OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Huntwise vs Huntstand vs OnX

Started by btomlin, April 02, 2021, 09:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

I've never been a GPS app "plot book" guy, but I am thinking of adding a service for Spring.  I think it would be equally valuable for my Fall trapping.

I have never heard of Huntwise or Huntstand but they come up during my research of OnX.

Anyone have any opinions on a preferred service??  OnX appears to be the highest priced option, but I assume you have to cover all of those advertisements so wasn't sure if it was superior to the others.

rakkin6

I just use the free version of huntstand and it does everything I need. You can put sightings, stand sights, kill locations, tasks to be completed, measure distance etc. on it. I see no need for anything else. Plus if you have service where you hunt it will guide you to a certain plotted location. If I don't have service no biggie I will plot a point on my topo map shoot an azimuth and distance and go in I know what my pace count is for my 100 meters so no biggie. Try the free one first and see if it suits your needs before you pay for one.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Jmbradt3873

I use Hunt stand, and since I hunt a lot of public land in Florida I use their maps on Avenza. I started with the free version of Hunt stand but have bought the pro version now. I have not used On X yet but it is a bit more than Hunt stand. I have heard a lot of good review about On X though, may give it a try for next year.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Ahollon3

i personally prefer huntstand over onx. works great and map is more clear

USMC0331

I like huntstand however I could not get it to load in the rolling hills I hunt  Base map and on x have been the only 2 that will load .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

FLGobstopper

I have both OnX and Hunstand. Use OnX more for turkeys and I like the quick save feature for marking waypoints and the little compass arrow thing I can point and mark when I hear one gobbling to figure out pretty accurately where he is. Huntstand also seems to drain my phone battery faster than OnX. Archery for deer though I tend to use Huntstand more marking trails, scrapes, rubs, food sources, etc. I do like the multiple map layers for Huntstand. OnX only has 3 with Topo, Hybrid and Satellite. Usually that's plenty sufficient but sometimes you see something on one of those other Hunstand maps that can be very helpful in unfamiliar terrain. Either will certainly work, wish I could combine some of the features into one.

btomlin

Do they all give accurate property borders and landowner info?

Can you download area maps so you don't have to be online to use them?

FL-Boss

Yes and Yes. I have used OnX for a long time... but maybe changing to Huntstand. The resolution is better...

Crotalus

My biggest gripe with HuntStand back when i tried it was the lack of ability to export waypoints.

Maybe that has changed now but i had a bunch of points from a couple out-of-state whitetail hunts and had to manually re-enter them into my Garmin.  Transferring between Onx and Garmin took a couple steps but was easily doable.

I also really like the "offline" feature of OnX, can download the areas I hunt and keep phone on airplane mode while in the woods.  not sure if the other two do that or not.

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Dtrkyman

GAIA is another option, I tried it free, it was missing some layers onx has so I renewed onx.

I think between turkey and deer I hunted 8 states last year, one state in particular for turkeys a certain layer was worth the 100 bux for the year alone, found a bunch of huntable land that is not posted, game changer, GAIA did not have that layer.

paboxcall

My experience:

OnX mapping tools and offline maps way are way better than Huntstand.

Hunstand's multiple map layers are somewhat better than OnX's three. 

Biggest disappointment is both app's satellite imagery for some states was captured during the summer months with the full out leaf canopy. An unforced error on their part because border states will have winter satellite imagery where not only see the ground, you can see blow downs, creek seepages, remnants of old logging trails and skidder paths, etc.

If I hunted the same 350 acres wouldn't care, wouldn't even need the apps. But hunting big tracts of public ground out of state those states with late fall / winter satellite imagery is way better for recon - that leaf canopy covers almost every detail.

OnX has stated they are upgrading their satellite maps, and when they do I'll cancel Huntstand. Not enough on Huntstand you can't do with OnX or other smartphone apps to justify keeping both. In the end it how easy those OnX mapping tools are that tips it in. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Jrkimbrough

Onx for the offline maps mainly!

Great option for poor cell service and to conserve battery life when you put in airplane mode.

Jimspur

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 02, 2021, 12:10:16 PM
GAIA is another option, I tried it free, it was missing some layers onx has so I renewed onx.

I think between turkey and deer I hunted 8 states last year, one state in particular for turkeys a certain layer was worth the 100 bux for the year alone, found a bunch of huntable land that is not posted, game changer, GAIA did not have that layer.

I use Gaia GPS. You can't compare free Gaia GPS to $100 OnX.
The $39.99/yr GAIA GPS has more maps than OnX.

Turkeyman

Well I use Gaia. Now...it doesn't have all the "fancy" features and waypoint symbols of some of the others. BUT...IMO, one of the primary features...if not the most important feature...of a GPS is that it gives you a "GoTo" (as my now unused Garmin GPS) or a "Guide me" (as my current Gaia GPS app). Without this feature it's no more than a POS. But maybe that's just me.