OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

would you use this tool?

Started by turkaholic, February 13, 2011, 11:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkaholic

Being thats its February and I am a Turkaholic I've got to thinking about this idea. I don't know for sure if its available already. A unit like a trail cam used for deer hunting but designed for audio recording. Speaking for myself and my style of hunting, it would seem that if I could put a few more sets of ears out at first light I would learn where more birds are located. Many times first light is all you get, and soon all gets silent. That being said if your first light spot doesn't pan out,you can check what went down in your other favorite spots. I know not everyone has the land available to roam around like that but in N.Y. where I do most of my hunting we have thousands of bird holding acres to roam. Many times I start my morning at a vantage point where I can listen over miles of ridges. Often I will here a gobble a mile or so away and try to drive to where I think he is, it has worked in the past quite well. Unfortunately you can't freeze first light. I have looked around on line to see whats out there,  bird sound recording devices with timers are available and they seem perfect but cost way to much. This is kind of crazy but it is February.
live to hunt hunt to live

nstrut

TANK

It depends on the quality of the recorded sound and the price tag. I possibly would by one. As long as Wild Game Innovations didn't make the product that is........... ;)

barry

Quote from: TANK on February 13, 2011, 11:48:47 AM
It depends on the quality of the recorded sound and the price tag. I possibly would by one. As long as Wild Game Innovations didn't make the product that is........... ;)

Come on TANK...the Busbice boys need another plane!!!

chrisun

agreed!!  :you_rock:
John 3:16
Guns have 2 enemies.....rust and politicians.

longspur

sound activated recorders don't cost much at radio shack. might work??? can't take any water though.

redarrow

Make it camo and market it for turkey hunters and you can sell them crazy dogs anything.  ;D

yellowacorns

that would beat the Squealing hen, I guess?

hobbes

No.  Trail cameras really don't do anything for me either.

TnHunter

If you roost the bird the night before ,you will know where to find him in the morning.
Life is good today

hookedspur

Quote from: redarrow on February 13, 2011, 01:23:34 PM
Make it camo and market it for turkey hunters and you can sell them crazy dogs anything.  ;D
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

PANYHunter

I don't think I would have a need for something like this.  My thinking is that if you know the general area birds are in you wouldn't need it anyway.  Seems like you would need a pretty sensitive microphone as well unless the birds are right on top of it.    Good idea just not for me.  

HOOK KILLER

Yes i would use it.  They should also come with something like a telephone # so you could call all the cameras you had and listen to it from your cell phone live :TooFunny:

HOOK KILLER

what happend to all my stars by the way.......I am a newbie again :character0029:

njdevilsb

Agreed.  Their show is one thing, but we spent money on 2 of their cameras last year and took them both back because all they took was white pictures. 

I can see where this could be a good idea, I just don't think it would be something I would utilize.  I have about 250 acres for turkey hunting, hardwoods and farm fields.  It's usually not too hard to find where they are the night before.