turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tribute to my son Devan - Graduating High School

Started by flintlock, May 25, 2011, 08:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

"If I was half the man he is I'd be twice the man I am."   That is a statement I have made about my youngest son (Devan) for the last few years as he has matured into not only a man, but a responsible follower of Christ.   I always joke with others that My wife was the positive Christian influence on him and I brought the "redneck". 

It has been a true blessing for me to raise this son, to take him fishing....

...to be close to him when he took his first buck and see his face when he exclaimed, "DAD, WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH MY LEG", as it shook out of control w/buck fever, after he shot the buck at 10 yards.  LOL!!!

....to watch his eyes as the first gobbler answered and to hear his heavy breathing as the bird came into. then see him succeed with the shot.....and the other turkey adventures!

....to sit beside him in church all these years and hold onto the scripture: "Train up a child when he is young and he shall not turn from it"....and to see him make the right choices that I never would have made.   

...to see him do stuff the "old way" in a generation that largely doesn't seem to want to know, or care....

...to take him in the squirrel woods and enjoy the simple pleasures of an early fall hunt...Not just the kills, but all that goes with a trip to the woods.

And for those other special father/son outings I shall always cherrish and never forget...

Devan's last day of high school is almost here and his graduation party this weekend.  I will certainly miss this son of mine, as he goes to college this fall and starts a new chapter of his life.  I will miss his strong hugs, his constant cracks on my height and age, and most of all his example to me in treating others, and his reverence and committment to the Lord.

Love you son!
Dad
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Hawkfarm

Congratulations to Devan, Wess.   And to you and to Beth.   There is no telling how many lives he will touch during his lifetime with his fine upbringing.   

Preacher

Good stuff right there,  I know you are mighty proud of him and you should be.     Congrats to both of you!!!!!!!
Romans 8:37

redarrow

Quote from: catdaddy on May 25, 2011, 08:58:37 AM
The old saying is true " The apple doesn't fall far from the tree".  Thanks for sharing those pics--I loved every one of them.
Oh yeah,definitely what Tom said. Take some time to pat yourself on the back Wess. You done good.

TRKYHTR

That was a great tribute to Devan. I can attest to the fine young man he is becoming and it wa an honor to share the turkey woods with him last year in Kentucky. WTG Devan. You da man.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Basser69

Congrats! Be proud of him and yourself for what you have done

guesswho

Nice tribute and good job all these years.  Congrats to you and your family and good luck in the future Devan.  No telling what his next chapter will bring, but I'm sure it will be possitive.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Hognutz

Wess..
This thread of yours is a testament to the virtues that you have instilled in your son, Devan. I have never met either of you, but I know that both of you are men of God. Your integrity shines through everytime we talk. You are a blessed man to have a son that has his father as a best friend. That is priceless. May the Lord continue to shine his grace upon your family. Way to go, Devan..Mike  :cross2:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

vaturkey

Great tribute to a fine looking young man. Good luck Devin in your future endevors. Thanks Wess for sharing those great memories.
Vaturkey

vicksburg

]

barry

bird

What a outstanding tribute to your son Wess.  Thank you for sharing your love and pride for him with us all.

Al

strutnva

wildturkey6

The foundation was built by your families commitment to God and the way you brought him up. The time you spent bringing him along with you to do everything you did is the reason he has made you so proud. Its not often heard of that a parent takes the time to raise their children these days with mother nature and what God has give us for free,but it appears you are reaping the benefits of doing so now.Congrates Devan on getting that much needed education and striving to make your parents proud. They say life is no rehearsal,you only get one chance and you learn that by the seat of your pants.  And congrates to you and your wife Wess for a fine job.

chatterbox

Quote from: bird on May 25, 2011, 02:04:16 PM
What a outstanding tribute to your son Wess.  Thank you for sharing your love and pride for him with us all.

Al

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great job, Wess.