News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

OT__________Unknown Shoulder Injury

Started by gatrapper, May 24, 2011, 08:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey y'all,

Maybe someone on here has had similar problems, but Im at my wit ends and looking for info wherever I can find it.

Few years back I hurt my shoulders.  Last summer was the worst.  I would wake up many mornings not being able to feel or move my arms.  Scared the heck out of me and I went to several doctors. 

None could figure out what was the deal.  I had nerve tests done, MRIs, etc, and nothing showed a thing.

I would have bad shooting and popping pain in the back of my shoulders, yet there was no issue.

At the gym now I can go to a bench press and pump out 10 reps, but after the 6th or 7th rep my left shoulder will pretty much stop so I can't push anymore.  I will deal with some discomfort, but its hindering my ability to go to a higher weight and further my exercises. 

I have a full range of motion too with no pain which is causing doctors to be unsure.

Idk what to do next.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

TRKYHTR

Have you had them look at your neck? The nerves that run your arm come from your neck.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

fl panhandler

I had nerve damage in my right shoulder that was thought to be from ligament or cartilage damage.  It turnd out to be damage from vertabrea in my neck.  After 3 neck fusions I still battle nerve problems still.  Good luck with your situation and I hope they can help you find some relief.
Rick

guesswho

Hard to say where the problem is.  Just do like I do, go until something comes loose, then it's pretty easy to find.  I'm scheduled for my third shoulder surgery on 6/13/11 to repair rotor cuff, labrum and to reattach bicep tendon. 

It does sound more like a nerve issue for you though.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

savduck

Years ago i had a class two seperated shoulder with a rotated collar bone and bone damage to the ball joint in my shoulder. I have very similar pains from time to time as you describe. i have full range of motion, but if Im doing military press after about 7 reps my shoulder will give out. I also cant throw a baseball like I once could.
Georgia Boy

gatrapper

Have had a full spinal and some other nerve test.  Had needles and electrodes stuck on and in me with electric pulses sent through them.  That test came back fine. 

guesswho

Quote from: gatrapper on May 24, 2011, 09:55:05 PM
Had needles and electrodes stuck on and in me with electric pulses sent through them.  That test came back fine. 
I had that done also.  Resulted in surgery on both hands and pending neck surgery, which I'm putting off as long as I can.

How did you originally hurt your shoulders?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

runngun

NECK INJURY  I would bet. Had neck surgery 7 years ago. I kept going to the doctor with "shoulder and arm pain" from being hit by a drunk driver head on. Finally found the problem, disc degeneration in c-spine (neck disc). Disc had deteriorated to almost nothing and was sitting in nerves.  Replaced with cadaver bones and a titainum plate. Still have some issues but it is a whole lot better. Go to C-Spine surgery and check out the information their. The website was provided by my surgeon pre-operation. I kept putting it off and had 21 cervical epidural injections I would have it done again if need be but would not have all those shot as they were just temporary fixes.

Good luck and God bless
        D Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

gatrapper

I don't have pain really though.  Only time I run into pain is when at the gym while lifting.  Its not killing me, but more of a really sore feeling.  Once that kicks in thats when it limits my lifting and pressing abilities. 

As far as how I hurt it, I honestly can't pinpoint it.  Years of playing lacrosse, weight lifting,  and slinging 1000's of deer every season may have done something. 

stinkpickle

Does it give you problems mostly as soon as you get out of bed and after you've been working out for a while?  It could be a nerve in you neck getting pinched only when you're lying down.  Do you get feeling back when you sit upright or walk around for a while?

stinkpickle

Muscle inflammation during and after a workout can play all kinds of tricks on neck and back nerves. 

gatrapper

Don't have any pain or problems until I hit the gym.  If I did 3-5 rep sets I may be good, but it seems after I hit #5 my left shoulder just gets sore and gets to the point where I cant push the weight up anymore. 

I have no pain or problems in my neck. 

Pain seems to be located where the pic says Teres Minor

On this picture it would be in the infraspinatus area.

I know I can rub my hands on the back of my shoulder area and I can push in and feel the ligament or muscle where the pain comes from. 

gatrapper

This picture looks like it highlights the area good

gatrapper

After doing some more reading I think that I may have an acute tear in my Teres Minor. 

TheTwistedOne

My guess is a muscle is getting inflamed during the workout.

Try icing the area for 15 minutes and then stretch well before you lift.  That may help you get through the workouts.  If that helps, keep doing it like that for a couple weeks.  After it heals up you won't need the ice anymore.