I like turtles.

Greg Massey

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 11, 2021, 05:26:03 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on April 11, 2021, 03:41:30 PM
Quote from: JohnSouth22 on April 11, 2021, 01:18:28 PM
Seems the complaining is constant on here. People speaking of the old days when grand pappys spot on the wma where you used to hear 10 birds now only hear one or two. Complaining that the YouTube boys have "ruined" your state. That people can shoot too far and people shouldn't use decoys. That you have to wake up at 3AM to get the gate you want. At the end of the day the killers are still gonna kill and you'll find something  to point your finger at as to why you can't. People want to kill turkeys then won't get up at 3 to be at the gate. It comes down to nut cutting time and there aren't many people that wanna cut nuts no more.

Boy that was a mouthful. Mind you now these are just my opinions. I think grouping hunters together in one category of complainers is a mistake. Some are lazy and have taken hunting turkey's for granted. Most have an its all about me attitude. They started hunting during the boom in turkey populations. To say they were spoiled with a gluttony of wild turkeys is probably an understatement. Grand pappy's favorite spot probably did hold 10 gobblers. For guys my age and older grand pappy was lucky if he was even able to find a gobbler or for that matter be able to legally hunt wild Turkey's. Now when the hunting gets tough most in the spoiled crowd don't what to do so they complain. Some on the other hand see what is happening on a broader scale. They are concerned and see a need for change. They don't want things to be like when their Grand pappy grew up.

Killers gonna kill! I think that statement might have aged you a bit. I think what gets lost in all this is a lot of hunters , and I bet this is mostly separated by age groups, are just out to kill. Most miss out on the greatest part of hunting this fine bird. I know I'll be stepping on toes with this next statement. You don't get this from sitting in a gobbler lounger behind a flock of decoys eating snacks and sleeping until a tom comes running into your spread or by reaping. Effective tactics for sure. Maybe too effective. For some it's probably the only way they can participate. I can't bring myself to understand why an able bodied person would choose to use these tactics more than just a couple times. I don't hunt open areas. My opinions are based on the areas I like to hunt. Grasslands and open country or not on my list of destinations.

I have used decoys in my younger days during a period when I felt the need to validate myself as a turkey hunter. I've lain in wait for a Tom to come running to spread without calling. I felt empty inside compared to gobblers I shot coming to the call. There was no feeling of accomplishment. As I matured as a turkey hunter I knew how I needed to hunt them.

I'm not claiming all hunters need to hunt how I hunt. I feel you're missing something great if you don't. Again my opinion! I think the need for all turkey hunters to step back and see what is happening on the broader scale is definitely in order.
Ga is likely changing their starting date for the next couple years. Sucks for me as a northern boy. The Ga start date will likely coincide with the start date in my home state. Also the start date will be around the time poison oak starts to leaf. I can't for the life of me hunt later in the season in southern states without coming home with a nice rash from that stuff.

Thinking of more than myself I say let's see how it goes.
:D Oh boy. Here we go. Again.

I agree, here we go.. omg... and i said i wasn't going to post...

Greg Massey

Some of us older hunters know how to use a bread bag, how about you younger guys .. LOL.. I just had to add this for another aid in killing gobblers..

justin.arps

Quote from: tha bugman on April 11, 2021, 05:21:51 PM
Kill or no kill, I feel blessed everyday I can get up and be in the woods to hear it wake up!
Truth!

TrackeySauresRex

I'm not going to do it OG.... Ya know I want to. I love turtles too. One spring, I called one in once, seriously. Beautiful orange color phase box.  :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."