OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

would you use this tool?

Started by turkaholic, February 13, 2011, 11:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maustypsu

No.  I can get close to gobblers but can't imagine I'd get any directional info out of one of these.  So I don't think I'd get much out of this.

R AJ

Quote from: turkaholic on February 13, 2011, 11:43:20 AM
Being thats its February and I am a Turkaholic I've got to thinking about this idea. I don't know for sure if its available already. A unit like a trail cam used for deer hunting but designed for audio recording. Speaking for myself and my style of hunting, it would seem that if I could put a few more sets of ears out at first light I would learn where more birds are located. Many times first light is all you get, and soon all gets silent. That being said if your first light spot doesn't pan out,you can check what went down in your other favorite spots. I know not everyone has the land available to roam around like that but in N.Y. where I do most of my hunting we have thousands of bird holding acres to roam. Many times I start my morning at a vantage point where I can listen over miles of ridges. Often I will here a gobble a mile or so away and try to drive to where I think he is, it has worked in the past quite well. Unfortunately you can't freeze first light. I have looked around on line to see whats out there,  bird sound recording devices with timers are available and they seem perfect but cost way to much. This is kind of crazy but it is February.

R AJ

How would you know what direction the sound came from or would you care? I'd rather have a few Google Earth maps and make compass readings and go a few ridges over each morning than have the "recorder". My .02