OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alice Texas pm

Started by RiverRoost, March 24, 2021, 07:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Got an opportunity to go hunt some private land right outside of Alice Texas. Anybody that is from around there or knows anything about the area please pm me.

Txag12

I'm not that far south, most of the stuff I hunt is central texas (hill country) then up along the brazos/colorado rivers up to the northwest part of the state. But I do know that part of the state has a lot of birds on properties with suitable habitat. The limiting factor that far south is quality roosting habitat and water, as those commodities can be few and far between. That said, if it's a managed property for hunting, they probably have the water situation worked out for their deer herd.

RiverRoost

Looks like there is one creek running through it and possibly a pond. The cover based off the satellite map on onx looks pretty dense with some scattered open spots. Will be my first time hunting there so I've never cyber-scouted that terrain

Txag12

It will be mostly mesquite in the part of the world. They will cover some range, so if on a smaller property don't be surprised if even birds not roosted on it they will be through the property at some point of the day. We see them roost on telephone/power poles in areas where I hunt that have minimal trees. Pretty odd if you've never seen it before lol. When are you heading down there to hunt?

RiverRoost

If it rains and shuts down work for a few days probably leave tomorrow mid day. The property is right at 500 acres with looks like a ton of roads going everywhere throughout it.

Txag12

Should be getting just right. Southern zone always seems best around end of March to first week or two of April. I was about 175 miles NNW of there this past weekend in Kerr County and birds were still grouped up decent, but was able to find a tom with a few hens that wanted to play later on Sunday.

Good luck if you make it down. See if there are any stock tanks on the property, a lot of the time your bigger trees will be situated near the dam/berm of one. The creek is pretty sure fire as well, especially if it is not dry. Those ranch roads will be a good indicator to see what birds are in the area. Goes without saying, but a lot of deer feeders in the part of the state, so worth checking around them for sign as an indicator what is around.

Bring snake boots! They will be out moving with the warm up we've had recently. Be ready for wind as well

RiverRoost

Thanks for all your help! Looks like it's exactly what you are describing.

turkeygod4

We sometimes hunt a place in Freer. Birds will roost in bigger trees (oaks or mesquites) located along creeks. These birds can a will travel a lot (7-10) miles in a day. It's really dry down south so water will be key. Birds were fairly quite on the ground last week but gobbling got better each morning we hunted last week. We shot our birds between 11 and 130. They gobbled more in the afternoon than in the morning. Timing should be good. These birds usually get hot around the end of March. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jmloch

I used to run trains through Alice, some coworkers that lived between there and Laredo said that they had lots of turkeys, and they never hunted them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk