OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Strutter Decoy!

Started by mnhunter2, March 14, 2021, 10:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 16, 2021, 12:40:19 PM
MK, I brushed white krylon over my stuffer strutter years ago, i think it was Knight and Hale when they came out with the pretty boy deke talking about the white head!

Deadly, however once I got the DSD jake I just never tote that big thing around!

Yup, first commercially available "White Head" I seen was the Pretty Boy, he was released in 2003, then Primos B-Mobile in 2007. Somewhere after 2001 I was "Building" and selling these to customers at the store. I started making more mods and upgrades in decoys. There was King Strut when Flambeau bought Feather Flex and he went flocked. In 2011 I bought my first DSD a Upright Hen, after her I bought the DSD Strutter and added all my mods to him DEADLY, I started modding them and selling these right away killed my first bird over him in 2012, I was holding seminars and was getting customers asking for that decoy. Eventually I was emailing back and forth with DSD because customer wanted them direct from DSD. I would have to look at my notes and see when DSD released one, think 2018. I have no idea how many I made over the years but was a lot. Just seen this year Avian-X released a Strutter with a White Head and called it "New" and Revolutionary" LOL I'm like ummm yeah 22 years ago...

Part of the reason I went to the new Jake Strutter, I wanted that smaller body size, mobility and weight. I "Gobblerized" him added my White Headed Design and hunt him as a Tom. Results yup still DEADLY!!

MK M GOBL

huntineveryday

I have a primos Killer B. Killed some fired up toms over it, but scared off a lot of insubordinate toms as well. It seemed every now and then it'd work incredible, but the times it didn't it hurt my chances. I've had a DSD 1/4 strut the last 3 seasons and it's just deadly. The thing is bulky and heavy, but it gets toms and jakes up and in its face every time. I think DSD just got the size and posture of that decoy right, and that's where the difference is. Just enough to make everything see a challenge, but in a way that everything thinks they can get in its face and run him off.

Turkeytider

Seeing more talk about limiting decoy use. Alabama will prohibit decoy use for the first 10 days of the season starting in '22. Trying to lessen early season gobbler harvest to optimize bred hen numbers.