OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cadence

Started by Greg Massey, March 08, 2021, 10:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 08, 2021, 03:50:21 PM
In my opinion, cadence definitely matters. I've heard good callers in the woods, but because of the cadence I knew they were not turkeys. Whether it makes toms gobble more, who knows?
Personally, I start out calling softly in case there are turkeys close by that I can't see or hear. Then I slowly increase the volume. Unless I hear a tom gobble far off, then I call loud enough that I think he can hear me.
I think I do enough soft calling, but again, who really knows how the turkeys respond to you unless they gobble and/or come in? If you can't see the turkeys and they don't respond, how do you know how they reacted to your calls? ???
Yes, I definitely listen to the hens. I try to mimic them, and I get into a calling contest with them if they are try to steal the gobbler away. Some days all turkeys are vocal, other days only hens or only gobblers are vocal, and some days the turkeys are tight beaked. I try to mimic what is going on in nature, especially on the quiet days, then I stick to soft calling.
Who knows what's best or the right thing to do? Not me!! I just do the best I can.

Amen, great info, thanks. Best of luck this spring..
"Solo hunter"

Sir-diealot

I don't know where I picked it up but I will sometime if not often slightly purr into my very first yelp and carry on that way. I will also start into a sequence stop a half second and then carry on the series which is a tip I was given by one of the "Pro" hunters for one of the call making companies, has not seemed to help but just started to do it last year and the turkey were really quiet last spring, I heard far more gobbling in the Fall than I did during the Spring, I only heard one definite gobble the second to last day of the season and one that I think was a gobble but was so far away I was not sure.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."