OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you rather hear drumming or gobbling?

Started by Marc, April 03, 2021, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Given that the birds are about the same distance, would you rather hear a bird drumming or gobbling?

I feel like a gobbling bird is still searching for that hen, whereas a drumming bird is saying "come here."

I have killed drumming birds, but as soon as I hear them drumming, I know things can get more difficult...  If that same bird sounds off with a gobble, I feel like I can get him...

I would much rather hear a close gobble...    How about you?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Jimspur

I have never looked at it like that. I think I'm gonna kill him either way,
so I guess it doesn't matter to me. It's an interesting question.

Mossberg90MN

Gobbling, I can't really hear drumming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulmyr

I don't interpret drumming the same way. I interpret it as here I am let's have some fun babe.

Gobbleing  can be taken different ways. Here I am are there any babes out there! Or here I am get over hear. Or dude I'm right over hear you best shut your mouth and so on.

Either one is a ok in my book.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

aclawrence

Well if I'm on the public and I get lucky enough to hear one drumming I'll take that over gobbling. Nobody else will hear it and come in on me.  A loud gobble right in your face sure is nice though.

quavers59

Gobbling!
  Hopefully the competition  will have to Splash on through calf deep Wetlands and angle around a army of Indian Heads before they get too close- too quick- lol!

PalmettoRon

Gobbling if they're both close, but man I have to say, once I hear drumming, I'm on full alert because that old boy is close. I can hear drumming a good ways off, but sometimes have trouble pinpointing that sound at first. Hey, both are pretty sweet sounds!

guesswho

Put me down for drumming.   Gobbling can be for a number of reasons, drumming not so much.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

Quote from: guesswho on April 04, 2021, 06:53:37 AM
Put me down for drumming.   Gobbling can be for a number of reasons, drumming not so much.

I am with him on this!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Old Gobbler

When you hear that drumming ....you know he is CLOSE ...freeze up and dont move a inch , untill you figure where he is at (behind...to the side)
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

TonyTurk

Considering how much the bird population has declined in my area, I will be glad to hear either one once the season starts! 

wvmntnhick

Man I'm jealous. I've not been able to hear drumming for years. I've got tinnitus so bad I can't hear a lot of sounds. Can still hear spitting. But drumming... it's been lost on me over the last decade or so. Called 2 right up to within 15 feet of my niece a couple years ago. She mentioned she could hear it. I could not. Couldn't hear much after she shot either. She missed btw. Twice.

Candyman

I love both but if I have to pick one it's definitely drumming.

Tom007

Drumming, your in his circle/comfort zone. He's close and can be taken with the right move. I've closed more deals hearing drumming versus gobbling......... :fud:
"Solo hunter"

yelpy