Opinions please. Facts are of course accepted as well... :popcorn:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Kylongspur88

In the mountains where I hunt I've always found it easier to call a bird up or from the same level. That's not a guarantee just what I've observed to happen more often than not

Paulmyr

I prefer to start on top. I will not hesitate to go down in after them if feel the situation calls for it. Shot a bird this spring took me almost 2hrs to get back to the truck. Those ridges get taller and taller as the years go by.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

ChesterCopperpot

As a starting place, the ridges. Can hear more country. Can walk ridges to different drainages and hear everything. I live in the mountains and have noticed they tend to roost just off and below the ridge most often on the leeward side. That said, wind will push them to the bottoms, rain will some times push them to the bottoms, pressure or food will push them to the bottoms, and sometimes they just want to go to the bottom. In that case, I follow the birds. Last week I was on birds that liked to start high on a creek drainage then work that channel down to the river. They did this every day then worked their way back each evening. Playing them was a matter of recognizing that pattern and getting ahead of them. Lots of birds seem to like to roost high, work low, roost high. Here at the house, a lot of the mountain birds seem to like to roost high, fly low, then work back up the mountain throughout the day to roost high. Striking birds, I'm walking and working a ridgeline. But I'd prefer to have an understanding of their pattern and let that determine where I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I go where the birds go. High for listening. After that they tell me where to be.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

fallhnt

Yes

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 10, 2021, 03:51:26 PM
I go where the birds go. High for listening. After that they tell me where to be.
X2 and i will add depending on the weather conditions. All of this plays a part..

Brad_Colvin

What I have seen in my few years of hunting in the mountains early in the season the birds are lower along the creeks and drainages, these are the first areas to green up and the hens will be down there. As the season progresses and hens become scarce the gobblers will move up running ridges trying to find hens. That said I always try to start high. It's easier to move down to them if needed than try to move up.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

kyturkeyhunter4

I've always found the mountains a lot easier for me. I like to have a good vantage point where I can hear better. I always like to be above the birds or try to get on the same level as them.

Crghss

Ridges, better to hear one below you then try to get in front of it. Rather then hear one above you and try to hump up hill to position yourself.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

3bailey3

for me they always roost up high and fly down low and stay low, i had one coming last year in a bottom, step incline on both sides and i watched him climb a 90 degree bank at 60 yards and get into a top a flat, i climbed back up the hill and killed him on the flat. you never know what they going to do, but i like to stay on top when i can, way better to carry him out on top of the ridge..

Happy

Prefere to start on a ridge or high point. However the game will be played on the ground of his choosing.  Its awful hard to convince them to go somewhere they don't want to go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

lowoctane

:morning:
Time has taught me that if I have questions that require correct answers that I seek out people that can truly answer me with experience in the area that I want answers in. That is why this site is so perfect for any turkey hunter regardless of their experience level. I love reading how my fellow hunters approach this magnificent bird in the field! My mentor always said that if you're not learning something every time that you go hunting, you're wasting your time and this group of people that comprise this site show me their love of hunting and dedication to the wild turkey, the craziest most elusive and most addictive critter that I've ever hunted! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

MK M GOBL

Have always killed more bird on the ridge than in the valley, Where I hunt there is more "land" on top, when I hunt a valley they are a wide one, gives me a different hunt. Around where I hunt valleys a pasture in most cases, there are some that a wide/big enough to farm but access can be limiting, as we move away from the river valley it changes where there is more "land" that is bottoms.

MK M GOBL

Tom007

Love the ridges, I always start on top. I like to be above the birds or on his level. I use the rolling ridges to move on him. My experience with these ridge birds is they prefer to come up hill, rather than downhill. There have been some cases where I called him down, but this is rare.They seem to roost 3/4 the way up n most ridges. I find most of them on the Southern (sunny side) of the ridges. That is where the new spring growth comes up first. Be safe...
"Solo hunter"