OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Which State Do You Think Has The Most Residents That Have 100+ Turkeys Killed?

Started by quavers59, March 23, 2021, 11:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

This Thread Can include Fall Turkeys as well. So which State do you think has the most Residents experts with 100+ Kills to their credit.
    I am thinking a South Eastern State. Since,I  have both of Gene Nunnery's and Otha Barhams book and had + sold Jack Dudley's  book, I  am thinking Mississippi as, I  now know that States Turkey History.
  Really no way to gauge this though and perhaps it is " neck + neck with Alabama,Georgia,Mississippi,+ Arkansas .
   What do you all think?

guesswho

I'd say a state like Alabama with a liberal bag limit.   But I don't think 100 kills necessarily qualifies anyone as an expert.   I know a couple people with 100 plus kills that couldn't kill one on pressured land in a years time.   And I know people with less than 50 that has far more skills than those with 100 plus.   And if you include fall I'd have to think Michigan has some high number guys.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Mountainburd

As long as I'be been a member on here, I am astounded at the kill numbers for some of you guys, at least those that are willing to share it. I grew up hunting Pa where it was a 1 and done for the season. I would say anywhere in the Northeast, hunters, unless heavily travelled, will not have the kill numbers of some of you Southern guys.

I would say Alabama, Mississippi or maybe Georgia guys would have the highest numbers on average in the country, especially if they jump to neighboring states.

quavers59

Well put- guesswho. I myself have never taken a Private Turkey. All 100+ were taken on Crowded Lands in PA,N.J. + N.Y.
   I am sure that plenty of Hunters living close to the Alabama/ Mississippi  Border take their 8 Birds a year.

TonyTurk

I'm guessing Texas.  Lots of hunters, lots of turkeys, liberal bag limits, and it's legal to sit on a corn feeder and "hunt" them.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Mountainburd on March 23, 2021, 01:37:06 PM
. I grew up hunting Pa where it was a 1 and done for the season. I would say anywhere in the Northeast, hunters, unless heavily travelled, will not have the kill numbers of some of you Southern guys.

I would say Alabama, Mississippi or maybe Georgia guys would have the highest numbers on average in the country, especially if they jump to neighboring states.

Exactly.  It's a lot easier to get to 100 or more when you have the opportunity to kill three, four, or five (and perhaps many more a year if you state-hop) than it is when you can only kill one or two.  Counting total bird numbers a guy has killed is mostly more a matter of opportunity than skill in many cases, I suspect. 

Then again, I'm not sure where those of us that have had little opportunity and little skill and still made it past 100 come in to play.  I suppose old age has something to do with it.   :D ;D :angel9:

Sixes

saltysenior

I've killed 2,538...........................................see, wasn't that easy?

Howie g

Mississippi,, most of us can't read hunting regulations to see what the limits are ????

Yelper

Quote from: quavers59 on March 23, 2021, 01:57:09 PM
   Well put- guesswho. I myself have never taken a Private Turkey. All 100+ were taken on Crowded Lands in PA,N.J. + N.Y.
   I am sure that plenty of Hunters living close to the Alabama/ Mississippi  Border take their 8 Birds a year.

Quote from: quavers59 on March 23, 2021, 11:14:37 AM
  This Thread Can include Fall Turkeys as well. So which State do you think has the most Residents experts with 100+ Kills to their credit.

Which Members have taken over 100+ Turkey's

Really do you think people want to come on here and boast about how many turkey's they have killed ,so they can claim to be a Resident expert on turkey hunting ???

As Joe would say "Come on Man"

While I have had the opportunity to hunt many states while serving in the military for over 20 years (Alabama, Tenn, Virginia, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Michigan & Texas) and have been able to harvest plenty of Turkey's. Because I didn't harvest them in one state, I think that I am disqualified from being a "resident expert", and the fact that I hunted mostly private lands, some public land also may disqualify me.

Wvdanimal

I know tales of guys who could probably come close in Texas just shooting them for fun over feeders while deer hunting. Doesn't make them bad guys, they just don't care to play the serious turkey hunter game. I asked a guy how much skill that involved with his deer rifle. He simply stated, "when you pull the trigger on your shotgun at 50yds you have a couple hundred bullets going to the bird at one time.  When I pull the trigger,  i have one bullet for a tennis ball size target at 3-400 yards, you tell me DUMMY!"

Dtrkyman

Arkansas and Alabama, I know of a coupe guys from each state that ignore any laws and limits regarding game and fish!

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

eggshell

An old timer once told me, "if your still counting you ain't killed enough". I was a young cocky guy then, now I'm an old guy and I understand what he was saying. I would be hard pressed to tell you within 10 of how many I've killed, unless I get out the photo album and count, even it's missing a few. Some have asked me and I gave a number but it was a guess. I ain't killed as many as a lot of guys, but more than some. I know this, I plan to kill as many as I buy tags for this year.

Greg Massey

In my opinion a pass kill is a dead turkey, it's the next one I'm trying to kill, that i have his number. Us old times will tell you numbers has nothing to do with, we don't count them we just hunt to kill gobblers.