turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Glad I’m stocked up on turkey ammo!

Started by chatterbox, March 13, 2021, 08:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

It's outta control ive got 1 box of Lb xrs and that's it I was lucky to get them

captfire

I STARTED STOCKING UP 2 YEARS AGO NOW I HAVE PLENTY. I JUST SET BACK AND LAUGH AT THE PRICES NOW . AND THINK ABOUT THE GOLD MINE IAM SETING ON ....

Greg Massey

Yesterday while watching Jimmy Houston outdoors, he was talking about the shortage of Ranger boats and other type boats and he also said it was becoming a shortage in fishing tackle.  He said lead weights, rods and other products were in such high demand. In our local Walmart fishing weights and hooks are in very low supply. SO who do you think is going to get this lead first, the manufactures who can out bid the smaller manufacture is the one who's going to get what they need to keep manufacturing which will cause us the consumer higher prices in the future.

Sixes

It's a shortage of everything outdoor related.

I have a friend of mine that wanted to buy a side by side, he chose a Polaris Ranger Trail Boss with a price tag of 23K+. He could not find one anywhere in stock and had to order a 23K machine and it was a minimum 16 week lead time to get it.

I wouldn't think side by sides in that price range would be that hard to find, but I guess those stimulus checks allow folks to buy what they want.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 13, 2021, 08:34:54 AM
Fortunately, I have, over the years, accumulated enough turkey ammo to last me the rest of my life if I live to be 400 years old.
Me too!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

chatterbox

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 13, 2021, 01:00:05 PM
Quote from: Sixes on March 13, 2021, 12:11:06 PM
Several years back when the first shortage of ammo hit, i told myself that I would not have that issue anymore if and when it ever got back to normal

Now, when I buy a new caliber or come across a really good sale, I buy it by the case. For the last few years, Midway and Dunns have ran huge sales right after turkey season, so I would stock up (hoard) what I needed.

IMO, if you didn't see this issue happening, it is your own fault. Inventories were slim last year too and flippers are destroying the inventory.

Prime example is a few years back, Palmetto State ran a clearance on Federal Fusion 300 WSM in 165 for 17.99 a box, normally anywhere from $33-39 a box, I ordered 20 boxes and told a buddy that he needed to stock up because it wont ever be cheaper.

He bought a box thinking it would last him. I then took him on a doe reduction hunt where he shot a few does, a coyote and hog and maybe missed a shot or two. This past season, he was whining about not being able to find any ammo and what he did find was above retail and I reminded him about the sale that he passed on.

I gave him a box but told him that I expected a new one back. (Just in principle).

I guess I am coming off as a jackass, but the writing has been on the wall about shortages for a few years.
X2.. I so agree with you, i do take offense to being called a hoarder of ammo. I shop year round for all my hunting needs including finding after season sales and taking advantage of these sells including ammo and other related items. These people who wait to shop a few weeks before season on turkey ammo or deer ammo, it's your fault in my opinion you have no ammo or have very little ammo. In the last couple of years you could see how all this politics was going to play out.. I CALL IT SMART BUYING NOT HOARDING. I don't call people who have stock up on TSS components to reloaded HOARDERS either, again these people are seeing the big picture of reloading and what benefits it's provides.
This!!^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt76cmich

Looks like I have enough turkey shells to last me and the kids 63 years in 12 and 20 gauge. Might look for a.410 next year for the kids though, not sure if the oldest (4yo) can handle a 20 gauge yet lol.

I've actually had good luck here in Michigan finding Longbeard XR and Hevi-13. This was back in Jan/Feb. This will be my first year using actual turkey shells too lol.  Always shot #5 pheasant loads in my 20 gauge. Might look for some TSS to start messing with after the season.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

joey46

Does ammo have a shelf life?  I have plenty of what I need right now but some of the old white Hevi (still the best IMO) is from 2005.  I store it inside, climate controlled, not bouncing around in a hot truck box.  Never seen this discussed. 

mtns2hunt

Quote from: joey46 on March 13, 2021, 06:51:48 PM
Does ammo have a shelf life?  I have plenty of what I need right now but some of the old white Hevi (still the best IMO) is from 2005.  I store it inside, climate controlled, not bouncing around in a hot truck box.  Never seen this discussed.

You should be good to go. Climate controled and dry ammo should last 20 years at least. I recently shot some that was at least 30 years old and prior to that shot some old paper shells that were older with the print faded off. They shot fine but wish I had run them through the chrono.

I don't really understand all the crying about a shortage of Turkey ammo. I am seeing ammo in several different stores. It may not be your brand but will kill turkeys. Just pattern it and hunt.

I bet there is not a single turkey hunter that will miss opening day (provided they were planning on going anyway) due to not having ammo.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

surehuntsalot

I'm shooting  1964-65 30-06 ball and 1973 7.62x39mm ball through my rifles with no problems
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Spurs Up

Not entirely sure about ammo, but gun powder will deteriorate over time.

quavers59

I think ,I  have plenty of Turkey Ammo- BUT if ,I  run low, I am going to get 5 or 6 Hunts in with former President Jimmy Carter down in Georgia and see if,I  can get 2 big Georgia  Tom's before Jimmy Carter Tags out with his 3 Georgia  Gobblers-  :).

Turkeyman

Don't discount that element of Covid toilet paper hoarders who have now switched to ammo.

quavers59

Back around 1998 or 99, I  heard that the ACTIV Ammo company was going out of business. I loved that Ammo-- Nickel " Penetrators ".
    So, I  went to Thruway Sporting Goods in Walden,NY when,I   heard of a sale on these  ACTIV PENETRATORS.
   I BOUGHT A WHOLE CASE OF 25 BOXES OF 10 SHELLS IN 12 GAUGE - 3" SHELLS AT ( HALF PRICE)!! I gave some away,patterned slot of them and shot alot of Turkeys with them. I still have a bunch left

Tom007

Quote from: quavers59 on March 14, 2021, 08:15:40 AM
   Back around 1998 or 99, I  heard that the ACTIV Ammo company was going out of business. I loved that Ammo-- Nickel " Penetrators ".
    So, I  went to Thruway Sporting Goods in Walden,NY when,I   heard of a sale on these  ACTIV PENETRATORS.
   I BOUGHT A WHOLE CASE OF 25 BOXES OF 10 SHELLS IN 12 GAUGE - 3" SHELLS AT ( HALF PRICE)!! I gave some away,patterned slot of them and shot alot of Turkeys with them. I still have a bunch left

One of the best shells I ever shot. I only have 4 left. 3 inch nickel 5, 2 1/4 oz load. Unreal shell. I wish I followed your lead and bought cases of them. Kent bought them out I heard, thus you see the Kent Turkey Penetrator TSS loads. Haven't tried them yet, less than 2 ounces in the shells. All good things eventually get discontinued I guess.....
"Solo hunter"