turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A " Good" Problem/ Who Else?

Started by quavers59, March 16, 2021, 03:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Ok- so my 32nd Spring Turkey Season is coming up in New Jersey + New York. My " problem" is not really a problem- just far too much of a good thing.
    Now,I  have 4 Huge areas in New York + 4 huge areas in New Jersey to choose from. And,I  have " Honey Holes" on all these areas through Hiking since, I Hike the year round.
   Now that,I  am 61, I  am trying to cut this in half and concentrate  on spots that, I  favor over my other Honey Holes. Or at least just Scout those areas.
   I have clued 1 close friend in to a few Honey Holes + 1 more friend will get a great spot that,I won't hunt this Spring. And they both have " Tight Lips".
    Now ,I  have run into a number of Spring Hunters who will just Hunt- " the same huge field" every Spring. That's  their Spot. If someone gets to that Field first- they probably  will just hunt another area of that same Field.
   That is the other end of the spectrum- the 1 Spot Spring Hunter.
   So who else has 20+ Honey Holes that is getting tougher to cover and have pared it down to 10 or so proven areas on Public?

Yelper

rakkin6

For me it's a little different I live one mile across the state line from Kentucky in Tennessee about 40 miles north of Nashville. Recently I retired from the Army after 23 years of active duty and I am staying here next to Fort Campbell which is the base I retired from. Mainly I hunt on the base being a retiree and 100% I typically get the areas I want. But the problem is that you can't just go into any area you want on the base and hunt. They put out a list of areas every week that will be open for that week and you have to check into an area the night before online and it's first come first serve and once an area is full that's it. For that next days hunt for that area. So you may not get your first or second choice. Plus out of the 52 areas they have that can be hunted it changes from week to week. So I have to scout a lot which I love doing not complaining I get out and look for sheds also. Especially now that I am retired I have scouted more than ever before. I say all that to say this year my spots have expanded. I did acquire some private land in both Kentucky and Tennessee this year to hunt on also. Which is a first for me. Didn't mean to hijack your thread it just got me thinking about it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

GobbleNut

Some of us are just fortunate to live in places where public land is abundant.  I am in the same boat.  I could hunt a different piece of public ground every day for the rest of my life and never cover what is available. 

One of my most favorite hunting tactics anymore is to pick a spot I have never been to or one that I am not terribly familiar with, take off before daylight on a morning, and find a gobbler and kill him that day.  I just like that challenge more than going to the same old spots that I know where it would be considerably easier to kill a bird.

Now, admittedly, as the season wears on and I still have a tag (or two) left in my pocket, I am more likely to hit those more familiar areas to avoid the dreaded "tag soup syndrome".  I like a challenge, but I also like to shoot a gobbler once in a while!   ;D

Gobble!