OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 500 Safety Fail

Started by Planner, March 14, 2021, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planner

I bought my daughter a new 20 Gauge Mossberg 500 for this season. We took it on the maiden voyage this weekend for the youth season. We had five gobblers at 10 yards just after daybreak and as she went to shoot she couldn't move the safety. I reached over and it wouldn't budge. I ended up taking the gun from her and it never moved. After getting home I searched and found this is a pretty widely accepted issue by Mossberg. What a disappointing way to start a season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: Planner on March 14, 2021, 08:51:00 PM
I bought my daughter a new 20 Gauge Mossberg 500 for this season. We took it on the maiden voyage this weekend for the youth season. We had five gobblers at 10 yards just after daybreak and as she went to shoot she couldn't move the safety. I reached over and it wouldn't budge. I ended up taking the gun from her and it never moved. After getting home I searched and found this is a pretty widely accepted issue by Mossberg. What a disappointing way to start a season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So sorry this happen. I only have one Mossberg 500 and it's 12 ga. and the safety has always released but it's pretty hard to push to released. Interesting ...

rakkin6

Same thing happens on my 535 12 gauge. Luckily I got it back from the gunsmith a week before the season started that year and was still able to pattern it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

briton

There is a small ball bearing under the sliding safety button and a small block on the inside of the receiver. I noticed I had to push down hard and then forward to get mine to move before it was broken in. One time on a dove hunt the small sliding block that the safety screw screws into on the inside of the receiver came loose from the screw and locked the gun up solid. I like mossberg but I am not a fan of the thumb sliding safety

njdevilsb

I had this issue on my 535 after a few years of use.  I think somehow the ball bearing had become lodged and I couldn't budge the safety.  I ended up buying a replacement safety kit that had the spring, ball bearing, and a safety with a raised up ridge for your thumb to push against.  It has worked great ever since.  It's much easier to use than the stock safety ever was.

Greg Massey

Quote from: briton on March 14, 2021, 09:16:43 PM
There is a small ball bearing under the sliding safety button and a small block on the inside of the receiver. I noticed I had to push down hard and then forward to get mine to move before it was broken in. One time on a dove hunt the small sliding block that the safety screw screws into on the inside of the receiver came loose from the screw and locked the gun up solid. I like mossberg but I am not a fan of the thumb sliding safety
X2 .. I so agree, i like the gun, but never have the safety..

dzsmith

Ive always been a fan of the 870 safety because I can use two fingers to slide it on and off safe without actually making any noise verses just pressing it from one side. I have a Mossberg 500 410 and I used to think I liked the safety on it better just for the simplicity of never having to take your hand off the gun, but seeing this thread kinda makes me scared of taking a Mossberg hunting.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

timberjack86

That's sucks, had several 500's and have never had that issue.

rakkin6

It happend with my 535 right after it got it, within about 2 months. No problems with my 835 or 935. Could have or is just an issue with the 500 series, I know that Mossberg was aware of the problem and thought they were fixing it on their newer models. But the OP said he bought his 500 new so maybe they haven't.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

mcracanoe50

Is it completely locked up or just super stiff?

What I have found helps if I get a super stiff one is trimming the spring.  A Google search will reveal the details that you're looking for.  I'm not a gunsmith, nor responsible for anyone's safety.  You should consider this advice with a grain of salt as I probably ate lead paint as a kid. 

Went through the same thing with my son's youth Mossberg.  His tang safety was stiffer than my 535 or 930.  It was insane. 

Dtrkyman

Must be a recent issue?  I have no clue how many Mossbergs I have handled, 100s for sure and have not seen the issue, but it has been a while since I have been around any.

I always liked a thumb safety!  Only ones I have now are on O/U.

mcracanoe50

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 15, 2021, 10:08:33 AM
Must be a recent issue?  I have no clue how many Mossbergs I have handled, 100s for sure and have not seen the issue, but it has been a while since I have been around any.

I always liked a thumb safety!  Only ones I have now are on O/U.

Same boat, handled 100's.  First one I saw was on my son's Youth 505.  Bought/sold another 510 that was the same way. 

At first I thought it was just my son not able to work the safety properly (trick is...push down and forward).  Then I tried it and went...what the hey...

btomlin

My nephew's 500 safety is "locked" forward(fire position) also.  It needs sent in to Mossberg.  I'm not overly keen on "gunsmithing" a trigger mechanism.

grayfox

Not the first time I've heard stuff like this. I have always really liked Mossberg pumps & have owned 3 in the past. Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not bashing Mossbergs. Many people have had good luck with them. Any gun can malfunction. The first one I owned I bought to rabbit hunt with years ago when I ran beagles. Never had any problems with that one. The last one was a like new 535 I bought from friend of mine to turkey hunt with. I was letting my step dad use it one morning when I called in 2 longbeards. The gun's trigger wouldn't pull when he tried to shoot. After a few seconds of applying some back & forth force on the slide it finally shot & of course it caused him to miss the bird. It WOULD have been his first turkey. Took it to a gunsmith & he couldn't find anything wrong with it so I sold it. Probably won't ever own another one at least for turkey hunting. If a gun ain't 100% reliable as far as I'm aware of it won't be in my gun safe very long. It's got to go bang when I pull the trigger!

lmbunch69

I've noticed the safety on mine gets really stiff when it's real cold weather. Not sure why but never have the issue when dove hunting but duck hunting around 20 degrees it seems to happen. I much prefer the safety on an 870.