OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turtle Skins and other recommendations

Started by twyatt, March 30, 2021, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_Colvin

Quote from: twyatt on March 31, 2021, 08:08:28 AM
Are the OR croc gaiters snakeproof?
I just looked them up and they don't appear to be. At least they aren't advertised to be.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

perrytrails

Travis I had the regular size and sent them back. I noticed the digging of the zipper until I got the husky size. More room at the top. And I do have 20 in calves so that was the main reason I went bigger.

At first I didn't have to pull them tight at the top but as they broke in I now snug them up a little. I'm 5'7 so I roll them down a bit too. Small zip tie in middle hole to my laces to hold them down. Leave it loose so you can cut it off after hunting. I'd leave it there but so much easier zipping in the front then spin them around.

Really comfortable, I absolutely hate rubber boots. With 20 inch calves it's hard to find a pair that fit. Let alone the weight and bulk.

deadbuck

I have been running Turtle Skins for 2 years now and just bought my son a pair last week. We wear Lacrosse Grange rubber boots and have never had a problem with feeling the zipper or them riding up. My only complaint is that it is sometimes difficult to get the zipper to start sliding when you start to zip them. Just wish they would make in Camo patterns. I will never buy another snake boot!!!!

FL-Boss

So besides Turtle Skin or Scentblocker - who else make a "flexible"  lead gaiter?

rstewart8706

Quote from: Hwd silvestris on March 30, 2021, 02:59:32 PM
I'll try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have these exact gaiters.  No complaints, other than they get warm.  I sure hope they work should I ever get bit!

twyatt

I messed with them some more today and might give them a try.  If I fold them down about an inch or two, then the zipper doesn't bother me.  Too bad they don't make camo.
  This all just seems silly to me for an almost $200 dollar pair of gaiters.  Fold them down, get a husky size, bungee this, paracord that, zip ties, or they ride up.   I expect to modify stuff sometimes to get it to work, and would understand if this was a $50 pair of gaiters, not $180.  I can't figure out how the zipper isn't bothering some folks on here. 

Is there another brand of gaiters that anyone's using that they're happy with?  I don't mind a pair that's a little warm, I just need to ditch my rubber snake boots and find something comfortable.

J-Shaped

As others have stated, they will soften up with use and either using the grommet holes for lacing into your boots or simply running a small bungee through the bottom will hold them in place. I think what it boils down to is if you want a comfortable gaiter for keeping you dry, there are other options, but if you want snake protection, they are, IMO, the best lightweight and comfortable option out there, and I've tried about everything.

If you want to break them in quick and possibly not deal with the zipper concern, put them over a pair of rubber knee boots and put them through the paces of a few days of hunting. I did this hunting in wet weather the first year I got mine and as soon as I put them on with my hikers I like to wear, I didn't even notice I was wearing them.

Also, unless they've changed, they did offer them in camo, though the khaki or dark green are basically invisible.

twyatt

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm going to give them a whirl.  I don't see a better lightweight option for snake protection.   Guess I just expected a little better for the price, but it is what it is. 
I saw in another thread that someone cut a little slit in them and cut the elastic by the ankle, which kept them from riding up without having to use a bungee or zip tie.  Has anyone else tried that?

aclawrence

Quote from: twyatt on March 31, 2021, 08:08:28 AM
Are the OR croc gaiters snakeproof?
No they're just a normal hiking gaiter.  I agree it's a little frustrating. With that being said it's the best snake proof system I have found. Also if your wife or someone else goes you can jet then have the snake protection since our eyes are going to better at spitting a snake anyway. Also if your boots get soaked grab another pair of boots out the gaiters back on and your good to go again. It just seems a lot better than snake boots to me.

Big Jeremy

I have these crackshot gaiters. Not near as pricey as other options, and I have been pleased with them. I wear snake boots about half the time, and these the rest. When my daughter or wife is with me, I wear my snake boots and put these on them...they are a bit big on my daughter, but she manages. Worth it "just in case."

https://www.amazon.com/Crackshot-Snake-Guardz-Socks-Large/dp/B01F0JPL04/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=snake+proof+gaiters&qid=1617224018&sr=8-5

twyatt

I looked at those Crackshot for a long time.  May order those too just to see which ones I like better.

Hwd silvestris

I have had the turtle skin deals and about every other kind of snake gaiters/chaps from being in timber business.   The scent blockers are the real deal for a turkey hunter.  They fairly soft and adjustable.  I ordered mine in regular size (not husky)cuz I don't like them being lose on my legs. They also have a stirrup so they don't ride up.  All chaps are going to be hot. No way around it.

Besides the turkeys down here in the south (southeastern eastern subspecies) can smell.  Not sure bout the birds up north.

https://www.blockeroutdoors.com/snake-gaiters

Footballer

Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 31, 2021, 04:55:47 PM
I have these crackshot gaiters. Not near as pricey as other options, and I have been pleased with them. I wear snake boots about half the time, and these the rest. When my daughter or wife is with me, I wear my snake boots and put these on them...they are a bit big on my daughter, but she manages. Worth it "just in case."

https://www.amazon.com/Crackshot-Snake-Guardz-Socks-Large/dp/B01F0JPL04/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=snake+proof+gaiters&qid=1617224018&sr=8-5
I wore these all last season and was pleased with them. The buckles can be annoying but a major improvement over snake boots.

bobk

Quote from: twyatt on March 31, 2021, 04:42:48 PM

I saw in another thread that someone cut a little slit in them and cut the elastic by the ankle, which kept them from riding up without having to use a bungee or zip tie.  Has anyone else tried that?
[/quote

My son has wore Turtle Skin chap for nearly 10 years. He cut the elastic bands at the ankles. This stops them from riding up.  His are reversible camo/ khaki.

Howie g

I have a pair of crack shots , worn them a good bit the last 2 years . They have held up well so far , there a little warm on hot days , but I'll trade that for confidence and safety against these " waterheadedrattlemocaccians "