OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Attention Hunters

Started by saltysenior, April 01, 2021, 05:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltysenior

On the 35th anniversary of my favorite decoy , Mary , getting her head blown off in S.C. , I thought I would post my thoughts...

There are many people hiding in the bushes making noise like a turkey....They are waiting to see or hear an approaching turkey...They have big guns and want very much to shoot a turkey.

There are also many people walking around making noise like a turkey...They are hoping to hear or sneak up on a turkey...They also have guns and they too want to shoot a turkey.

This is not a safe situation.
          MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOOKING AT A LIVE, BEARDED TURKEY BEFORE YOU SHOOT !!

ManfromGreenSwamp

Amen!

RIP Mary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Howie g

All the more reason to completely do away with decoys !!!!
Yes ,  I'm that guy

captfire

IF U CAN'T TELL A REAL ONE FROM A DECOY U DON;T NEED TO BE IN THE WOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: saltysenior on April 01, 2021, 05:16:07 PM
  On the 35th anniversary of my favorite decoy , Mary , getting her head blown off in S.C. , I thought I would post my thoughts...

There are many people hiding in the bushes making noise like a turkey....They are waiting to see or hear an approaching turkey...They have big guns and want very much to shoot a turkey.

There are also many people walking around making noise like a turkey...They are hoping to hear or sneak up on a turkey...They also have guns and they too want to shoot a turkey.

I'm glad you're okay. Trigger-happy, bush-shooting jacklegs are a dangerous, dangerous thing.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 01, 2021, 07:55:35 PM
Quote from: saltysenior on April 01, 2021, 05:16:07 PM

I'm glad you're okay. Trigger-happy, bush-shooting jacklegs are a dangerous, dangerous thing.

Not to mention a lot of people are using TSS. What a horror to get hit with a load of TSS.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Greg Massey

Quote from: captfire on April 01, 2021, 07:55:05 PM
IF U CAN'T TELL A REAL ONE FROM A DECOY U DON;T NEED TO BE IN THE WOODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X2

Wigsplitter

I would not want to see a tss 9 victim...... be careful out there and identify your target!!!

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Howie g on April 01, 2021, 07:34:11 PM
Yes ,  I'm that guy

Quote from: Wigsplitter on April 01, 2021, 09:56:31 PM
I would not want to see a tss 9 victim...... be careful out there and identify your target!!!

Quote from: captfire on April 01, 2021, 07:55:05 PM

There will be bad mistakes with shells that shoot long ranges. The first thing you learn, know your target and beyond. Hunters in full camo head to toe and un experienced hunter shooting at a bird 60 yards away is scary stuff. Know where you are at all times. Situational awareness!
Have a safe spring All.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

rakkin6

I pretty much only hunt public land. When ever I am walking I wear an orange hat. And I keep it in the back of my vest whenever I am setup in case I see an Elmer coming so I can grab it and wave it at him. In my opinion it is worth it from a safety perspective. Takes me about 3 seconds to take it off my head and put it in my vest.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Dtrkyman

I used to have a vest with orange patches that pulled out and would walk around with those out, particularly while carrying a bird.

Problem is I don't think the typical turkey hunting accident happens while one is walking.  Even crazier is the fact that many accidents are experienced hunters.

I had a chat with an old timer once, after coming up on his jake decoy in the rain, I stood there ten minutes yelling trying to find the guy, turns out he was in his truck hiding from the rain, he invited me in and said at least you didn't shoot my decoy, why he was still using a jake after it had already been shot a few years prior was crazy!

rakkin6

Quote from: Dtrkyman on April 02, 2021, 10:23:32 AM
I used to have a vest with orange patches that pulled out and would walk around with those out, particularly while carrying a bird.

Problem is I don't think the typical turkey hunting accident happens while one is walking.  Even crazier is the fact that many accidents are experienced hunters.

I had a chat with an old timer once, after coming up on his jake decoy in the rain, I stood there ten minutes yelling trying to find the guy, turns out he was in his truck hiding from the rain, he invited me in and said at least you didn't shoot my decoy, why he was still using a jake after it had already been shot a few years prior was crazy!
I agree man, I really don't use decoys in any wooded areas most of the time with the vegetation here he would be in range coming to my call with or without a decoy. Pretty much only use them in large fields. So unless someone is low crawling through the field to my decoy I hope I am alright.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

CAPTJJ

Yes ,  I'm that guy
All the more reason to do away with shotguns, archery only is safer.

the Ward

I guess i would rather have them focus on a decoy, and shoot it, rather than focus on the sound, and shoot me.

Howie g

:hb2:
Quote from: CAPTJJ on April 02, 2021, 10:37:09 AM
Yes ,  I'm that guy
All the more reason to do away with shotguns, archery only is safer.
I get asked all the time why I don't bowhunt turkey?because  I'm a die hard archery only guy for deer
Archery only for 25 years + .  I killed two gobblers years back with a bow , but I found I needed decoys to be successful and use some type of blind .  This type hunting is just not my style . I like to be mobile and Yelp them to the gun with out visual aids .  With that said , kudus for getting it done with archery , especially trad equipment.