OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How young can you start them?

Started by RiverRoost, March 23, 2021, 09:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I was six and on the trigger, and look how I turned out.  Ok, bad example.  But I knew exactly that when I pulled the trigger that somethings life was going to be over, at least in theory.   But I had been around all aspects of hunting from day one.   The killing, cleaning and eating.   I was exposed to the cleaning and eating before the killing.   If your old enough to kill an animal then I think you should be old enough to run your arms up into a deer or hogs chest cavity and pull it's heart and lungs out.   I know it sounds harsh, but if your not ready for that then I don't think your ready to be on the trigger.    Agree, every child is different.  Some are ready young and some are never ready.   Nothing wrong either way.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 23, 2021, 09:50:43 AM
Are you talking about going along on a hunt,....or actually being the hunter? 

If you are talking about just going along, then if they have the interest and physical capabilities, they can go at any age. 

If you are talking about them actually hunting, I personally believe that any child less than ten years old that is hunting should first and foremost, be able to demonstrate (to an unbiased source) that they are capable of handling and accurately shooting a firearm.

Secondly, they should be required to take, comprehend, and pass a hunter safety course. 

Under those two parameters, I personally believe it is a rare kid that can fulfill both of those, and also have the maturity to understand the implications of killing an animal, before they are about eight years old,...and often times, much older.
X 2 .. agree ...

huntineveryday

It sounds like I might be in the minority here, but my oldest shot his first turkey when he was 6. He shot another when he was 7, and he filled 3 tags last year at 8. He has taken 5 shots to harvest those 5 birds. He has been hunting with me since he was 3 for doves, turkeys, ducks, and coyotes. He has so been outside as soon as I get home hunting helping clean and prepare everything from quail to deer over the years.

The first year he asked about shooting one on his own we reviewed gun safety, practiced shooting a 20 guage from a seated position with shooting sticks (same as he would be shooting from the blind, and we looked at a lot of photos and videos of turkeys so he could tell me where he would aim. He did great in all those areas, so I got him a permit and we hunted. My daughter was 6 last year and voiced a little interest,  but wasn't ready yet. If she's interested this year we'll go through the same steps to see if she's ready or not.

I think it all comes down to the kid. They need to be able to safely handle the firearm in the same situation they will be hunting, to be able to shoot well enough to make a clean kill, and to be able to understand the implications of killing an animal. If they demonstrate all of those, then they're ready to hunt. If not, they aren't, regardless of age.

bushwhacker

This was a hard one for me. I started my son at 7. He has taken three turkeys but it has been a real challenge. He's now 12 and just now capable of holding a gun without sticks, moving on a turkey at instruction, and really putting all the pieces together. Turkeys are a lot more challenging than deer and outside of blinds and decoys it gets even tougher. But, as young as you are comfortable taking them is my theory.

Howie g

IMO , it depends on the kid and what age they start showing interest " not pushed " to go .
My son is 7 , he started showing interest at 6 .I started him with squirrel hunting , then took him deer hunting .
He got his lst gobbler this year on our youth hunt . I got him a little bitty 410 that he can handle on his own.
He did really well ,  our hunt is on you tube " laikens 1st turkey " by t3 calls if anyone wants to watch it .
I put him in my lap , I told him when to move etc , but I didn't touch the gun until after the shot for safety reasons . I see so many kids even smaller then my boy killing turkeys with full size guns ,, I call bs on that .
He hasn't asked to go back ,, but when he does ?  We going again .  But only when he ask to go ...

falltoms

My daughter was 7 when she started,  she started out hunting squirrel and did well, she will be 11 in a couple months, she can take squirrel with 22 long rifle, I told her if she can do that (which she does), then the rest will come. She has harvested deer , and turkey.

tazmaniac

I started taking my kids to the woods as soon as they were out of diapers.

My daughter solo called her first tom up at age 3.  She's 18 now, and has never actually killed a turkey (no desire to actually shoot one), but has been with me multiple times and we enjoy the time together.

My 16yo son has killed 8 birds, first when he was 8 or 9.  He couldnt stay still when he was younger, but he enjoyed the time together. 

My youngest is 13, she killed her first and only at age 9.  I think the shotgun recoil bothered her and she has not wanted to go back.  I don't push it.

Generally, my opinion only, is that kids are NEVER too young to take hunting.  But keep hunts short and fun, don't hike them to death.  I don't think they are old enough to shoot a bird until they are capable of handling the firearm safely themselves.  Again, just my opinion and the way I raised my 3 kids in the woods.

We have a responsibility to introduce our children to hunting and the outdoors, but it's up to them whether they love it or not.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

nebgoosehunter

Quote from: huntineveryday on March 23, 2021, 01:53:20 PM
It sounds like I might be in the minority here, but my oldest shot his first turkey when he was 6. He shot another when he was 7, and he filled 3 tags last year at 8. He has taken 5 shots to harvest those 5 birds. He has been hunting with me since he was 3 for doves, turkeys, ducks, and coyotes. He has so been outside as soon as I get home hunting helping clean and prepare everything from quail to deer over the years.

The first year he asked about shooting one on his own we reviewed gun safety, practiced shooting a 20 guage from a seated position with shooting sticks (same as he would be shooting from the blind, and we looked at a lot of photos and videos of turkeys so he could tell me where he would aim. He did great in all those areas, so I got him a permit and we hunted. My daughter was 6 last year and voiced a little interest,  but wasn't ready yet. If she's interested this year we'll go through the same steps to see if she's ready or not.

I think it all comes down to the kid. They need to be able to safely handle the firearm in the same situation they will be hunting, to be able to shoot well enough to make a clean kill, and to be able to understand the implications of killing an animal. If they demonstrate all of those, then they're ready to hunt. If not, they aren't, regardless of age.

I agree with all of this.  My oldest was six last year when he shot his first turkey.  The kid has way more hunting in his blood at his age then I ever did.  I never fully caught the bug until I was probably 15.  My second is five now and loves hunting, but I don't think he is as crazy about it as his older brother.  He thinks he wants to shoot one this year, but I don't think he is near ready.  He'll probably need another year or two.

Hwd silvestris

Take them whenever they want to go!
My son started tagging along at age4.
Maybe a half dozen hunts that year.  I carried him in on my shoulders in the dark.  When he did walk in he would have a death grip on my hand.  I don't think he really cared about turkey hunting other than just spending time with me. The Lil fellas hear a lot more noises in the dark than they do in daylight.   
U rely all on ears when u can't see.

Age 5 we bumped alot of turkeys.   I bought a pop up blind even though I hate them. It was either that or continue to hunt together without killing a turkey. I wanted to keep him interested so I did what I had to do.  I had a spot that was a pine ridge that was guarantee 1 turkey per year.  I killed one in front of him that year and he was hooked.

Age 6 he killed his 1st turkey from that same pine ridge from that same pop up blind.  He went ever time I went on weekends.

Age 7 killed one

Age 8 he limited out. One in blind and two sitting beside a tree. No more popblind hunts for us.

Age 9 killed one missed two. One my fault.  Long story!! Forgot to load gun (rookie move) and the other was turkey was two close.

Age 10 now he missed one this past Sunday morning.  Woods are still really open.  I put him in the best spot I thought for him to kill and put myself  15 yard away. Closest spot for me to hide.  He saw the gobblers running up the woods road 200 yards away.  They popped up over the last ridge and stopped for a second and he thought they were bout to leave.  So he shot. Way too far. 61 yards.  It was unfortunate that I couldn't sit right there with him and help coach him. 

A man will have to accept the fact that he will not be as nearly successful as he would hunting solo.   But the memories you make with your best buddy are priceless.   It's just a additional blessing if you get a bird.  I love to kill turkeys as much as the next fella but I would rather him kill just one than me a pickup bed full of turkeys.  He loves it!  He doesn't let me go much without him. 
Im starting to believe I have forgotten how to hunt effectively by myself.  I tend to be too conservative as I am with him.  Make it fun for em.  Enjoy the moment. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

My 6 yo daughter goes with me a few times a spring for an afternoon hunt.  She's just a tag along. She thinks she's ready to shoot one,  reality is it might be next season.  But we have an ok farm to hunt and the perfect setup for an afternoon with the .410.   She will sit in a deer blind in the worst conditions and usually not complain.  This past dove season she came with me.  Turned into a photo shoot of her playing in the tall grass instead of shooting at dove.  The only time I really make her sit still is the last 45 minutes of light during deer season.  Other times we may just go wander around looking at stuff.  Shes shoot a few different guns since she was 4 and enjoys it.  Just needs more practice. 

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

bigriverbum

Quote from: roberthyman14 on March 23, 2021, 07:42:39 PM
She will sit in a deer blind in the worst conditions and usually not complain.  This past dove season she came with me.  Turned into a photo shoot of her playing in the tall grass instead of shooting at dove.  . 

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

lol

cute

bigriverbum

i don't think i've ever been reckless or too irresponsible, but hunting with my nephews the last few years has really reasserted gun safety into my mind

Hwd silvestris

Take them whenever they want to go!
My son started tagging along at age4.
Maybe a half dozen hunts that year.  I carried him in on my shoulders in the dark.  When he did walk in he would have a death grip on my hand.  The Lil fellas hear a lot more noises in the dark than they do in daylight.   
U rely all on ears when u can't see.  I don't think he cared that much about turkey hunting other than spending time with me while doing something I'm very passionate about. 

Age 5 we bumped ALOT of turkeys.   I bought a pop up blind even though I hate them. (Should have bought it the year before at age 4 but I'm a slow learner)! It was either that or continue to hunt together without killing a turkey.  I wanted to keep him interested so I did what I had to do.  I had a spot that was a pine ridge that was guarantee 1 turkey per year.  I killed one in front of him that year and he was hooked.

Age 6 he killed his 1st turkey from that same pine ridge from that same pop up blind.  He went with me ever time I went on weekends. At the time that was the only days I could get a hunt in. 

Age 7 killed one blind

Age 8 he limited out. One in blind and two sitting beside a tree. No more popblind hunts for us.

Age 9 killed one & missed two. One my fault.  Long story!! Forgot to load gun (rookie move) and the other was turkey was too close.(7 steps)

Age 10 now and he missed one this past Sunday morning.  Woods are still really open.  I put him in the best spot I thought for him to kill the turkey and put myself 15 yard away. Closest spot for me to hide.  He saw the gobbler running up the woods road 150 yards away.  He popped up over the last ridge and stopped for a second and he thought they were bout to leave.  So he shot. Way too far!  61 yards.  Turkey flew to next ridge and started gobbling again.  It was unfortunate that I couldn't sit right there with him and help coach him. 

A man will have to accept the fact that he will not be as nearly successful as he would hunting solo.   If you can't accept that then you better leave the kiddos home.  If not you will end up mad and then they will not want to go.  But the memories you make with your best buddy are priceless.   It's just a additional blessing if you get a bird.  I love to kill turkeys as much as the next fella but I would rather him kill just one than me a pickup bed full of turkeys.  He loves it!  He doesn't let me go much without him and I love it. 
Im starting to believe I have forgotten how to hunt effectively by myself.  Even without him I tend to continue to be too conservative as I am with him.  Make it fun for em tho! Let them scratch on calls and ask for their advice.  My son will thanked me the other day because I ask him what he thinks we should do.  Enjoy the moment.  It will have to be perfect and all the stars will have to allign for the Lil guys to connect on one. I apologize for all the rambling

Good luck bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hook hanger

Quote from: guesswho on March 23, 2021, 12:29:35 PM
I was six and on the trigger, and look how I turned out.  Ok, bad example.  But I knew exactly that when I pulled the trigger that somethings life was going to be over, at least in theory.   But I had been around all aspects of hunting from day one.   The killing, cleaning and eating.   I was exposed to the cleaning and eating before the killing.   If your old enough to kill an animal then I think you should be old enough to run your arms up into a deer or hogs chest cavity and pull it's heart and lungs out.   I know it sounds harsh, but if your not ready for that then I don't think your ready to be on the trigger.    Agree, every child is different.  Some are ready young and some are never ready.   Nothing wrong either way.

I'm all for this. I too was introduced to the cleaning/butchering aspect before I was ever allowed to carry and pull the trigger. If your kid won't get inside a rib cage of a deer and pull out the inards or at least try then they have no business pulling the trigger. Kids in my opinion don't need to sit in a blind either. If you haven't taught your kid to be patient and how to sit still you don't have any business taking them either.

LRD

It all depends on the child and their ability.  I made sure mine was able to adequately shoot prior to going. My son and daughter both killed their first deer at 6 but could shoot on their own with a rest. My daughter hasn't shown an interest in turkey hunting,  but I felt my son was ready at 7.  He killed his first bird at 8 with no blind and held the gun on his own. I personally feel that 4 is too young but up to the parent to decide. I didn't let mine go until they could demonstrate that they could effectively handle the gun and shoot.