turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best PA Dates

Started by chow hound, March 31, 2021, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy6471

As a lifetime resident and long time turkey hunter from Northeast Pa., I agree with the others that 1st week is usually your best bet. The fact that in the early season the gobblers haven't been harassed as much and that there should be some subordinate gobblers running around, there is just a much greater chance for success early.

With that being said, for many years I've been fortunate to be able to hunt almost everyday of the Pa season, either for myself or calling for someone else. Based on what I normally see, if I wasn't hunting the 1st week then my next choice would be the last week. Just understand that hunting the last week is often very different. Aside from the birds potentially having been harassed/hunted, the weather is very different, foliage is heavy and you can hunt all day vs only being able to hunt until noon during the first 2 weeks. Which is nice, especially as a traveling turkey hunter. Whatever you decide it sounds like you will be spending more time chasing turkeys this spring....enjoy and good luck!

paboxcall

Quote from: a_jabbo on March 31, 2021, 11:50:13 PM
The first two weeks are usually pretty solid, but that 3rd weekend of the season has produced time and time again for me.

In the mountains of PA, this has been my experience too. If I could pick one week for high mountains ridges, that's the one.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

jmart241

I like the first week also had great luck on the 3rd saturday to Goodluck

HILBY72

Last year I hunted 20 days in Pa, and the best 3 days were in the last week with my buddy killing a bird the last day. I guess it all depends on the area

TauntoHawk

If I was coming from out of state knowing there's no sunday hunting and trying to maximize my days here id consider the first few days of all day hunting. Killed both my pa birds last year second half the season, second half the day.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

joey46

Forgot about the no Sunday hunting.  Not many states still in that category.  Oh well.  Thanks for the info being posted by the PA guys.  Not many are that willing to share. 

albrubacker

This is what I am planning this year.
Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 02, 2021, 07:49:51 AM
If I was coming from out of state knowing there's no sunday hunting and trying to maximize my days here id consider the first few days of all day hunting. Killed both my pa birds last year second half the season, second half the day.

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Turkeyman

When I finally get to PA because of hunting elsewhere it's generally the last two weeks of their season. I've never had a problem finding birds on public ground...and that's all I hunt. Over time a few things manifest themselves: 1) jakes are done gobbling because their nuts have dried up, 2) less gobbling...partially due to #1, 3) fewer hunters...thus no interference, 4) if you hear gobbling chances are it's a good bird....again back to #1. I've never not gotten my PA bird(s) going back to 1976.

chow hound

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I am going to give the last week a try.

Number17

Quote from: Sully53 on April 01, 2021, 08:30:07 AM
I hunt Sullivan Co.,(Laporte) will be there the 1st week of season!

I have a cabin up in Laporte. I didn't think turkeys lived up there anymore. 15 years ago we drive all over that State Forest and hear birds gobbling at every stop.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 01, 2021, 01:06:57 PM
Here is northern PA this morning so there's still plenty of spring to happen. It does warm up fast in May

Very pretty, much like my area of NY
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 03, 2021, 03:59:13 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 01, 2021, 01:06:57 PM
Here is northern PA this morning so there's still plenty of spring to happen. It does warm up fast in May

Very pretty, much like my area of NY
The 3rd ridge in that pic would be NY very close to the state line so it's probably not too far from you.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Crghss

Always liked second week. Googans are gone. But it usually depends on weather more then which week.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Snoodsniper

I'm in Bradford county a stones throw away from where you're heading. They've been strutting and gobbling like a mfer for two weeks already. I'm gonna say the sooner you can get here the better. It was quite a warm March really even though it's cooled off some this week it's gonna warm right back up. I'd guess the last two weeks of the season (my favorite part) will be slow.