turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Glad I’m stocked up on turkey ammo!

Started by chatterbox, March 13, 2021, 08:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

I don't think I have ever seen such a shortage of turkey ammo (ammo in general) in my life!
I typically buy my ammo around February, and I never saw Midway even stock turkey ammo!
We have some local shops that stock it, but it's one box per day, per caliber, per customer!
I have enough ammo to last several turkey seasons, and I'm also planning on taking (or attempting to) take one of my spring birds with a bow this season.
It's crazier than I have ever seen!
What's everyone's take on this?
Current political climate, shortage in general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Political climate is as much to blame as anything in my opinion. I have seen some turkey shells while out and about. I did notice prices have gone up a good bit. Saw a box of 7mag shells for 65 dollars the other day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

Beside the political climate we had a year of people out and about shooting up that ammo, most outdoor gear was scarce and still is.

I wish I would have kept a large gun collection I sold off, could have made some cash right now!  Never been an ammo collector but wish I had been, I worked at a shop for years, I should have invested all my life savings in guns and ammo, could have retired this year!

Yoder409

Fortunately, I have, over the years, accumulated enough turkey ammo to last me the rest of my life if I live to be 400 years old.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Turkeytider

Ammunition in general has been both hard to find and expensive, leading to a lot of hoarding I think. Pandemic, a less than friendly political climate, I think it`s a confluence of factors personally. I know we`ve never seen anything like it, certainly not in my seven decades on the planet. As for turkey ammo, thank the Lord that it`s not high volume shooting. I don`t travel to hunt, my guns are sighted and I only take a max of two birds ( usually just one ) a season. Don`t burn through a lot of shells so I`m set for probably the rest of my turkey hunting career unless something strange happens.

mountaineer long beard

7 million new gun owners in 2020 put a huge strain on the ammo industry. Add in the political climate and genuine fear of huge taxes being added to ammo and also the secondary market where people are buying available ammo just to resell at inflated prices and its a recipe for disaster.

Things will come around but almost certainly not this year. Powders and other reloading components are becoming more available online. I have actually seen enough turkey ammo this year to add a few boxes. Just got some hevi shot mag blends I hope to pattern before season.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Quote from: mountaineer long beard on March 13, 2021, 08:45:27 AM
7 million new gun owners in 2020 put a huge strain on the ammo industry. Add in the political climate and genuine fear of huge taxes being added to ammo and also the secondary market where people are buying available ammo just to resell at inflated prices and its a recipe for disaster.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Another thing is the fact that remington shut down and 20 percent of the ammo manufacturing went with it.  These three thing caused the perfect storm.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RED NECK

I have enough to last me,my kids and grand kids the rest of their turkey hunting lives and I am no where near done hoarding it.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

timberjack86

People buying them as fast as they hit the shelves with intention to resale. They keep the stock depleted thus causing panic buying. If people would quit buying so would the guys jacking up the prices and ammo manufacturers could catch up. This all started with the political climate and covid, now the guys buying it all up for profit are keeping it going.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 13, 2021, 08:34:54 AM
Fortunately, I have, over the years, accumulated enough turkey ammo to last me the rest of my life if I live to be 400 years old.
YEP!
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

NCL

Read an article yesterday in Task and Purpose that a factor in the ammunition shortage is the shortage of component materials worldwide. This materials shortage seems to be a problem in a number pf different industries. Hopefully with widespread distribution of the vaccine manufacturing will get back to normal in a few months

goblr77

I'm hopeful stock will pick up once the Covid scare is over this summer. If the general public continues to panic buy this will still be an issue though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dtrkyman

I have 15 rounds of TSS loaded, 5lbs of shot and enough components to load it so I am good on turkey loads for a bit.  I think that 5lbs will load 49 rounds.

i have been averaging between 8 and 12 birds a year though.

Sixes

Several years back when the first shortage of ammo hit, i told myself that I would not have that issue anymore if and when it ever got back to normal

Now, when I buy a new caliber or come across a really good sale, I buy it by the case. For the last few years, Midway and Dunns have ran huge sales right after turkey season, so I would stock up (hoard) what I needed.

IMO, if you didn't see this issue happening, it is your own fault. Inventories were slim last year too and flippers are destroying the inventory.

Prime example is a few years back, Palmetto State ran a clearance on Federal Fusion 300 WSM in 165 for 17.99 a box, normally anywhere from $33-39 a box, I ordered 20 boxes and told a buddy that he needed to stock up because it wont ever be cheaper.

He bought a box thinking it would last him. I then took him on a doe reduction hunt where he shot a few does, a coyote and hog and maybe missed a shot or two. This past season, he was whining about not being able to find any ammo and what he did find was above retail and I reminded him about the sale that he passed on.

I gave him a box but told him that I expected a new one back. (Just in principle).

I guess I am coming off as a jackass, but the writing has been on the wall about shortages for a few years.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sixes on March 13, 2021, 12:11:06 PM
Several years back when the first shortage of ammo hit, i told myself that I would not have that issue anymore if and when it ever got back to normal

Now, when I buy a new caliber or come across a really good sale, I buy it by the case. For the last few years, Midway and Dunns have ran huge sales right after turkey season, so I would stock up (hoard) what I needed.

IMO, if you didn't see this issue happening, it is your own fault. Inventories were slim last year too and flippers are destroying the inventory.

Prime example is a few years back, Palmetto State ran a clearance on Federal Fusion 300 WSM in 165 for 17.99 a box, normally anywhere from $33-39 a box, I ordered 20 boxes and told a buddy that he needed to stock up because it wont ever be cheaper.

He bought a box thinking it would last him. I then took him on a doe reduction hunt where he shot a few does, a coyote and hog and maybe missed a shot or two. This past season, he was whining about not being able to find any ammo and what he did find was above retail and I reminded him about the sale that he passed on.

I gave him a box but told him that I expected a new one back. (Just in principle).

I guess I am coming off as a jackass, but the writing has been on the wall about shortages for a few years.
X2.. I so agree with you, i do take offense to being called a hoarder of ammo. I shop year round for all my hunting needs including finding after season sales and taking advantage of these sells including ammo and other related items. These people who wait to shop a few weeks before season on turkey ammo or deer ammo, it's your fault in my opinion you have no ammo or have very little ammo. In the last couple of years you could see how all this politics was going to play out.. I CALL IT SMART BUYING NOT HOARDING. I don't call people who have stock up on TSS components to reloaded HOARDERS either, again these people are seeing the big picture of reloading and what benefits it's provides.