OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best PA Dates

Started by chow hound, March 31, 2021, 05:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chow hound

Going to be hunting at my brother's cabin this year in north centeral PA (Sullivan County).  Wanted to get opinions about best week to hunt.  Last week of the season is probably best for my schedule, but am wondering if it is really too late?

Yoder409

Too late ??   No.

Best time ??   Not likely.

I'd say sometime in the first two weeks.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

falltoms

Depends on the area and season, some years the late season isnt good, some years the late is great. I've seen both

Tom007

The latter season in the Northeast can be rewarding. The woods is thicker, the gobblers will come further to a call with less apprehension. They have tendencies to stay on the roost a bit longer. Most hens are bred, the Old Tom's might be looking for some last minute action. You will see some molting on the upper wings and breast on some late season birds. All in all, you may find it rewarding...good luck whatever week you choose...
"Solo hunter"

zsully

I agree with Yoder. The first two weeks are usually the best for me. The third is difficult and the 4th is down right frustrating in my experience. That's not to say that birds cannot be had in that last week. I'm just usually burnt out by then and tend to hit the snooze button too many times.

a_jabbo

The first two weeks are usually pretty solid, but that 3rd weekend of the season has produced time and time again for me.

the Ward

Picking a week to hunt a month or two out is always a roll of the dice, especially in the spring, with weather.

joey46

Wife has cousins in Wayne County near Gouldsboro (Poconos).  Bing Map shows plenty of State Game Lands nearby.  Cousin only hunts deer.  I've often considered a late May hunt there.  Opinions??  I don't recall if PA did a non-resident shut down last year or what's going on this year.  I'm always looking :drool: :turkey2:

MK M GOBL

Can't say for PA but some of my best birds are killed late season, I hunt to last day. Those dominant bird have lost their hens to nesting and are looking for the last few remaining hens (you).

MK M GOBL

yelpy

Some years the last week is better than the first. If I haven't pulled the trigger the first week it usually happens on the last couple of days. I don't recall ever shooting a bird in PA mid season. First and last week's have been the best times for me. 

Sully53

I hunt Sullivan Co.,(Laporte) will be there the 1st week of season!

TauntoHawk

Most years I'd say second week of the season, in the northern part of the state you can get some pretty chilly temps first week, and on public that's obviously going to be the most pressured week as well. Last year was cold all season and the hunting was down right terrible the first 3 weeks and drastically improved the final 10 days or so but that's more uncommon and this year seems to be warming closer to average.

I will hunt pa on Saturday and NY on Sunday the first two weekends and plan my longer camping trip and hunt just before the 3rd weekend of the season in PA.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

quavers59

I Spring Turkey Hunted in PA for 20 years. The first 2 Weeks is always the best time to go.
   That 4th week in either PA,NY, NJ, I  am just Worn down. I try like Hell to get my big ol Birds by the end of the 3rd week

TauntoHawk

Here is northern PA this morning so there's still plenty of spring to happen. It does warm up fast in May

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mountainburd

First two week. But I've killed the last week, and have had them gobble their tail off the weekend of Memorial Day.