OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli m2 tss problems

Started by TJclay, March 20, 2021, 07:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJclay

My gun is a m2 with a 21 inch barrel. I am trying the federal heavy weight 9 shot. I've tried 3 different chokes. I tried a Carlson long beard choke with is .665 and I got 180 in the 10 at 40 yards. I tried Carlson's tss tube which is .650 and i got 120 in the 10 at 40 yards. I tried a jebbs .650 and got 220 in the 10 at 40 yards. I'm new to shooting tss and maybe I had my hopes to high but I thought I should be getting better numbers. I would appreciate it if someone can shed some light on which direction I should go or if I should be happy with the 220. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC0331

Unfortunately it sometimes takes some experimenting with different shells/choke combinations to figure out what a shotgun likes. I have several different shotguns in same caliber and none use the same choke.  Also make sure if you are trying to compare different shells that they all have equal loads. I certainly hope you find what you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TJclay

They are all federal tss #9

USMC0331

2 of my Benelli liked a comp n choke 665 and one liked the Briley 670.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Amcglohon

I just patterned my M2 with a Comp N Choke 660 and put 292 in a 10" at 40.

TJclay

My mossberg 500 liked a comp n choke. I hadn't thought about trying them.  It doesn't seem like anybody talks about them much.

Borden811

For what it's worth, my m2 with a 21" barrel was the most finicky gun I've ever patterned. It just didn't throw high numbers with any choke I tried. Finally broke 300 with a Sumtoy 650 (320-330 consistently) and the federal tss 9s. Shot in the mid 200s with an Indian creek 665 and a Jebs 650.

TJclay

Thanks I will call sumtoy tomorrow and talk to them.

PennBirdy

My experience with two different 21" 11-87s I've had with federal TSS #9s was to choke them heavy. I ran just a normal Carlson's .640 non-ported turkey choke and the results were excellent. I've never been one to count #9 holes, so I can't give you a count. No turkey was surviving at 40 and well beyond though.

TJclay

I tried the non ported Carlson choke that's for tss. It's a .650 and it was by far the worst pattern that I've seen out of the gun. I really thought it would do great to because the Carlson long beard choke done great with the long beard 5 shot.

7shooter

Have you tried the factory full choke with TSS?

TJclay

No I haven't yet.